Price For 30K Service

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: Price For 30K Service

Postby Racer on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:23 pm

I still shake my head at those who choose to go genuine service. Exhibit A for poor old Did3.2 ...
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby justnow on Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:50 pm

Just hand mine done genuine, first enquiries between $600-$800 odd.
Rang around quite a few dealer locally and interstate armed with the info from this site and the cheapest I got was $295 and was told that the valves don't need adjusting till app 60K it is just an audible check.
Got a quote from where I bought the ute and came back Hi said that I can get it done for $290 on the north side of town, they couldn't match that but would do it for $420 (written on a card) job done.
Told them about the squeaky springs again, surging problem between 2-4K rpm, and that the bonnet lining is getting badly worn so they can have a look at fixing those problems while there.
Went to pick up price was $875 then I flashed out the quote and he said oh, looked at the invoice and said that they have put all the extra warranty work in the bill.
Removed that and did some fancy figures came back with $449, they had to adjust the hand break it was seized in the rear drum.
And they are chasing up on the warranty work and have asked Mits Aust about the bonnet lining. So hope fully it will get fixed.
I said to the service manager that I always have to haggle with them and they will make up there money on the next idiot that doesn't do their research and pays more than full price.
See you,
justnow
How happy a man is, is not how much he has but how little he needs.
justnow

Postby Racer on Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:49 am

Exhibit B - Purchase a 40K motor vehicle and they are still trying to screw you...
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby did3.2 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:01 pm

Racer wrote:I still shake my head at those who choose to go genuine service. Exhibit A for poor old Did3.2 ...

Hey racer enough of the OLD ok !! :odumb, stupid maybe :lol: . I only went genuine for the tappet adjustment :? Who knows if it was even done. I have a feeling they may have cleaned out the carbon on the inlet manifold sensor as there is remenants of the carbon around where the tube joins the manifold. ;)
Still pissed about the air cleaner incident though, and the lack of general respect and care in there work. :evil:
Unlike my regular service dept that will get all my work from now on.
Need to find out the tappet specs so they can do them next time 8-) chaser?? anyone.
Family, Friends and Four Wheel Drives!
did3.2

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:41 pm

Did my own oil change and fuel filter with genuine parts from the dealer and then let them go over the vehicle for the 30k requirements. Cost under $ 250 (inc freight for filters). Service manager suggested the valves should be right till 60k - suit me.

Conclusion:
I know the oil's quality, filled to correct level, have a chance to check over things myself with the benefit that an authorised dealer has also met his obligations and leaves me with a stamped book - we're all happy.

From experience - my best runs I've had out of vehicles are those where I took the units for the first couple of services - keep the warranty alive until a trend is set ( good or bad ) and if everything is going good, don't let any bugger under the bonnet!

For those not confident to do self servicing, it may be worth using a local mech, with genuine parts ( as many aftermarket bits are not necessarily cheaper ) or some outfit like Ultratune, etc. who for example came in less than half of what a Pug dealer quoted for our 307.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:52 pm

clever idea RHK! 8-)
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:02 pm

jezzz i gotta stop talking about hillcrest motorama near homer so he stops spruking it everywhere, can't let to many people know homer or it will end up like the other big dealers :evil: ;) ;) mums the word :)

ill get back to you via pm or on here jimmy on how i go in a week or two
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby borngeek on Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:25 pm

$673.25 (tappits NOT adjusted) NOT happy :evil:

SYDNEY CITY MITSUBISHI

STORY HERE

EDIT: (note week has passed)

$590 (Tappits adjusted) a LOT happier.. :geek:

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby trouble on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:01 pm

Just had the 30k service on the Tri $237.25 gotta love that, and you guessed it not Mitsubishi
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby tritondan on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:47 pm

have had the the triton serviced today - 30k service. Rang the local deals on the sunny coast and got a shock. Called the Gympie (hour out of town) dealer and quoted me $270.00. I booked it in for the next morning.
they told me it was oil / filter and check over. They still took 2 hours to do that, or they hid the car for an hour as i was waiting. Came to pay and i asked if the fuel filter had been repalced. We dont do that at 30k was the reply. quick look at the invoice and it says 'replace fuel filter' I then mentioned that the book says it's replaced at 30k mark.

Without issue they took the car and replaced it - no extra charge on top of the $270
Part from this minor issue it was a good experience. Good value. Just goes to show one needs to be self informed about one's own car and whats required

they also did the ball joint recall thing, flashed the ECU and ordered the sunnies holder under wty. When you close the it up it wont open and give your sunnies back - annoying

i know they did the ECU as it felt like i had installed the chip. How do i know. Because i took the DP chip out to drive ther and when i got it back, it went neawrly just as well with out it.
its a brand new day - its a brand new life
tritondan

Postby borngeek on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:13 pm

tritondan wrote:have had the the triton serviced today - 30k service. Rang the local deals on the sunny coast and got a shock. Called the Gympie (hour out of town) dealer and quoted me $270.00. I booked it in for the next morning.
they told me it was oil / filter and check over. They still took 2 hours to do that, or they hid the car for an hour as i was waiting. Came to pay and i asked if the fuel filter had been repalced. We dont do that at 30k was the reply. quick look at the invoice and it says 'replace fuel filter' I then mentioned that the book says it's replaced at 30k mark.

Without issue they took the car and replaced it - no extra charge on top of the $270
Part from this minor issue it was a good experience. Good value. Just goes to show one needs to be self informed about one's own car and whats required

they also did the ball joint recall thing, flashed the ECU and ordered the sunnies holder under wty. When you close the it up it wont open and give your sunnies back - annoying

i know they did the ECU as it felt like i had installed the chip. How do i know. Because i took the DP chip out to drive ther and when i got it back, it went neawrly just as well with out it.

good advise tritondan!
that is a VERY good price :D
in such a short time I assume they did not adjust tappets?? - or just a audible test performed..

good result in any case very very cheap! :D (maintaning roadside assist and warrantee)

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:06 pm

as my triton was booked for the diff repair and they had it for a week for that i decided to get the 30k service done by them as well. luckily for me i turned before walking out and asked how much the 30k service was.

$985.00

i said "you are joking" - reply "nope it is a big one". How f*cking big can a 30k service be????

i rang another reputable diesel mechanic and asked for a servie AND tappet adjustment. $550.00 - done by experienced mechanics as well. So I told them no thanks just fix the diff............. he said he would talk to his manager.

anyway i get a call later in the day to say "we can do it for $650.00". That is $335 less than they wanted to charge me first.

i got it done because they have the car and it was cost effective but i have no decided that as all 'normal' services from said reputable mechanic is $350.00 and i dont have to remove EGR's and chips that i am going to sacrifice the 6-10 year and just be prepared to fork out for warranty items in the future (after 5 years). i must say that it was a hard sell getting the diff done with the lift after 18 months so getting something done after 5 years will be almost impossible anyway.

Just out of principle now i wont use them again but I do not know how they can substantiate this cost for a straightforward service even with tappets compared to other mechanics. if you look at the service schedule apart from oil and fuel filters and the adjustment there is not much they do. They dont even replace the air filter for that cost.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:03 pm

mate of mine with a Prado just had his 30K service done by the local Toyota dealer.

$250 inc GST AND that included an air filter and some additional AC filter.

Mits are absolute rip offs. no two ways about it.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby norto on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:19 pm

Last month i had my Challenger serviced in Darwin, the service manager said that
MMA get a big cut of the scheduled service fee, not the dealer who does the service.
Pete
norto

Postby borngeek on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:11 am

norto wrote:Last month i had my Challenger serviced in Darwin, the service manager said that
MMA get a big cut of the scheduled service fee, not the dealer who does the service.

Sorry norto but I think you will find that your 'service' manager has been finessed in the 'fine art' of bull crapping!
(a quick call to MMAL will assure you this is not true and leave a bit of egg on the dealers face thru misrepresentation of the brand.)

If you feel like adjusting his attitude have a calm talk to the dealers principal first. ;)

//You are right Snowman total rip off! Pathetic... and no reason to gouge their customers so blatantly :?

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:42 am

In for our 30k service latter this week. Going through the dealer as have some issues to sort. Hope they don't tack a few extra $$$$ on when I request a new SCV.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:53 am

GLX-R MN wrote:In for our 30k service latter this week. Going through the dealer as have some issues to sort. Hope they don't tack a few extra $$$$ on when I request a new SCV.

here is my very strong tip mate....ASK HOW MUCH FIRST!!!!!

and dont foget it includes the 'tappit adjustment' cost, so make sure you are apples for apples with that one. i'll be buggered if i know why this work is done (it is in the service book) but i dont know of any other like model that needs it. when i rang a leading diesel mech in sydney for a 30k quote they went 'huh' when i told them i wanted this done at 30k. they could not for the life of them work out why. they priced that work at $200 to give you an idea and the rest of the service at $350.

i got my service done for $650 at Mits after telling them no way with their first quote. if i had not asked the price BEFORE i got the work done i would have had to pay almost a $1000 for this service and that was not including an air filter. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

AND they still forgot to grease the front driveshaft and they only did it after i took it back to get them to look at something else for me. oh yeah the broken wheel stud. :o
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:04 am

if they don't want it the night before they will only do the audible check (if that) and try and charge you anyway.

A 30K service with supposed audible check at 30K should be $200-$300. With tappets another $200-$300 as it doubles the scheduled service time (per the book).. The price variance depends on your dealers labour rates. Parts should be all pretty similar dealer to dealer..

as snowman says ask first! and mark the rocker cover covertly.. and look for fresh grease around the rubber gasket for it.. will be obvious if they didn't do it..

also they HAVE to use a senior mechanic to perform the tappet task.. a apprentice will not be able to perform this task yet so if they do it the extra bickies are kind of 'justified'..

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:22 am

They're a bit inconsistent looking here. :? It all comes out in time. There is a saying in the motor trade..... Butter them up for a wile then get into them. Seems to ring here :lol:

Gives me the shts, I do all my own here otherwise.
Trouble with these modern diesels, its an operation to get into them. then injector seals etc.

Like others I wouldn't think the tappets need doing yet. I'm a bit surprised the new 2.5 doesn't run roller lifters with hydraulic lash adjustment. :?

I'll get some quotes, will be interesting.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:08 am

Just got a quote... Could be $800 if the tappets need doing. The book allows 1.5 to 3 hours for the operation :o

The running cost of these things is getting on par with European stuff :(

We do big k's so will haunt us a bit from here on.

Good news is they're getting a SCV in stock.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:05 am

there is no "if it needs doing" you either check them or you don't. fvcktards - seriously. :twisted: :twisted:

if anyone seriously puts their ear to the motor and charges you $200 they need to go to jail. Fvck this shits me. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Tell them you want it done for $650 (including the tappet check by removing the tappet cover) or you will take the service elsewhere.

They have to do the SCV under warranty anyway - they can't tell you they wont do that anymore.

Try it mate. seriously what do you have to lose. they are still making a fortune at $650 in my opinion compared to industry standards.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:15 am

^^ what snowman said!

fk'ers HAVE to do the tappet check! Its in the book and if they sign and stamp your service logbook it HAS been completed. Otherwise they are diverting from logbook service. BELTERS!

believe me had this argument and won. dealer got his arse kicked!

$650 is total maximum. total highway robbery IMO but within limits when you factor the hours - but not when you realise the apprentice changing the oil and kicking your tyres is on $18/hr

pricks grrrr !!!!!!! ........./deep breath :lol:

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:21 am

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:41 am

Tony maybe you need to drive down to Lithgow? Alco has only positive things to say about the blokes down there.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Tony on Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:15 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Tony maybe you need to drive down to Lithgow? Alco has only positive things to say about the blokes down there.

Yea, that's a good idea actually, I purchased my ol MJ from that lot and were always really good to me. Even replaced two cracked manifolds and one turbo with out any fuss at all. (We used to drive it very hard)The service cost were bugger all although the MJ was very simple.

I've been talking to some locals about my "current" dealer, most of them have fallen out as well. :o I have informed MMA about this.
Anyway, the young foreman is starting to listen, ( Cant say much about the manager :evil: )I'm going to talk to them about the service price. Maybe get some other quotes first.
I wouldn't normally care but due to the fact we may to 50 to 60k a year it does matter.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Servicing