Transmission Fluid

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Transmission Fluid

Postby ML-VR08 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:08 pm

Ok guys, just a few questions... after hearing about monsters new transmission fluid i thought i would give it a go and drop my fluid etc.... now this is the first time i have changed the auto fluid - my question is where/how do i fill it back up? And to top things off - they dont have the fluid in stock, so now im without a car for a day lol. :oops: :? :roll:

I know what you guys are thinking - why drop the fluid when you dont have anything to put in.

Well my GF was picking up the fluid as i was dropping it - well that was until they didnt have any....
ML-VR08

Re: Transmission Fluid

Postby Quinny23 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:19 pm

LOL... the best laid plan's... :D
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass, all four essential food groups:
alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

Quinny's Buildup
Quinny's CarPC
Quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny23

Postby madpyro on Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Hey ML, auto dipstick is behind engine dipstick on left rear of engine bay, fill auto oil through auto oil dipstick tube, put about 3ltrs in, take triton for for a drive through all gears around the block so auto is hot, then recheck on level ground with triton in neutral and handbrake on, add to full hot mark or a bit below NOT OVER FULL MARK.

Iknow mitsu state in all there autos to ues MITSUBISHI SPIII fluid only

Hope this helps
madpyro

Postby new44 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:13 pm

A comment on auto fluid flushing/changing would be:

If you are towing a medium to heavy trailer think about full synthetic fluid. It is said to run about 10 to 20 Deg. cooler with no other mods. Quiet expensive but may be cheaper in the long run if towing weight through the mountains or at high speed. Otherwise just keep fresh mineral oil in your trany.

Remember to finally flush the system after refilling the trany. pan with fresh oil for a complete change of oil.

A new filter may be a good idea if it has been worked hard or has moderate K.Ms on it.
new44

Postby ML-VR08 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:45 am

In the handbook it states around 9L of transmission fluid. I only drained about 4L???

I will get some more fluid today and refill tonight.

Cheers
ML-VR08

Postby Homer on Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:20 am

Let us know how you go mate. I was also thinking about the JD tranny fluid.

Maybe the 9L was for a flush and change?

When doing my old falcon, you had to run it through the gears - even just while parked with brake on, then switch it off and check straight away to get the level right - something like madpyro said.

I found that out when I had a transmission service done and it was slipping afterward. They either didn't know how to check or just put in the recommended and didn't allow for my aftermarket tranny cooler :roll:

Always made me sus on checking the levels of transmissions after that as you can get quite different levels depending on the method.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Return to Servicing