Engine Noise Post Service

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Engine Noise Post Service

Postby Jeffoz on Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:24 am

Hi Everyone,

I've had my MN Triton for about a year and just had the 15,000km service.

Since I got it back I have noticed a ticking noise that occurs when throttle is applied and is not there when idling or when moving and not applying throttle (rolling down hill, slowing down due to traffic or road works). I'm not sure and it could be me being picky but I swear it feels rougher driving too.

I added a bull bar last week but I don't think that could be causing it.

Does anyone have any ideas, I'm going to be taking it back next week for them to check out.

Thanks
Jeffoz

Re: Engine Noise Post Service

Postby bigjobs on Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:16 am

Sounds like maybe pinging or just injector noise?
Mine does it when cold and under load, like uphill for example.

If you ask Mitsi about it they'll probably just tell you it's normal :-)
bigjobs

Postby Jeffoz on Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:23 pm

Yeah I figure I'm going to get a standard response from Mitsubishi but at least if I mention it then if there are any issues I have it on record for any warranty claims.

I think I need to find a good mechanic in Townsville
Jeffoz

Postby harland on Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:39 pm

Try running your tank close to empty and filling up on BP Ultimate diesel, if you notice an immediate reduction in the ticking you can hear than it is combustion noise you can hear. When you use a diesel that has a cetane rating less than 50 like caltex diesel which is a cetane rating of at least 46,the diesel knock or tick is more noticeable, BP standard and BP Ultimate diesel has a cetane rating of at least 50.
There is always the Small Quantity Learning procedure that can be done with a G scan or dealer scan tool that takes literally 5 minutes as long as coolant temp and auto temp (if you have one) are at operating temperature. this recalibrates the pilot injection volume and will immediately reduce the audible combustion knock, particularly on light acceleration.
harland

Postby Morgs n Jess on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:46 am

MIne was the same after a service round 120 thou mark. Reckon it was louder when it came out of the shop, settled down now and like it’s been said use BP ultimate and keep up the F-10 or similar treatments
Morgs n Jess

Postby tondo12 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi,
Some im experiencing some ticking, i cant hear when the car is stopped and bonnent popped. But i know its there. I ran piston cleaner fro, autobarn on 3 tanks, and the noise is still there.
Also squeaky clutch when the clutch is coming in and out. Ive still got the car under warranty till march next year.
Can anyone shine some light as to what this may be?
Mn 2013 model. Just had the major 75k service.
tondo12

Postby Jason91 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:06 pm

tondo12 wrote:Hi,
Some im experiencing some ticking, i cant hear when the car is stopped and bonnent popped. But i know its there. I ran piston cleaner fro, autobarn on 3 tanks, and the noise is still there.
Also squeaky clutch when the clutch is coming in and out. Ive still got the car under warranty till march next year.

I've got both of these myself, I'm hoping a valve clearance will fix the first one and the second I just put down to Mitsubishi having shitty gearbox bearings
Jason91

Postby giddyup on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:05 am

tondo12 wrote:Hi,

Clutch noise is probably when the clutch slave cylinder contacts the clutch fork. Mine did it, just needs to be greased.
giddyup

Postby red dragin on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:01 pm

Does this ticking change when the clutch is moved? As above, grease the clutch fork/clutch slave contact for the squeak.

Mine was certainly quieter post 30k service, there is no doubt that the valve clearances where done.
2015 MN Triton Dual Cab 4x4 GLX

The wife is always complaining about it being too long.
They need to make bigger car parks :D
red dragin

Postby tondo12 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:03 pm

No the clicking is separate to the squeaky clutch.
The ticking noise sounds like it comes from the drive train.
tondo12

Postby giddyup on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:57 pm

red dragin wrote:Does this ticking change when the clutch is moved? As above, grease the clutch fork/clutch slave contact for the squeak.

Mine was certainly quieter post 30k service, there is no doubt that the valve clearances where done.

If anything it should be noiser if the clearances were done. The clearances get tighter, hence quieter.

Check the paint marks on the bolts for the rocker cover, it should be fairly obvious if they have been touched. I'd be surprised if they did it.
giddyup

Postby tondo12 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:26 pm

From my observations the ticking does not come from the engine bay area as with the bonnet poped and the car idling you dont hear it.
tondo12

Postby red dragin on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:17 pm

giddyup wrote:
red dragin wrote:Does this ticking change when the clutch is moved? As above, grease the clutch fork/clutch slave contact for the squeak.

If anything it should be noiser if the clearances were done. The clearances get tighter, hence quieter.

Check the paint marks on the bolts for the rocker cover, it should be fairly obvious if they have been touched. I'd be surprised if they did it.

White out drops on inconspicuous bolt heads before it goes off to the dealer ;)

If it's not engine bay, then it could be clutch related (throw out bearing or gearbox input bearing), hence why I asked if clutch in/out had any effect.
2015 MN Triton Dual Cab 4x4 GLX

The wife is always complaining about it being too long.
They need to make bigger car parks :D
red dragin

Return to Servicing