Decent 4WD Mechanic in Adelaide

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Postby godzilla_rising on Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:18 am

Morning all, well I think its morning, its just gone midnight where I am, ANYWAY,

I am looking for a good mechanic for when I get back in order to service the Triton. When I bought it, it had already done 60,000km, however, it appeared that the logbook hadnt been signed off for anything.

When I went to investigate a service, about the same time that I had it in for a suspension recall, in order to bring it back up in line it would have to have the 45k (all fluids) and 60k (valve adjust) service done. As I was nearing the 90k service where the fluids where done again, I thought I would wait until then. Mind you, for all that, I was quoted AT LEAST $1100. Now thats also not including the Airbag light which has come on recently (although I have looked at this in the forums, and it will either be the clock spring or a cable under the driver seat...I think). The car has now done 100k.

My initial plan upon return from the Middle East was to just take it to a stealer and get it all done and then try and find somewhere to do the rest afterwards. However, I am now hoping that if I can find a decent 4WD mechanic in Adelaide, any money that I save on the service I can put towards more toys for the car, all without the Minister for War and Finance finding out!!! ;)

So, fellow South Australian Trition Owners, what are your recommendations?

Oh, and I know, Ive been a little bit naughty with not getting it serviced. The oil etc has been serviced regularly, just not the rest.... :?
Godzilla Rising

"Kate's Dirty Sister" click here
2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Re: Decent 4WD Mechanic in Adelaide

Postby motoz on Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:45 am

What area of Adelaide are you in ?
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SecondEye on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:33 am

Ive always used Peter Laxton mechanical at 62 byre ave Somerton park though I think he is mainly petrol head but has had a long history of making hotrods etc so is sued to making things work when the system is not stock. Used him now for EVERY service bar one despite moving interstate a few times. However its my understanding that for the SQL (small quantity learns) and ecu flashes you still need to go to mitsubishi. Only Mitsi in adelaide i have heard a good comment about is southland (corner daws rd soon to move).
SecondEye

Postby godzilla_rising on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:39 am

motoz wrote:What area of Adelaide are you in ?

I live in Northgate. Im not really fussed if I have to drive anywhere to get a good job done. Like I said, Im just unsure if I want to use the Stealers, or even just your run of the mill places like Midas or what not.
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby TUFF TROOP on Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:07 am

If it hasn't been serviced regulary I'd be getting a minor done at a dealer, need to do a injector relearn Nd ecu update.. Also need to do a fuel pressure test on completion of doing the valve clearances to ensure no fuel leaks.. I do all mine at home, then do my inj relearns at work when i can!
TUFF TROOP

Postby godzilla_rising on Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:12 am

Cheers for that, it is certainly something that I will look into/keep in mind. You have to love forums...

Could a possiblity be getting a majority of the work done at "whatever mechanic" and then have it organised that on the way home to have the injector relearn, ecu update and fuel pressure test done at the dealer?
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby boycee on Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:15 am

Alltrac are good too. Seem to be decent rates too. ;)
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:39 am

If you want to get the dealers to do it either Southside or Port Rd Mitsi would be the go. I've had issues with the mob on North East Rd where they charged to do the valve clearances etc though didn't perform the work. This was evident whenI got the manifolds replaced on warrenty at another dealer. :evil:

As far as private mechanics I go to Drennan Motor Repairs in Marleston. Great honest family run business. Can stamp your book (has to use genuine Mitsi parts) He's been looking after out private and work vehicles for years. Highly recommended.

Ask for David 2a Commercial St Marleston 82974069

:)
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Servicing