Diesel decarb re intake manifold offered by the dealer.

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Diesel decarb re intake manifold offered by the dealer.

Postby Pom10 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:56 pm

Hi I have just had the 45k service for the 2.5 TD I raised the issue of the the engine feeling sluggish and the dealer recommended to do a diesel decarb as this May help the issue for a cost of approx $170.00
Any thoughts and advise in the diesel decarb on the in take manifold

Cheers
Pom10
Pom10

Re: Diesel decarb re intake manifold offered by the dealer.

Postby biggibbo on Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:50 pm

If the dealer believes there is carbon build up in the intake manifold, then they should be removing the manifolds and cleaning them under warranty.

That said $170 is very cheap for the hours it takes to do, so would suggest they are either giving a massive discount, or a doing it dodgy- eg spraying a decarboniser down the intake

Either way I would be asking maore Q's from the dealer
biggibbo

Re: Diesel decarb re intake manifold offered by the dealer.

Postby jt1986 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:41 pm

if its carboning up it should be a warranty claim. u might have to kick and scream a little bit for them to remove and clean the manifold like a few ml owners had me included. its a big job and if its like the ml there is normaly a decent waiting line for it so they normaly try to avoid it

the $170 sounds similar to wot most mechanic would charge to do a 'de-carbonation' which is a machine that pumps a gas through the engine while its running that helps loosen and remove carbon in theory.
jt1986

Return to Servicing