Loose Steering Wheel

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Loose Steering Wheel

Postby Brett05 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:59 pm

Hey guys/girls
Last Friday I had the clock spring replace under warranty. I have just noticed that the steering wheel is a little loose...I'm talking about 12mm of sideways movement. Has anyone experienced this or heard of it happening. I've been driving it for a week now but only just noticed it.
Check out my video of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDIjSIXKxls

Your thoughts
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
Link to Centre Bearing Mod viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6394
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Re: Loose Steering Wheel

Postby chaser on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:08 pm

mate take it back asap ur steering wheel nut is not tensioned!

thats not a very good thing to be dealing with!!!
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

2005 Toyota Prado gxl, Lifted, Bar, Lights, Tyres etc etc...

Triton still on the waiting list.....
chaser

Loose Steering Wheel

Postby fridgie on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:10 pm

:shock:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby ag9111 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:13 pm

chaser wrote:mate take it back asap ur steering wheel nut is not tensioned!

thats not a very good thing to be dealing with!!!

X2. Have the steering wheel nut off my daughters car, loose anyway, and it is doing exactly as you describe.
Last edited by ag9111 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Loose Steering Wheel

Postby mattz on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:17 pm

Is it the nut holding the steering wheel on or
The nut holding on to the steering wheel :lol:

Cheers Matt.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Mooons on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brett05 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:13 pm

Just an update on this
I called into the dealers this afternoon, to have it checked out. Workshop foreman took the covers from around the steering column and checked the tension of the bolts that hold it onto the dash. I was there when he did this and to our surprise they were both very tight. These bolts pinch/sandwich the support bracket for the column on to the dash frame. Justin (workshop foreman) said he's never seen this problem before and can't work out why it's happened. Since I haven't had the steering column replaced under the warranty recall, he has ordered a new one for replacement. Whilst I was there I asked if he had a clock spring there I could have a look at and take a quick photo for the members here to see.....see below
Click to view larger picture
The guys at this dealer are great to deal with, I would recommend these guys to anyone that needs to have work done on their Triton/Mitsubishi
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Postby ag9111 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:30 pm

What do you mean steering column recall. More info please with a service No if you have it

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brett05 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:38 pm

ag9111 wrote:What do you mean steering column recall. More info please with a service No if you have it

not sure on the number for this.........fridgie might be able to help out with that....he's had his replaced as well. Justin just asked me if i had it replaced........eerrr....no not that i know of. He did a data check and said we'll replace the entire steering column because you are getting the small vibration through the steering wheel and this issue.

i have read on here of other members having their steering column replaced under warranty

anyone help out here
Brett05

Postby chaser on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:40 pm

its not a recall just a hot line fix if u get a knocking noise when turning or over bumps from the column...
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

2005 Toyota Prado gxl, Lifted, Bar, Lights, Tyres etc etc...

Triton still on the waiting list.....
chaser

Postby ag9111 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:41 pm

chaser wrote:its not a recall just a hot line fix if u get a knocking noise when turning or over bumps from the column...

Just PM'd you about this chaser. do you have a number for it.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ML-VR08 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:42 pm

chaser wrote:its not a recall just a hot line fix if u get a knocking noise when turning or over bumps from the column...

correct just had mine done - but now im having other problems
ML-VR08

Loose Steering Wheel

Postby fridgie on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:19 pm

Brett05 wrote:
not sure on the number for this.........fridgie might be able to help out with that....he's had his replaced as well.

:shock: When did this happen?? I still have my original steering column :? Who says I've done what?? :lol:

Mine is booked in for Thursday, not bad since it was in back in December when this 'issue' was found, just haven't had the time to get it sorted. Don't really have the time now but am sick of em hassling me over it ;) :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby ag9111 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:24 pm

fridgie wrote:
Brett05 wrote:
not sure on the number for this.........fridgie might be able to help out with that....he's had his replaced as well.

:shock: When did this happen?? I still have my original steering column :? Who says I've done what?? :lol:

Mine is booked in for Thursday, not bad since it was in back in December when this 'issue' was found, just haven't had the time to get it sorted. Don't really have the time now but am sick of em hassling me over it ;) :lol:

There chasing you :o :shock: :shock: :shock:
You got special photos of the service mamger or something :roll:

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brett05 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:33 pm

fridgie wrote:
Brett05 wrote:

my bad there fridgie, i thought you had it done already..........you must have been a bit pissy when you told me.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brett05

Loose Steering Wheel

Postby fridgie on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:47 pm

No dramas Brett, been trying since start of jan to organise with work to be able to drop car off :roll:

And no pics or anything ag, I kept putting it on the back burner due to work and reckon I've had 5 calls about booking it in from the service department......

Next I just have to find time to get it to eagers for an oil freshen and a bit of a once over on a couple of things :( looks like I'll need to take a day or 2 off for that :?

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Loose Steering Wheel

Postby mattz on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:56 pm

fridgie wrote:
Brett05 wrote:

I can't believe they are hassling you fridgie.
I am in a similar situation. Issue identified and steering column ordered late nov early dec. Had a missed call early jan whilst on holidays, no message was left, the number looked familiar, I think it might have been the dealer. Haven't heard any thing since. Gotta book it in for a service and will ask then. But I bet they have already claimed the money off Mitsubishi and probably used the column in a more impatient customers car. :lol:
The longer I put it off, the longer the new one will last. :lol:

Cheers Matt.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby trouble on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:44 pm

ML-VR08 wrote:

correct just had mine done - but now im having other problems

I had mine relace under warranty after returning from Cape York!
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Loose Steering Wheel

Postby Brett05 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:56 am

another update:
just got this text from Keystar Mitsubishi this morning.
It was only Monday that they ordered the steering column....and now it's here.....it's probably fridgies, they got sic and tired of chasing him to get it done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brett05

Loose Steering Wheel

Postby fridgie on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:19 pm

Mine is in now, was finished at lunchtime but still have to get to Wynnum to pick it up..... :roll:

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Return to Servicing