MAF sensor cleaning and fuel economy

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

MAF sensor cleaning and fuel economy

Postby harland on Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:53 pm

Interested to know if any one can note an improved fuel economy by just cleaning MAF sensor or MAP sensor included if your EGR has not been blocked.

MN Triton 2.5 ltr diesel on BP diesel,4 door, manual bull bar, and style side tray, 36 psi static tyre pressures on 245/70/R16, 25 - 42deg days, fuel filter and air cleaner only done about 3000km since last replaced. basically standard run of the mill GLX with nothing more than the EGR blocked.
Average fuel economy 9.8ltr/100km - 10.5 ltr/100km. (measured by filling tank until i can see it at fill point, measure distance on odometer until next fill and calculating litres used divided by km travelled ) min 400km journeys
Cleaning MAF sensor (the 5 wire mass air flow sensor directly after air cleaner), key off, unclip 5 pin connector, remove 2 screws pull sensor out and spray generously with crc brand CO2 cleaner, allow 5 min to dry and reassemble.
After a 2200km trip average fuel economy improved to 8.2ltrs/100km - 8.5ltrs/100km.
Do not use any strong chemical cleaners i.e. electra clean or you will damage sensor. I know CO2 cleaner works and has not damaged mine and i do this every 5000km oil change now.
harland

Re: MAF sensor cleaning and fuel economy

Postby mattz on Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:10 pm

It's a very good and simple thing that most people can do.
Plenty more info here......
Cleaning the MAF (MASS) Sensor
viewtopic.php?t=8475
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Return to Servicing