Redline Oil (and other redline oil stuff)

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:20 pm

Okay so I've been flicking through the usual 4wd magazines lately and I've noticed redline oils getting a few mentions.

Website is here: http://www.redlineoil.com.au/home.asp

First article was a bloke who tried their engine oil for an extended period. They reckon you can go to 30,000km on one lot of oil :o :shock: The guy in question thought it was great and was going to use it again but not risk 30,000km. Looking at the website looks like it might be more like 25,000 for 4wds.

Then in camper trailer touring that came with 4wd action this month a bloke (Broady) talks about having temperature problems with his Patrol and adds a Redline product called water wetter and gets temperature drops of 20-30 degrees on his coolant - that made me sit up and take notice. If I read his article correctly he added it to his existing coolant mix but maybe I got that wrong (actually no, I read it again and that's definitely what he says) and it replaces your coolant in which case we'd have to check Mitsubishi's position on compatability etc.

Here's the blurb on the water wetter:

Waterwetter™ Supercoolant and Rust Inhibitor (Pink) is a unique wetting agent for cooling systems (add to the radiator), which can double the capacity to remove heat by reducing temperatures as much as 20–30°C. An absolute must for reducing the strain of running vehicle air-comditioning on hot days. Suitable for both petrol or diesel vehicles and trucks. Especially recommended for race engines! It also provides year round protection to reduce rust, corrosion and electolysis—passing the most severe Simulated Service Corrosion test developed for automotive coolants determined by the ASTM committee. It also reduces cavitation and air pockets; cleans and lubricates water pump seals; prevents foaming; complexes with hard water to reduce scale. Waterwetter provides much better heat transfer properties than glycol-based antifreeze.

They also do a full synthetic transmission fluid that sounds pretty good.

So, to the point of the thread, has anyone used this stuff? Is it any good, are we talking snake oil, what's the go?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Diddy on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:37 pm

I read the article Dave he they went to 100000 before changing the oil but they recommend between 60-70k for oil change and filter changed between 20-30k I will giving this oil a go as it is alot cheaper than dropping every 5k
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Re: Redline Oil (and other redline oil stuff)

Postby Steane on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Redline has been around for a while now and has a very good reputation. I used to use their various oils in my GT-R engine, gearbox and diffs, and never had an issue. It was flogged on the track a bit as well.

Good gear from what I've heard.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks Diddy clearly your short term memory is better than mine. I knew it was an unusually long period but 100,000 is just crazy.

How do you change your filter without losing a tonne of oil? Or do they drain and then stick the same oil back in?

Cowboy Dave

Postby mattz on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:14 pm

I wouldn't run any oil for more than 10k let alone 100k.
I like to know that it has been changed and is fresh as you do not not what sort of job it is doing ,unless you have it analyzed, or it is to late and you have a blown motor.IMO Motor oil is cheap Insurance for the motor.
But that's just me.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Homer on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:18 pm

Yeah I think most oil company's have a 100,000 KM or thereabouts "test" to prove it's worth.

All oil/engines will work fine if driven easy for 100,000k's and regular filter changes..it's the next 100,000 when they fall apart.

Not saying that this means it is a poor product...just heard plenty of oil and lubricant "tests" in the past and if you have a look at how they "test" fuel economy for the manufacturers then you will get the drift.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Diddy on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:04 pm

Hey cd they just top it back up with fresh oil

I know with some trucks like iveco they go 50k before oil m filter changes and after they test the oil and if the oil is fine it goes straight back in for another 50k and we are talking about a company that gives u a 1 million or 5yr bumper to bumper warranty
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby Longranger1 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:14 pm

Contaminant build up would be an issue if left for 100 000km's I reckon, even with regular filter changes. The oil I use in our diesel Golf V is often left for 30 000 km's in Europe where the diesel is better quality (that oil by the way is a Fuchs product). In this vehicle I change at 12 000km's.
They are doing serious milages between oil changes in the new Euro trucks now as well.

No way would I go longer than 7500km's in my Triton, I just like to have clean oil in my engines. You would be laughed out of the dealership if you went over 15 000km's and had an engine warranty issue.

It's been said before but oil and filters are cheap, engine rebuilds aren't.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:14 pm

No comments about the coolant product yet? That was the one that had me the most interested.

Cowboy Dave

Postby chaser on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:27 pm

When it comes to coolant guys only use genuine as there have been past incidents were non genuine coolant has been used and warranty claims have been denied due to not using the correct coolant. With a 160,000 k warranty on the drive line i wouldn't risk loosing warranty over a few $$$.
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

2005 Toyota Prado gxl, Lifted, Bar, Lights, Tyres etc etc...

Triton still on the waiting list.....
chaser

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:38 pm

I hear you chaser but this one isn't about a few dollars it's about the suggestion that with this coolant additive the overall coolant temps will be significantly lower. If that claim is true then it has got to be worth exploring, especially by those of us who experience high temps through towing for example, or beach driving, or because of chips or whatever.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Homer on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Yes I was thinking about that with the recent number of high temp posts CD. It would be very inviting.

I'm a big fan of getting the car hot as quick as possible and then keeping it there (within specs) so first wasn't keen on the idea that normal running temps were (possibly) lower than recommended or ideal..whatever that is.

Then the double whammy of corroded heads and water jackets made me sort of more skittish.

I really don't know which way I'd go if I had some temp issues.
Especially after one member had some with the after market bigger radiator...again what is over temp and did it reach it is another question.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:51 pm

I've had mine peak at just over 100 but it came back down pretty quick and it was a hot day and I was towing up hill. Still not a good feeling. Worse still when your transmission gets so hot it won't change gears anymore. So I'm exploring options and this (incl synthetic ATF) is one of them. Certainly easier going than bigger radiators, larger intercoolers and so on.

Cowboy Dave

Postby chaser on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:04 pm

lower temp thermostat will cure most of these issue's i think and it should have nil effect on the warranty
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

chaser

Postby Longranger1 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:19 pm

Homer raised a very good question regarding warm-up with that coolant addiive, I wonder if that would be slowed?
As far as normal operating temp's are concerned I wouldn't worry as that is determined by the thermostat. It could be a good thing for those who do a bit of towing though. Not sure about the compatability with the original coolant either.
Who wants to use their Triton as a test guinea pig?
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:22 pm

I vote for Borngeek and Tony, they both like living on the edge...

Cowboy Dave

Postby scubapro on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:21 am

Chaser who makes Mitsu's coolant. I was told that their oil was made by BP :?:
scubapro

Postby dismatpe on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:52 am

Ron Moon did a rather good write up in 4x4 Aus, where they took oil samples every ?k up to about 60k or 100k can't remember. I thought it was fair stab at doing a decent evaluation without the dreaded 'o' at the end (pet hate word ... comparo)!
dismatpe

Postby chaser on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:54 pm

I couldn't tell u who makes the coolant mate...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

chaser

Postby snowman on Mon May 16, 2011 3:51 pm

scubapro wrote:Chaser who makes Mitsu's coolant. I was told that their oil was made by BP :?:

chaser wrote:I couldn't tell u who makes the coolant mate...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

does anyone have the specs on the Genuine Mits coolant required?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Servicing