Genuine oil filter price

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: golden oil filter

Postby AnOldFart on Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:36 pm

I changed the engine oil and filter on my MN ute today. First time, since I bought it last year and all I can say is what a b@#&! of a job....! :twisted: Until today, I had always credited the Pomms with the "worst engineering design award" for their non-accessability to engine oil filters but, after today's effort I think I've found a new contender for that title. Mitsubishi...! Maybe my hands and arms are just too much bigger than those of the typical smaller Asian mechanics to allow me to get into the tiny spaces they've designed around the filter but, surely they could have done a better design layout job for the position of it if they had given just a little more thought about ease of servicing...? Anyway, that's just my little rant now over and out of the way for today. :roll: I think I feel better now. :D
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mr031 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:50 pm

It is easier the next time, takes me about 15 min these days for oil, filter and diesel filter

byw, you can get fuel filters for about 6usd from china for 10 of them if your keen and game
mr031

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:19 pm

Did you try coming in via the wheel arch? I've heard of people doing that and finding it much easier.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby insomniac92 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:10 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Did you try coming in via the wheel arch? I've heard of people doing that and finding it much easier.

That's the only way I could get mine out. After cursing for 10 minutes trying to figure out how to manipulate it through the maze without spilling its contents everywhere, I discovered you can just unclip the little rubber flap behind the drivers wheel and it just slides out.
insomniac92
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hondon on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:05 am

Naaahhh it's easy as man...!! jst back off the intake pipe hose clamp and move the hose out of the way and it's as strait forward as an oil filter can get...heaps of room!!
Hondon

Postby Tony on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:04 pm

Same as the older 5D56 back in the late 80's and 90's :lol: , remove the Intake pipe from turbo as stated above, also, nothing wrong with entering via splash guard either. 8-)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:56 pm

Oh the joys of owning a Pajero. :D :D :D

Click to view larger picture
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby AnOldFart on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:48 pm

insomniac92 wrote:
Cowboy Dave wrote:Did you try coming in via the wheel arch? I've heard of people doing that and finding it much easier.

That's the only way I could get mine out. After cursing for 10 minutes trying to figure out how to manipulate it through the maze without spilling its contents everywhere, I discovered you can just unclip the little rubber flap behind the drivers wheel and it just slides out.

Via the wheel arch is the way I ended up doing it too, after finally deciding that I didn't really much favour the idea of dis-assembling half the damn air intake plumbing trying to get it out through the top route. Judging by the amount of spilled old dried oil and grime coating the top side of the turbo outlet pipework though, I would have to say that the stealer's mech apprentices at Zupps Aspley must have been using the topside route though, for the vehicle's first two 'official' services. I also noticed that there is a drawing of a particular 'expanding jaw type' of filter removal tool shown in the Mitsui service manual. I would say that not having the 'approved' Mitsui removal device in my own tool box was a further complicating factor for me on this first attempt as I found that there's not a lot of space in there to try and squeeze in my own 'fik-fingers' and existing motley assortment of old filter tools, all of which seemed to be either just a little too long, or too thick to easily fit. So does anybody actually use the 'correct' expanding jaw type 'Mitsui filter tool' :? and if so, has anybody discovered a link to a 'cheap' version of it on FleaBay....??? ;) And smug '5th-ratio' Pajero owners needn't rub bl@%dy salt into the wounds either...!! :lol:
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hondon on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:22 pm

i reckon I seen the ones your talking about at supercheap the other day....the other way if you can't get it by hand is simply a screwdriver and a hammer ....knock the screwdriver into the filter with hammer and use as a leaver to break the seal and proceed to undo by hand....
Hondon

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:40 pm

Have they got like 3 jaws that grip as you rotate it? If so I think I bought one...

Cowboy Dave

Postby Hondon on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:50 pm

nar these were just like a set of multi grip pliers with oil filter sized jaws that were curved ...they looked like they'd be good..
Hondon

Postby insomniac92 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:31 pm

I just used one of those filter removers that's made of a strip of leather that slides through a jaw on a handle. Supercheap sells them.
insomniac92
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:27 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Have they got like 3 jaws that grip as you rotate it? If so I think I bought one...

Hi CD, yes that's the 'type' that's shown in the Mitsui manual. Do you recall where you got it from. :?:
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:48 am

I think I got it at an auto one store but they tend to be a bit different from shop to shop in what they stock.

I thought it was an SP Tools product but by the look of this photo the one I got was different again:

Click to view larger picture

Here's the best selection I have seen thus far:
http://www.autotools.com.au/catalogue/category_intro.php/1/95

The one I bought looks more like one of the tools described as a spider tool at that site.

I looked at one of my copies of the manual last night and it seemed to have one of the big round ones you will find on the site linked above - a bit like the Toyota one at the top or one of the 'cup style' tools further down. You'd need to get the size right though I guess for that to work.

Cowboy Dave

Postby AnOldFart on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:10 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I think I got it at an auto one store but they tend to be a bit different from shop to shop in what they stock.

I thought it was an SP Tools product but by the look of this photo the one I got was different again:
https://www.alltoolsnt.com.au/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/2787201.jpg

Here's the best selection I have seen thus far:
http://www.autotools.com.au/catalogue/category_intro.php/1/95

The one I bought looks more like one of the tools described as a spider tool at that site.

I looked at one of my copies of the manual last night and it seemed to have one of the big round ones you will find on the site linked above - a bit like the Toyota one at the top or one of the 'cup style' tools further down. You'd need to get the size right though I guess for that to work.

Cheers CD, thanks for that info. :D
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:26 pm

update on bulk pricing of filters for the 3.2 (ML)

purchased 6 today for $42.80 ea inc GST. they have gone up about $2 in 4 years
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hondon on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:43 pm

ml -mn are the same filter aren't they.?
Hondon

Postby Snooozy on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:48 pm

different from my understanding.

part no. on these is 1230A046
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:48 pm

Might be wrong there. One of the 3 (air, oil, fuel) is different and I reckon it might be the oil filter. There are part numbers in another thread somewhere that will give the answer.

Cowboy Dave

golden oil filter

Postby Hondon on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:51 pm

ahh there ya go...mn is z313...that's Ryco part number though ..there probably the same but different part numbers from mmal
edit Ryco for ml is. Z372...which shares it's filter with 4m40 diesel mk...
Hondon

Postby AnOldFart on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:21 pm

Hondon wrote:ml -mn are the same filter aren't they.?

Nope....!
ML = 1230A046 and the MN = 1230A045 which is 'approx' 20 - 25mm shorter in length, b-cause Mitsui made such a 'borlz--up' of positioning / mounting the oil filter on the 2.5 MNs that they couldn't simply re-use the existing 'longer' ML 1230A046 filter b-cause the MN's available space is so bl@#dy tight. :twisted: :twisted:
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Genuine oil filter price

Postby jamespb78 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:09 pm

I bought my first filter for my 2014 triton diesel 2.5 today. Got charged $82 just for the filter from the local Mitsubishi dealer. I suspect they deliberately ripped me off since I hadn't bought one before ( I didn't know the part number)

So can anyone tell me what they have recently paid for a genuine filter?

And also, confirm the part number ? I was given 1230A114. Others I've seen mentioned since did not end in .....114

Thanks
jamespb78

Re: Genuine oil filter price

Postby msrlo on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:20 pm

paid $70 for one in alice springs last time I was there
msrlo

Postby Greedy on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:25 pm

I usually buy 6 at a time and get them about $35 each. ML 3.2 though. Not sure if they're different.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:29 pm

Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Servicing