Cost to own a triton is over the top

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Cost to own a triton is over the top

Postby baileyana on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:35 am

Just doing the figures on my 2010 MN GLXR Triton,
only ever serviced by the dealer by the book and dealer sticker,( SG Chambers)
just ticked over 70k,
total spent: $3414.48, (actual receipts )
this is service costs only, no tyres, fuel or repairs (no repairs as yet)

last Mitsubishi my family will buy, and we have had quite a few since a our first sigma,
baileyana

Re: Cost to own a triton is over the top

Postby snowman on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:41 am

no fixed price servicing on your model mate?

this is obviously a bit of a hot potato thread on this website. but i reckon there are plenty of 'quiet' readers who will agree.

i am one of them........... :roll: oh i am not quiet. :P

//edit; watch the petrol sniffers come out - problem is you can't get a petrol anymore :roll: . i think they have a pretty good argument on costs though.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:54 am

Sounds about right,

However if you had capped price service it would have cost you $2020 for the 15k, 30k, 45k and 60k services,
Lee-thal

Postby Tony on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:08 am

You may want to do your research on other diesel 4X4's before you jump ship unless down grading to a basic small car. Some cars are epic too dont worry. :roll: Especially lash adjustments and timing belts on quad cam V6's.

The reasonable running cost (for a medium sized diesel 4X4) of the triton was one reason why we purchased another one. 8-) I'm still happy with running cost on mine at 97k, although I do most of the servicing here in house. Parts and consumables are not that bad alone.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mudme on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:10 am

The prices for the capped price servicing is quite reasonable I thought
Mudme

Postby snowman on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:12 am

Tony wrote:You may want to do your research on other diesel 4X4's before you jump ship unless down grading to a basic small car. Some cars are epic too dont worry. :roll: Especially lash adjustments and timing belts on quad cam V6's.

The reasonable running cost (for a medium sized diesel 4X4) of the triton was one reason why we purchased another one. 8-) I'm still happy with running cost on mine at 97k, although I do most of the servicing here in house. Parts and consumables are not that bad alone.

i dont see any reason we cannot talk about other makes in here. that could be illuminating. :D

i reckon the Toyotas have a reasonable pricing of their cars. flame suit on. but i am after some feedback on this. my old man has had 4 cruisers now over the years and servicing is pretty mild for a large car, particularly a 4WD. his business partner had Land Rovers (defender and discoveries) and they were WOEFULLY expensive to service. made these Mitsubishi look positively cheap. :shock: :shock:

in the next year or so i will need a bigger car for a growing family and budgets get forever tighter......
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby c-dale on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:28 am

Can I ask why people seem to favour dealer servicing? If its not caped price than I cannot see the benefit over a good local bloke. My understanding is that as long as services take place on time and by the book that warrenty cant be denied without due reason (parts used during service is debatable).

Surely cost can be saved and equal if not better service recieved outside of the dealer network.
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:47 am

Just wondering if Bailey has ever serviced a 4wd or a diesel before?

Significant difference to a petrol or a normal car...

Fixed price servicing saves $1,400 :shock: that's not bad....

I also believe you MUST use genuine Mitsubishi parts if serviced by a local mechanic?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Sky Miner on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:52 am

Also doing the 7500k service (recomended by Mistsu) can add up pretty quick too.
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby baileyana on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:07 am

Homer wrote:Just wondering if Bailey has ever serviced a 4wd or a diesel before?

Significant difference to a petrol or a normal car...

Fixed price servicing saves $1,400 :shock: that's not bad....

I also believe you MUST use genuine Mitsubishi parts if serviced by a local mechanic?

good point Homer,
3rd triton diesel, MK,ML,MN, all run rural area, do tow a lot.

above figures don't include 70 k service invoice.

run a small farm and a small business, so I run a few vehicles petrol and diesel
the triton stands out ,

Its a good ute, very happy with its performance.
Other brand comparison is a good thing ,
baileyana

Postby Duck on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:17 am

I live in Brisbane & have never used the Mitsu dealer for servicing & I have owned 3 tiritons in my time, Petrol, Diesel, Petrol & only last year had a issue with a dealer not wanting to allow a warranty calim as I used a private mechanic to do all of my servicing, I rang Mitsubishi direct & was told by them that it is illegal to deny warranty claims because of using another mechanic it had been to court & the consumer won, she said obviosuly the service needed to be done as required but not requiring Mitsu parts ( they are not covered) but a mechanic is a recognised trade & if you are qualified you are qualified. a bit like an insurance company the first 2 answers are always no then if the customer keeps persisting then you actually look at the case. I agree the servicing is just too expensive, I suggest you find a local mechanic & spend the $3,000 a year you save on those small figurines that boggle on your dash at least you get something for it. :evil:
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby Lee-thal on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:28 am

Sometimes the difference between a Dealer and a Non Dealer mechanic can be quite a lot.

There are a lot of things the NON dealer cannot do for you, such as computer updates, Small Quantity learns and those small little issues they just dont know about.

Its up to you to find what suits you best, its not about the money but more the value for money you get.

I know a few non dealer mechanics that charge more than a dealer and do half the work.
Lee-thal

Postby c-dale on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:41 am

Lee, would you recommend the odd dealer service if you do not use a dealer generally?

For instance, i bought my car with 78000 on the clock, it now has 150000. I have never taken it to a dealer as I trust my mechanic and the car is running ok. However, i am not sure if any of the relearns etc. are a must.
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:25 am

If we weigh up the initial purchase price as part of the equation this whole argument becomes pointless. If you're saving $10-15k against a comparable Hilux (for example) at purchase time you're going to have to have a pretty bad service run to ever spend the difference.

I've used a mix of dealer and non-dealer servicing. In Sydney the cost difference is hard to pick (at least near where I live). If I lived in Brisbane I'd be dealer serviced all the way.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby snowman on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:31 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:If we weigh up the initial purchase price as part of the equation this whole argument becomes pointless. If you're saving $10-15k against a comparable Hilux (for example) at purchase time you're going to have to have a pretty bad service run to ever spend the difference.

I've used a mix of dealer and non-dealer servicing. In Sydney the cost difference is hard to pick (at least near where I live). If I lived in Brisbane I'd be dealer serviced all the way.

rightly or wrongly the same age Triton vs hilux will probably still have the $10-15k difference at sale time. ok so the price gap may have shortened a little but not as much as you would think.

that said i don't think this is as much about Mits vs Toyota etc but against the ridiculous cost to maintain these diesels. tappet adjustments every 30k is just bullshit in my opinion. i am not saying it is not required, but they should be designed so they are not required. :evil: :evil:
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:01 pm

Snowy, Trust me we wish we didnt have to do them either, But the cost of retooling the factory and changing the design cost mega $$$, which means the cost of the cars goes up, In the market the way it is now no manufacturer wants to increase the cost of the cars.

However in the 2013 model the tappet adjustment schedule has changed, it is now done at 30k, 90k, etc etc
so the cost will now be cheaper,

C-dale, Have the valve clearances been getting done? The Small quantity learn is a good thing on these engines, it basically allows the engine to relearn injection timing for optimum efficiency. Most people will notice a Diesel service from a Dealer when they drive out for this reason. It does make a real difference.

Most mechaincs these days charge the same amount in labour $$$ no matter where u go, its all the extra costs of oils, parts etc that makes the difference.

Cheers Lee
Lee-thal

Postby snowman on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:18 pm

Lee-thal wrote:Snowy, Trust me we wish we didnt have to do them either, But the cost of retooling the factory and changing the design cost mega $$$, which means the cost of the cars goes up, In the market the way it is now no manufacturer wants to increase the cost of the cars.

However in the 2013 model the tappet adjustment schedule has changed, it is now done at 30k, 90k, etc etc
so the cost will now be cheaper,

so you are one of the good guys :D :D so don't take offence.............

however, to retool that specific part of the engine manufacture might cost $50 a car :? lets double it at $100 that would easily cover it surely. So they will make us pay $400 every 30K instead :evil: . i can't write what i think about that. :evil: :evil:

it is because they make the cars cheap to get them out of the showroom and then let the dealers and their parts division ride the gravy train from there on in....... :roll: :roll:

it is THIS feedback and discussion that may just wisen a few prospective purchasers out there to rethink their decisions and ENFORCE some changes via their cash. This is why possibly the title of the thread should be changed to allow discussion on all makes!

so this 'change' to service intervals on the 2013 model. did they actually physically change anything or just move the servicing goalposts?
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:26 pm

Snowy, Dont worry no offence taken at all,

They have not changed anything that i am aware of in the 2013,

to change the tooling in the factory i have no clue what it would cost, i am sure if they could do it for the same price or cheap enough they would, there are always many reasons behind an engine design and why it is serviced etc etc.

I am not an engineer and would never pretend to know why they do what they do, but at the end of the day they are building a car for a cost, at the end of the day we all do our research when we buy a car (NOTE i bought my car before working for a Mits Dealer) and i knew what it would cost. and hey u can always do as much or as little servicing as you want and maintain the car the way you see fit. Its your car its your choice,

I can tell you that in parts there is bugger all margin compared to other manufacturers, Mits parts are pretty cheap on the whole comparing them to other manufacturers as well.
Lee-thal

Postby wake jake on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:33 pm

My hasnt been to a dealer since 30k it now has 88k. It has been serviced by my mechanic since 55k and UAV's mechanic before. Is it worth taking it in for these minor ECU relearns and whatnot? Or am I gonna be in for a big price tag like mentioned?
08 MY09 GLXR
Monster Rides
wake jake

Postby c-dale on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Lee answered that one a few post up Jake. Im in the same position as you but with a lot more k's on mine :(

Short answer, yep. Cost ???
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:50 pm

c-dale wrote:Lee answered that one a few post up Jake. Im in the same position as you but with a lot more k's on mine :(

Get it done on the 7500km intermediate service, supply your own oil. cheaper again. Not worth it supply your own filter unlesss you are using non-oem
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby wake jake on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:52 pm

c-dale wrote:Lee answered that one a few post up Jake. Im in the same position as you but with a lot more k's on mine :(

In holiday mode or I'm blind 8-) Got me intrigued now Ill go ask local dealer tomorrow. I will probably get the bring it and we'll see and then tell me I need 5 other things fixed too ;)
08 MY09 GLXR
Monster Rides
wake jake

Postby Lee-thal on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:25 pm

the BEST time to have an SQL done is as soon as possible after an Oil change,

Realistically it should cost you maybe $30-40 tops to get it done.

Some dealers might kick up a stink but for the simple job it is it should not be an issue.
Lee-thal

Postby TUFF TROOP on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:14 pm

These are cheap compared to a diesel patrol or a v8 landcruiser etc to service, even Navaras are expensive to service.

To be honest every car has to be serviced. If the car is what u want and like driving etc who cares what it costs to service at least it's gettin done and protecting your investment
TUFF TROOP

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:24 pm

snowman wrote://edit; watch the petrol sniffers come out - problem is you can't get a petrol anymore :roll: . i think they have a pretty good argument on costs though.

:D

But I do agree, $3400, or even $2020, is too much for just servicing costs. It's the nature of the beast though - these little diesels are hellishly expensive to service if done by a Dealer. It's not going to get any better either. We haven't got to the particulate filter deals yet. They will make the current costs seem positively thrifty by comparison.

Just had a quick look at the NRMA costs of ownership. No figures there for Triton but they do have some for the Challenger. Whole of life ownership costs come in at 82.23c/km, of which $48/week is fuel.

A couple of interesting comparisons:
The Toyota Kluger which is a petrol V6 came in only 5c/km dearer than the Challenger, with a fuel cost only $4.50/week more, despite being $6500 dearer to buy.
The Nissan Pathfinder (2.5l diesel) was $7500 dearer to buy but only 5c/km more expensive to own although fuel costs were $4.00/week less than the Challenger.

Comparing like for like was only really possible with the Toyota Land Cruiser. The petrol at $80200 had a whole of life cost of 132.79c/km with fuel costing $69/week. The diesel, at a whopping $90440, was a significantly more expensive vehicle to own at 141.15c/km even though fuel was much less at only $50/week.

Also able to compare petrol and diesel in the Pajero although the V6 is now only available in the Exceed. Diesel cost $77690 to buy against $74390 for the petrol. Fuel costs for the V6 were much higher at $64.49/week versus $44.10. However, total ownership costs for the petrol came in at 130.83c/km, only a cent/kilometre more than the diesel at 129.67.

Although not really detailed in the NRMA study, it is clear that the servicing costs are what makes the diesels so expensive to own.

For those of you who might be thinking Land Cruiser as the next vehicle I'd think twice. You could pretty much own two Tritons for the same cost.

Oh, by the way, because despite trying, I can't help myself, servicing costs for my V6 Triton have been just on $450 after four and a half years and 40,000km. It gets serviced annually, regardless of kilometres. Reckon I'd have to use an awful lot of fuel to make up the difference in servicing costs for the diesel. :lol:
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Next

Return to Servicing