thicker lsd oil.

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: thicker lsd oil.

Postby MitchMN on Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:46 pm

yeah my traction control has never really worked either, dont know what they were thinking replacing the lsd with it.
MitchMN

Postby Calblitzen on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:55 pm

I have the TC to work quite well. Has got me through some interesting stuff.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby Amaroo on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:59 pm

Calblitzen wrote:I have the TC to work quite well. Has got me through some interesting stuff.

I would have said the same thing a while back, it got me through wombat holes with wheels lifted and through slippery climbs and you could feel it working and keeping forward progress. Now though I just lose traction and no matter how low speed and controlled the wheel spin nothing happens, not like it used to be.

I don't know what could have changed?
Amaroo

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:07 am

Brake pads/shoes, drum/discs worn' glazed?

I'd imagine if you're doing a lot of moderate 4wheeling the brakes would be copping a hiding.

Traction control must be a goldmine for the spare parts market.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Amaroo on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:19 am

RHKTriton wrote:Brake pads/shoes, drum/discs worn' glazed?

I'd imagine if you're doing a lot of moderate 4wheeling the brakes would be copping a hiding.

Traction control must be a goldmine for the spare parts market.

None of the above mate, it's not even activating. Still kicks in on wet roads if you push hard into a corner but low range offroad it's not activating like it originally did. Brakes work as good as new.

It hasnt had a hard time working either, I reckon if you totaled up all of the traction controls "on time" since I have owned it the total would be about 2 min or less. It's rarely ever had to kick in for more that a few seconds at a time, maybe 7 or 8 second would be its longest effort in one go.

I'll elaborate a bit more on why I think it's been a software change.

For a long time when ever I went offroad I had to hit the ASC button and switch it off or it would cut power at the slightest hint of wheel slip or when the yaw sensor thought things would be going too sideways. It was very obtrusive and annoying. Recently I did some of the loosest and steepest tracks I had driven in the Triton, and had forgot to turn the ASC off at one point after stalling out the vehicle. I was surprised later on when I saw I had forgotten to turn it off and it had not intervened once to reduce power.

I've been meaning to go and have a play somewhere and try it our in a few different scenarios and with ASC on and off to see what it's doing.
Amaroo

Postby Calblitzen on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:27 am

Have you blown or removed a fuse. Maybe an issue with one of the relays.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby Amaroo on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:05 am

Calblitzen wrote:Have you blown or removed a fuse. Maybe an issue with one of the relays.

No fuses removed or blown.

It still works fine on wet bitumen in high range, ABS still works fine on wet road etc so all components are functioning. The yaw sensor is working well etc.

It's only in low range that there has been any change.
Amaroo

Postby explorer.dave on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:00 pm

I've been meaning to go and have a play somewhere and try it our in a few different scenarios and with ASC on and off to see what it's doing.

G'day Amaroo,
Get yourself down to the beach and find some soft sand, if the ASC is on and working your going nowhere, l found that out the hard way :oops: , quite sure you already know this.

dave
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Amaroo on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:25 pm

explorer.dave wrote:

G'day Amaroo,
Get yourself down to the beach and find some soft sand, if the ASC is on and working your going nowhere, l found that out the hard way :oops: , quite sure you already know this.

dave

I'd love to drive in some sand but it's pretty hard to access any beaches within a few hours of here. I'll work out somewhere I can test it out a little and see how it's reacting in the next couple of weeks ;)
Amaroo

Previous

Return to Servicing