2008 ML v6 3.5 replacement engine problems.

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

2008 ML v6 3.5 replacement engine problems.

Postby eurotrash on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:54 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm an occasional lurker with limited mechanical knowledge and am wanting to pick some brains.

My 2008 V6 petrol ML glxr engine started making some horrible noises and i was advised by my mechanic to find a replacement engine.

I bought one for from a wreckers yard and had it delivered but my mechanic has had all sorts of problems fitting it, instead of having a throttle cable it was fly by wire and many parts look different apparently. They think it is from a newer vehicle but the wrecker assures me it was from an 08 triton.

The mechanic has swapped lots of parts over, sensors, manifold parts etc trying to get it to start but has since gone on a fishing trip for 10 days and im without my work ute and I am stressed over the mounting costs.

It turns over but just wont start. something with the timing maybe? Do any of you have any idea how i can advise him to get this engine to start? he is out of ideas and seems to be just wanting to wash his hands of it and return it not running.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer.

Kind Regards,

Billy
eurotrash

Re: 2008 ML v6 3.5 replacement engine problems.

Postby Naff on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:57 pm

Probably something along the lines of the injectors needing coding to the ecu.

What was his reasoning behind getting a new motor in the first place?
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:59 pm

Homer or Salt can confirm but there was a change from cable throttle to fly-by-wire right around the 08 model.

This would also involve some ECU changes without doubt as well as the various parts at the induction area.

You might have to swap over some of the throttle control etc back from your old engine..............

Salt might be your best bet on some advice here.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby eurotrash on Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:11 pm

Naff wrote:Probably something along the lines of the injectors needing coding to the ecu.

What was his reasoning behind getting a new motor in the first place?

Hmm, i've no idea and its something i'm really regretting now to be honest. He thought it would be quicker and cheaper in the long run as time off the road is money lost for me.
eurotrash

Postby eurotrash on Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:15 pm

snowman wrote:Homer or Salt can confirm but there was a change from cable throttle to fly-by-wire right around the 08 model.

This would also involve some ECU changes without doubt as well as the various parts at the induction area.

You might have to swap over some of the throttle control etc back from your old engine..............

Salt might be your best bet on some advice here.

Thanks mate, ive no idea now what he's even swapped over and what he hasnt now so its not like I can really take it anywhere else but i'm pretty sure he swapped over the throttle control.

His apprentice was telling me even the distributers look different, at least i think thats what he said.
eurotrash

Postby hvac guy on Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:51 pm

I would ask him has he used the original crank angle sensor.

If i was doing that job i would have only used the block and heads from the new motor and swapped all the other stuff over.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:01 pm

Did you also get the ECU and the ignition stuff from the wrecker?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby eurotrash on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:25 pm

thanks guys, no i didnt get the ecu and ignition stuff from the wrecker as he thought they were a straight swap.

waiting for the mechanic to get back is driving me nuts.

i might just ask the wrecker if he has the ecu and ignition stuff. he has been ok and said he will help me with the additional labour cost.

Billy
eurotrash

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:26 pm

Yes, the engine changed with the MY09 model which came out in September '08. Coil packs changed, as did the throttle control from cable to "fly-by-wire". Lots of other small changes too.

At a minimum I'd think you'd be better off if you can get the ECU but I'm not even sure that this will be a straight plug-in. Agree with others that salt36 is probably the member who can best advise.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to Servicing