Mid Service Oil Change - 7500km

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Mid Service Oil Change

Postby Diddy on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:09 pm

Trust me guys good quality diesel engine oil n filters like castrol rx super ,delo 400 multigrade and fleetguard filters are good for 20000klms . Cos that's what the service intervals are on all of our heavy vehicle engines like Cat, Cummins and Mack and we are talking about engines that run 470-620hp and run 30psi turbo boost and work 24/7 and have 800000-1.4 million klms on them without engine rebuilds .
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Mid Service Oil Change

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:11 pm

Either search fumoto in the forum or google it. Actually perhaps do both because the thread in here has the part number from memory. The seller is in western sydney and is quite prompt with orders. You can order direct online.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Re: Mid Service Oil Change

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:17 pm

yer but you would say having these engines running at such low rpm continuously compared to our motors that rev high and are turned on and off all the time is like comparing chalk and cheese?
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby scubapro on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:07 am

slipn follow this link

http://fumoto.com.au/contact.htm
scubapro

Postby Steane on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:28 am

slipn wrote:I was wondering this same question actually..

I have owned plenty of cars, turbo, non-turbo, diesel and unleaded and to be honest I think 15,000 ks on the same oil is excessive i don't care what people say about new oils. My Triton only has 5,000 on it and the oil is already black.

Where can you get these easy oil drain valves from? Fumato ones??

I think I will change mine at 7,500

It's black because of the EGR system. There's a blank that will fix that... ;)
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Steane wrote:

I have owned plenty of cars, turbo, non-turbo, diesel and unleaded and to be honest I think 15,000 ks on the same oil is excessive i don't care what people say about new oils. My Triton only has 5,000 on it and the oil is already black.

Err... Not quite, it is black because the the detergent/disperant additives in the oil keep carbon (soot) in suspension. The egr blank wont stop the oil going black, just slows it down a little.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby trickydevil on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:39 pm

Check on ebay for the fumoto valves. That's where i last saw them.
trickydevil

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Longranger1 wrote:
Steane wrote:

Err... Not quite, it is black because the the detergent/disperant additives in the oil keep carbon (soot) in suspension. The egr blank wont stop the oil going black, just slows it down a little.

im going to agree with this comment, when i had my blank in it made about 3shades of f all difference to the oil just change it out with fresh stuff regularly and keep the filter 'fresh"
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby RockoWallaby on Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:27 am

Did mine at 7500k. Disgusting state to the oil at that mileage. Very glad i did.
However...
Bastards in the factory had done the filter up so tight, we ended up damaging a close turbo hose trying to get it undone. I mean, we ended up using 3 different professional filter wrenches, which all couldnt do it, and resorted to the old "whack a screwdriver through with hammer" technique, which is ludicrous on a new vehicle! Even this way, we barely got it off!
Torqued correctly, my ass! Idiots. :?

Im going to buy a proper faceted oil filter socket next time. Shouldnt need it, but some Bitsa idiots obviously cannot install an oil filter properly.
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby Kegsy on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:31 am

Yeah mine was the same, very first filter change.

Looked like the rubber seal was mated to the block dry, and it just locks on. Was a PITA to get off.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RockoWallaby on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:59 am

Wait till you try removing the fuel filter ;)
Gave up on that one. Leave it till the first service. :lol:
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby ag9111 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:30 am

Diddy wrote:Trust me guys good quality diesel engine oil n filters like castrol rx super ,delo 400 multigrade and fleetguard filters are good for 20000klms . Cos that's what the service intervals are on all of our heavy vehicle engines like Cat, Cummins and Mack and we are talking about engines that run 470-620hp and run 30psi turbo boost and work 24/7 and have 800000-1.4 million klms on them without engine rebuilds .

Have done some work for a freight company in Wollongong who have a fleet of Sterling prime movers which run a shuttle between Wollongong and Melbourne towing steel on flat bed B double's. These trucks are never turned off when they do a run, in theory. Driver starts in wollongong, he hands the truck over to another driver half way between Sydney and Melbourne and picks up an empty north bound truck, bringing it home to be reloaded for its next trip. At 2000km, roughly, a round trip it doesn't take long to rack up the kilometers. Cant remember the service intervals of the trucks but it was well over 10,000Km's.
If you only run down the shops and a 5km trip to work then change your oil more often. I do 60km each way to work everyday so i dont stress if I miss the 7500km oil change, but I still try to do it.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Intervals

Postby tritonmal on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:04 pm

Got a nm 2010 hp diesel. Thinking of changing the service interval from 7500 and 15000 to 5000 and 10000 k.... I don't think bruce (the ute) is liking the longer interval.... Comments ideas opinions suggestions???
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Intervals

Postby mattz on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:33 pm

It won't hurt.
Are you thinking of having the dealer do the 15k one and you do the ones in between?
Or doing all of them yourself?
When mine was under warranty I had the dealer do a service every 15k km and I was doing an oil and filter change at about the 7.5k km mark.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Re: Intervals

Postby tritonmal on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Thanks mattz. It don't sound right in the engine department. So I'm just thinking of going back to the old school of 10 and 5 instead of the 7.5 and 15 as the book says. ....
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

service intervals

Postby Gcmkt on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:06 am

Hello Gents

I've recently clocked up 5000km in my Triton. Its had the 1200km service (check over) and see that the next service interval is not till 15000km. It seems like an extended period to be running the same oil ect. This is the first diesel Ive owned and have heard that the oil should be changed every 5000km. Hoping that someone can advise what they do regarding servicing their vehicles.

regards

Matt
work, the necessary evil. I work to live, not live to work
Gcmkt

Re: service intervals

Postby Hondon on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:21 am

hi mate..most guys that have the same concerns as you do there own intermediate 7500 k oil n filter changes...and if your any thing like me I changed it at 5k and 10k ,as the donk was new and running in..then after the 15 k been done jst keep it at 7500k intervals ...others will tell you that it's unnecessary to do so though and that your only wasting your time , money , and oil ect ....so it comes down to personal preference ....if your driving it hard a lot of towing ect ect then I'd say the 7500 k would be recommended for sure... ;-)
Hondon

Re: service intervals

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:11 pm

Gcmkt, a quick search would have found many answers to your question. In fact I immediately found two other threads asking exactly the same question so have merged them all. Really, have a look first and ask in an existing thread rather than just start a new one. Having many threads on the same subject makes finding information much more difficult than keeping it all in one place. It also means that the question is already answered and you don't have to post at all, let alone start a new thread which a Moderator then has to tidy up and merge with another.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: Mid Service Oil Change - 7500km

Postby holbi on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:05 pm

Gcmkt
Doing a 5000 k service is something that Toyota push for their over priced, over serviced and over rated units. Changing the oil yourself at 7500 klm is a great idea if you are doing short trips, towing and/or sitting in heavy traffic. Then do the required logbook service through a dealer/mechanic every 15000 klm.
Happy trails.
holbi

Postby Robo1 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:54 pm

Why would you put 60.00 oil in motor and drop dirty oil from the filter in the clean stuff doesn't figure for me change one change both
Robo1

Postby Hondon on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:02 pm

Robo1 wrote:Why would you put 60.00 oil in motor and drop dirty oil from the filter in the clean stuff doesn't figure for me change one change both
think it goes without saying that you change the filter with the oil matey ;-)
Hondon

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:34 pm

Not necessarily.

There is close to 10l oil in these things and maybe 0.5l in the filter plus maybe another 0.5l throughout the engine. So, you're changing 90% of the oil and that is more than enough to recharge the additive packages that provide protection for the engine. Unless you're constantly operating in especially harsh conditions it is often not necessary to change the filter on the 7500km oil change. Don't forget that Mitsubishi have determined that 15,000km is a satisfactory interval so there's probably plenty of life in that oil being dumped at 7500km. It's an optional thing. Certainly won't hurt the engine to do the change, and the filter as well if you want to, but is most likely not necessary. What is is most likely to hurt is your wallet if you're overservicing.

Best thing to do is have your oil analysed after 7500km and see what that analysis says. Then do your servicing to suit.

For example, I do mainly short runs and every 10,000km is the sweet spot for me.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:06 pm

Also the oil filter change is not without risk. I'm sure many of us have read of ruined engines from filters changed where a second seal was left behind and resulted in a dry engine - including when dealers were doing the change.

Besides which, within 5 minutes of an oil change your new oil will be jet black unless you're running a blank - at least that's what used to happen to mine.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Cage on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:14 pm

I'm a little confused as to why you should change engine oil between scheduled services.

If MMA had any doubts about their service intervals I'm sure they wouldn't offer 5years/130.000k warranty.

Would they?

Or do they work on the old "let's cut the service costs down and then make life hard for the customer if it all goes pear-shaped' theory.
Cage

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:35 pm

It's an optional thing, Cage, and put there to cater for those vehicles which operate in severe service conditions. Severe means seriously severe, not just "I give it a bootful most days".

Today's oils are pretty good and a vehicle operating in average conditions could probably go to 25,000km provided that oil levels were maintained. My experience (15 years in the oil industry) was that whenever we did service recommendations for bigger fleets based on oil analysis we were able to extend the service intervals. Any recommendation like that means big savings for a fleet operator, in labour, materials and downtime. Even then we knew we had plenty of reserve in the oil and Mitsubishi are no different.

They've recommended a 15,000km service interval which has plenty of safety factor built in. There is no way they'd be taking the risk of exposing themselves to too many engine rebuilds or replacements.

For my own vehicle I use 10,000km intervals because that's about a year's driving these days and it's good to give the car a thorough once over annually. It also means that I comply with Mitsubishi's warranty requirements of "15,000km or annually, whichever occurs first".
Chris

NowForThe5th

PreviousNext

Return to Servicing