Cost to own a triton is over the top

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: Cost to own a triton is over the top

Postby Thommo3337 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:28 pm

Capped price servicing is what it should be normal. Capped price should be the normal minus material in my opinion. They charge a disgusting amount here in Aus for the filters etc! You could by the oil air and fuel overseas for the price of an oil filter here and that's not talking about Thailand and other lower income countries (must be to make up for the 10 year drive train)
A Heroin Addiction Would Have Been Cheaper!!
Thommo3337

Postby Froggy on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:43 pm

Lee-thal wrote:the BEST time to have an SQL done is as soon as possible after an Oil change,

Realistically it should cost you maybe $30-40 tops to get it done.

Some dealers might kick up a stink but for the simple job it is it should not be an issue.

The dealer I went to the other week had it done quicker than the takeaway around the corner could produce a hamburger! ;-)
I was astonished at the difference it made on the way home. Definitely a noticeable change in power. It had been about 30k since last done + had new exhaust and k&n filter since (not sure if it makes a difference)
Froggy

Postby irwazza on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:00 pm

froggymicb wrote:The dealer I went to the other week had it done quicker than the takeaway around the corner could produce a hamburger! ;-)
I was astonished at the difference it made on the way home. Definitely a noticeable change in power. It had been about 30k since last done + had new exhaust and k&n filter since (not sure if it makes a difference)

How much they sting you froggy?
irwazza

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:32 am

Yeah it did take a while for them to make your lunch mate, LOL
Lee-thal

Postby Quinny on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:01 am

irwazza wrote:How much they sting you froggy?

... about $4.50 for a hamburger ... :roll:
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:57 am

Not around here Quinny, They charge like $8 for a hamburger!!!
Lee-thal

Postby fraz91 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 am

Lee-thal wrote:Not around here Quinny, They charge like $8 for a hamburger!!!

And they can't even get it made in the same time you can do an SQL? :shock:

Either they're busy, or they're very very complicated hamburgers! :lol:

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:28 am

They are just slow thats all, cant be that complicated to make a hamburger!!!
Lee-thal

Postby Blue on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:38 am

I still don't understand why a service on a Triton costs more than that on a K108, which includes chassis inspection and grease, 40 odd litres of oil, multiple oil/fuel filters, 2 air filters, oil change for the 18 speed box and oil change for two massive diffs and a computer dump and relearn...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Froggy on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:34 pm

Lee-thal wrote:They are just slow thats all, cant be that complicated to make a hamburger!!!

Not only are they slow, but they considered two pieces of toast a valid substitute for a bun which they ran out of...
And yeah I think it was about $10...
Froggy

Postby dirtpilot72 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:59 pm

Lee-thal wrote:Snowy, Trust me we wish we didnt have to do them either, But the cost of retooling the factory and changing the design cost mega $$$, which means the cost of the cars goes up, In the market the way it is now no manufacturer wants to increase the cost of the cars.

However in the 2013 model the tappet adjustment schedule has changed, it is now done at 30k, 90k, etc etc
so the cost will now be cheaper,

C-dale, Have the valve clearances been getting done? The Small quantity learn is a good thing on these engines, it basically allows the engine to relearn injection timing for optimum efficiency. Most people will notice a Diesel service from a Dealer when they drive out for this reason. It does make a real difference.

Most mechaincs these days charge the same amount in labour $$$ no matter where u go, its all the extra costs of oils, parts etc that makes the difference.

Cheers Lee

Nice, so i can expect a refund for the 60, 120 tappet adjustment. What will i do with the $800?
dirtpilot72

Postby dirtpilot72 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:01 pm

baileyana wrote:Just doing the figures on my 2010 MN GLXR Triton,
only ever serviced by the dealer by the book and dealer sticker,( SG Chambers)
just ticked over 70k,
total spent: $3414.48, (actual receipts )
this is service costs only, no tyres, fuel or repairs (no repairs as yet)

last Mitsubishi my family will buy, and we have had quite a few since a our first sigma,

Wait till you get to 90k, bend over and let them remove up to $1500. Then 10k later another $600 for the timing belt, then another $450 at 105k.
dirtpilot72

Postby Mooons on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:47 am

NowForThe5th wrote:four and a half years and 40,000km.

I think you need to stop typing & start driving :lol: :lol: :lol:
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:41 am

Dirtpilot,

This only applies to the 2013 model, it does not change the service schdule prior to it,
Lee-thal

Postby snowman on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:42 am

Lee-thal wrote:Dirtpilot,

This only applies to the 2013 model, it does not change the service schdule prior to it,

So lee did anything physically change or was it just a policy change?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:54 am

nothing has changed as far as i am aware,

but who knows what they have done
Lee-thal

Postby dirtpilot72 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Lee-thal wrote:Dirtpilot,

Ripped off.
dirtpilot72

Postby Lee-thal on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:53 am

At the end of the day its your car, MAINTAIN it the way you want, if you dont want to do it then DONT.

Just dont expect warranty to cover it if something goes wrong because you didnt service it as per the book
Lee-thal

Postby snowman on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:46 am

Lee-thal wrote:At the end of the day its your car, MAINTAIN it the way you want, if you dont want to do it then DONT.

Just dont expect warranty to cover it if something goes wrong because you didnt service it as per the book

well this is the point isn't it Lee. Clearly MOST people want to do what they need for warranty. if i knew that one model of car later, a high cost maintenance item (in this case tappets) have been removed from a number of services, due to 'policy' changes and not because the car is any better, i would have the shits big time.

Mate this is not a battle with you personally, but to some people $200-$300 is a lot of money. If MITS were serious about their long term clients they would retrospectively modify the service schedule on the existing fleet, without adversely effecting warranty.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:54 am

I dont disagree Snowy, but nothing is retrospective when it comes to a car, plenty of things change from model to model,

have they changed anything internally?? I DONT KNOW, they dont tell us that sort of information, i have asked but no one can answer the question.

so until we know that we are no closer to solving the issue.
Lee-thal

Postby snowman on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:57 am

fair enough. so i have done the 30k and 60k tappets. was seriously thinking about missing the 90k.

so based on your knowledge do you find they 'settle in' after the best part of 100k and that maybe every 60 is all that is needed? warranty aside of course.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:07 am

I have seen them go both ways Snowie, i have seen them be ok at 90k and i have also seen them loose and tight on different cars. BUT i have seen cars never have the clearances checked or adjusted and when we do them for the first time, SOMETIMES after 120000km and they didnt need any adjustment at all.

It comes down to the unknown, we just dont know what each car will do, if it was my car i know i would prob take the risk once its out of warranty and stretch it maybe every 45000 km but i have the luxury of a workshop to look after it.
Lee-thal

Postby snowman on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:18 am

Lee-thal wrote:I have seen them go both ways Snowie, i have seen them be ok at 90k and i have also seen them loose and tight on different cars. BUT i have seen cars never have the clearances checked or adjusted and when we do them for the first time, SOMETIMES after 120000km and they didnt need any adjustment at all.

It comes down to the unknown, we just dont know what each car will do, if it was my car i know i would prob take the risk once its out of warranty and stretch it maybe every 45000 km but i have the luxury of a workshop to look after it.

cheers. i keep asking if you can start a franchise down here. :roll: i'll keep asking....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:21 am

nah i like QLD too much!!
Lee-thal

Postby snowman on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:30 am

Lee-thal wrote:nah i like QLD too much!!

cloning mate, cloning. it is the way of the future. ;) :lol:
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Servicing