2009 ML Triton Petrol 2.4 Oil Light on Idle

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

2009 ML Triton Petrol 2.4 Oil Light on Idle

Postby thertrius on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:11 am

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and tried to search for "oil pressure" and "oil light" and couldnt find anything meaningful so apologies if this information should have been found or posted elsewhere.

I recently purchased this ute and the stats are

2009 ML Petrol triton
52000kms
No service book - but it had been serviced at 50000kms as per mechanics sticker in the window
No idea of grade of oil but it looks clean when taking a sample with the dip stick
Oil level on dipstick appears higher than the high mark by a small margin
Drives fine - does not lose power up hills, no leaks evident, no unusual noises while driving

Everyday i use this ute to drive to work which is about 100kms one way 80kms of which is 110km/h on a highway.
after driving the highway section and getting back into the city i have noticed that at idle (stopping in traffic/red light) for any time > 90 seconds the oil can light turns red and flickers in and out. If i touch the accelerator, ride the clutch a tiny bit or roll forward due to a slope the light will go away for 90 seconds. Whilst on the car makes no noises. The temperature gauge reads as normal (smack bang in the middle).

Just wanting to know if anyone has/had/seen this problem before. Should i be worried? Any suggestions on what i should do in order of ease?

I am planning to change the oil & filter this weekend to see if it makes a difference - can anyone tell me what is manufacturer recomended?

if persistent i can think of the following things that it could be
1. oil pressure sensor
2. oil pump issue
3. engine is on the fritz (hope its not this due to only being 50000kms on the clock and without any noises/loss of power)

Any advice/opinions are highly valued.

Thanks
Thertrius :?:
thertrius

Re: 2009 ML Triton Petrol 2.4 Oil Light on Idle

Postby hvac guy on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:11 am

U need to put a pressure guage on it to confirm correctly

Ring the mechanic up and see what oil he put in it.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Duck on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:10 am

I would take it back to the mecahnic as he has just serviced it & get him to have a look, Sorry I could not be of any help, But I am sure the mechanic will want to continue the relationship with you to retain the service work. :D

thertrius wrote:Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and tried to search for "oil pressure" and "oil light" and couldnt find anything meaningful so apologies if this information should have been found or posted elsewhere.

I recently purchased this ute and the stats are

2009 ML Petrol triton
52000kms
No service book - but it had been serviced at 50000kms as per mechanics sticker in the window
No idea of grade of oil but it looks clean when taking a sample with the dip stick
Oil level on dipstick appears higher than the high mark by a small margin
Drives fine - does not lose power up hills, no leaks evident, no unusual noises while driving

Everyday i use this ute to drive to work which is about 100kms one way 80kms of which is 110km/h on a highway.
after driving the highway section and getting back into the city i have noticed that at idle (stopping in traffic/red light) for any time > 90 seconds the oil can light turns red and flickers in and out. If i touch the accelerator, ride the clutch a tiny bit or roll forward due to a slope the light will go away for 90 seconds. Whilst on the car makes no noises. The temperature gauge reads as normal (smack bang in the middle).

Just wanting to know if anyone has/had/seen this problem before. Should i be worried? Any suggestions on what i should do in order of ease?

I am planning to change the oil & filter this weekend to see if it makes a difference - can anyone tell me what is manufacturer recomended?

if persistent i can think of the following things that it could be
1. oil pressure sensor
2. oil pump issue
3. engine is on the fritz (hope its not this due to only being 50000kms on the clock and without any noises/loss of power)

Any advice/opinions are highly valued.

Thanks
Thertrius :?:
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby thertrius on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:31 am

hvac guy wrote:U need to put a pressure guage on it to confirm correctly

Ring the mechanic up and see what oil he put in it.

Pressure gauge. How do I do this? Is it as simple as swapping the oil pressure switch with a oil pressure sender and hooking it up to a gauge?
thertrius

Postby thertrius on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:22 am

Another noob question. How do i find the model number for the oil pressure switch that would fit?
there are more than a dozen on super cheap site made by tridon oil.

they dont have a list to match model number with car type/make that i can see.
thertrius

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:31 am

The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby thertrius on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:33 pm

Thanks Cowboy dave!

Anyone know of where i can get a service manual for this ute?

rang super cheap autos and a local parts supplier and both say they cant get it. dont mind paying for this. found some on ebay but they are either for diesels or dont specify.
thertrius

Postby thertrius on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:37 pm

New things to note
*If air con is turned on the light won't come on whilst idling as revs will be to high
*issue won't occur unless engine has been running for >30 mins

Today on the drive home I decided to change my driving pattern from keeping it between 2 and 3000 rpm to keep it between 3 and 4000 rpm. After doing this on the way home (110kms) the issue seems to have stopped.

Hopefully this means some gunk causing a low pressure blockage. Whilst not ideal I believe it's probably a better outcome than some of the other possibilities.

Will still do the oil and filter change and probably the oil pressure switch to this weekend.

Will keep posting as things develop but thanks so much for the help so far
- Thertrius. .
thertrius

Postby thertrius on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:15 pm

Took it in to Mitsubishi. They said they found it was a faulty pressure switch. Thank gosh! So relieved. They did it all under warranty even though I had no service manuals so pretty relieved (even though I was going to do it myself).
thertrius

Postby hvac guy on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:52 pm

Good news
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby scooperboy on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:58 pm

I have exactly the same problem with my petrol Triton. Hopefully mine is the pressure switch too...I'll take it in to the dealer when I'm nome in 2 weeks.
scooperboy

Return to Servicing