Coolant question

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Coolant question

Postby dk064 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:22 pm

Hey guys,

I have found coolant questions but not my issue so I thought I’d put this out,

My temp levels are fine but I noticed when checking the Ute for a long trip the over flow bottle was empty when cold, when hot (20min drive) it fills and that’s normal from what I’ve read, but the fill line is below low when hot so am I low on coolant or is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dk064

Re: Coolant question

Postby L200Shogun on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:34 pm

When cold my bottle was very low too. I just added a couple hundred ml of distilled water and it seems ok now. I also monitor it.
L200Shogun

Postby dk064 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:29 pm

Just did 2000kms in 4 days and it didn’t go above bang on halfway:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dk064

Postby TheSheepKed on Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:32 pm

Sorry to bring up an old thread.
My coolant is sitting below low when cold as I lost some coolant when I installed the snorkel and I believe the replacement bottle is larger in volume than the stock one.
I believe the coolant (green in colour) I currently have is the genuine Mitsubishi coolant that they use for normal servicing.

Anyway, I don't think I have a leak but I'm wondering what to do if it gets lower?
Can I top it up with Nulon (green one) that you can get from SCA or would I have to do a complete flush?
Or can I just top up with distilled?
TheSheepKed

Postby dieselweasel on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:50 pm

Hi mate, if I'm wrong i hope someone corrects me on this, I'm totally no expert but in situations like that, distilled water would be fine to top levels up but better than that, buy premixed GREEN coolant and top up. There are two colours of coolant, green being one of them and the same colour should be added to the same colour. No exceptions. Hope that helps. I don't have a preference for brand as i do a complete flush every 6 months. Hope that helps dude
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Postby Ragnarok on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:06 am

MN factory coolant is blue isnt it. Best to top it up with whats already in there so it doesnt gum up.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Ragnarok

Postby TheSheepKed on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:06 am

dieselweasel wrote:Hi mate, if I'm wrong i hope someone corrects me on this, I'm totally no expert but in situations like that, distilled water would be fine to top levels up but better than that, buy premixed GREEN coolant and top up. There are two colours of coolant, green being one of them and the same colour should be added to the same colour. No exceptions. Hope that helps. I don't have a preference for brand as i do a complete flush every 6 months. Hope that helps dude

Thanks mate - it's not low enough that I'm overly concerned but if it keeps dropping then I'll do the distilled water or pick up some green coolant. So it's ok to mix e.g. Nulon (green) with whatever is in my coolant overflow bottle as long as it is also green? Regardless of brand?

Ragnarok wrote:MN factory coolant is blue isnt it. Best to top it up with whats already in there so it doesnt gum up.

I'm not sure? Is it? I've just always had green in mine.
TheSheepKed

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:22 am

Don't rely on colour to identify coolant, guys. Different manufacturers use different colours.

Read the label and make sure that you get/use the same one. As you know, they can be incompatible.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby TheSheepKed on Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:04 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Don't rely on colour to identify coolant, guys. Different manufacturers use different colours.

Read the label and make sure that you get/use the same one. As you know, they can be incompatible.

Yeah I'm one to play it safe. I might just top up with distilled then. And give the dealership a call when they're open.
TheSheepKed

Postby schooner on Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:03 pm

Yeah i am continually topping mine up and can find no leaks either.
and running temp is 92 deg ?????????

should i look else where

Cheers
2010 2.5 NM CHIPMY DIESEL BOX
schooner

Postby Roguegir on Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:54 pm

I have a MN 2010 and I am also running 92°
Recently had it at the diesel mechanic, he did the tappets and timing belts. He noticed the smell of coolant but no exterior leaks. So it had been coming out the cap and overflow bottle.
He put the funnel in in the top of the radiator and revved it at 2000 and 3000 and found a small amount of bubbles coming up every 5 seconds. He said it is a sign of a crack or leak in the head, but he said he pressure tested it and it was fine.
Might also come from the EGR cooler.
As I have no money I have tried the dreaded leak repair stuff you put in the coolant. Fingers crossed it fixes it without screwing anything up.
Stuff has been in for a week.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Roguegir

Postby schooner on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:28 am

wow sounds similar, saw a few tinny bubbles in top of radiator but stopped after a little while though did not rev it ?

Car runs fine though...............going to check radiator cap first.
schooner

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:26 am

The pissy little radiator caps on the tritons don't inspire confidence.

My ml would start bubbling away on hot days when I got home and stopped on a couple of hot days, spewing coolant into the recovery bottle.

On inspection, the seating for the little return valve had distorted and wasn't sealing properly.

So new wiper blades and radiator cap each year and if the replaced cap hasn't failed, keep it in the glove box as spare.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:09 pm

So how'd you guys go with the coolant loss?

My son's mn seems to have started losing coolant. He reports temp normal, etc.

If you've got a head gasket on the way out, forget the additives.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby schooner on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:01 am

I did the thermostat mod and replaced the radiator cap also replaced seal on the overflow tank.

did not loose coolant for a while then a little bit which maybe due to burping radiator.

Getting water pump and belts done at next service....not sure if these pumps have the weep hole in bottom which could explain a little.

Will know later in the week.

No water in oil no oil in water an does not appear to becoming out exhaust.
schooner

Postby schooner on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:38 pm

OK Service just complete found water pump leaking........but still may have slight head gasket leak :oops:

will report back after a few day's testing.
schooner

Return to Servicing