wheres the special filter

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Postby 5immo on Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:28 pm

How do i know whether my truck has this special oil filter or not? tried buying some Oil at my local repco and he doesnt want to sell me oil unless i can tell him whether it has this so called special filter. Apparntly if it gets blocked its hugely expensive. Where is it located and what does it do :?:
5immo

Re: wheres the special filter

Postby Tony on Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:52 pm

He's done the right thing, possibly referring to an anti drain back valve.
:idea: I would strongly recommend using genuine fuel and oil filters so there is no issues with warranty :idea: . Mitsu can not warrant any damage that may occur from after market filters. Once out of warranty then go for it if you want to risk it.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:03 pm

Nah I'd say he's talking about a diesel particulate filter (aka DPF). You need special oil if you have one. Australian Tritons don't have them so you can tell him not to worry and to just sell you some normal oil, suited to a diesel engine of course.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Tony on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:18 pm

AH, oil, thought he meant filter? Didn't read the post properly. :oops: Yea, as CD said, has no particulate filter in AUS, I just run a semi synthetic diesel spec oil in mine. (MN) HPR 15/50
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tradieb on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:23 am

This is interesting, I was told by Western filters that i didnt have to fit genuine oil and fuel filters. They supplied Nippon Max, which from what little information i found, they arent too bad.

Also had a discussion with the chick from mitsubishi. She swears if anything went wrong they wouldnt warrant the engine. Which brings me back to my 45k service. This was done through Ultra tune. They stamp your book and you dont lose your new car warranty. However, on closer inspection the fuel filter fitted was Ryco. Can Ultra tune fit non genuine parts and would i still keep my warranty if anything had of gone wrong? :? Or does Ultra tune and Western filters know something i dont?
Its nice to be important, BUT its important to be nice..
tradieb

Postby Homer on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:37 am

You run the risk if not fitting genuine parts mate. Ultra tune etc are fine but supply genuine parts so you have no problems wty wise.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby tradieb on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:56 am

Homer this is where im confused. Ultra Tune fitted Ryco filters. I thought they had to supply genuine to maintain warranty but they supplied after market.
Its nice to be important, BUT its important to be nice..
tradieb

Postby Longranger1 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:58 am

It probably all boils down to what actually went wrong if your engine decides to cark it. Given some dealers propensity to dodge any warranty work and find an 'out', it is easier to use genuine filters.

Our local dealer would try to deny an engine warranty claim if you used non-genuine rear spring shackle rubbers :roll: . Common sense doesn't seem to prevail there :evil: . Some really are that stupid...

There are legal avenues which can be pursued if needed and it can cost a dealer a lot more if they don't show some common sense and customer service - some are are mighty slow learners though...
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 5immo on Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:20 pm

im hopeing to get my 90k service donw, then take it to a main dealer before November(warranty runs out) and get them to go over it to see if i need anything replaced under warranty. Dont know if they will as i have never dealt with them before
5immo

Postby Mikew on Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:53 pm

A quote from the ACCC,
“If a part is non-genuine, but is interchangeable with the genuine part, it could be seen as being fit or appropriate for the purpose and would therefore not void the manufacturer’s warranty. However, it must also be noted that should the part/s installed fail or not perform satisfactorily, the consumer then has rights against the fitter and/or manufacturer of those replacement parts. If the non-genuine part fails, and causes some other damage to the vehicle, the dealer and vehicle manufacturer will not be liable for damage caused by the failure of that part.”

The way I read it is that it would be up to the dealer to prove that the "non genuine" part was the cause of the failure.
There's more ways to kill a cat other than shoving strawberries up its arse
Mikew

Postby Tony on Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:54 pm

I specificity asked two dealers this question, they can not warrant non genuine filters is what I got. If something shits, whoever fitted it will need a good insurance cover as filter manufactures likely back down on a claim.
Seen it happen here years back, ended up in court and filter supplier was found at fault. :?
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:11 pm

Can't blame them for not warranting a non-genuine filter but if an engine failed from an unrelated i.e. not lubrication related, then they would have to prove how it actually caused the failure I would have thought.

It is warranting the engine itself that would be the issue. An unrelated failure due to other causes shouldn't be denied under warranty.

If the engine failed due to an aftermarket filter being used then yes, Mitsubishi would wipe you.

Easier to go genuine even if some aftermarket filters could well be better quality.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gauci204 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:41 pm

Has anyone chopped a genuine filter down the guts and got a photo of it? Also, any mechs out there used Sakura filters before? We use them on our trucks without any dramas, and it just so happens that our truck parts supplier stocks the filte for the triton as it is the same part number as one of the canter motors. Also only $15 each :D . Don't want to save $35 a hit at the cost of a motor though.
gauci204

Postby Kegsy on Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:57 pm

Sakura manufacture the factory toyota filters from what I've been told... They should be fine, I used to run them all the time.

Im thinking of cutting down a factory filter and a couple of the aftermarket ones to see whats inside, just have to find the "can opener" at work.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby renotriton on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:29 pm

personally I would only fit genuine parts for the engine and all systems associated with the engine during warranty period. I Don't want the issue of warranty becoming a blame game because I would be the one without a car for weeks and possible having to pay for the mistake out of my pocket. Engine + problems =$$$
renotriton

Postby gauci204 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:13 pm

I'm nearly out of warranty anyway. I change the oil every 5-7000k, and the oil still looks new I also change the filter at each oil change. The size of the oil filters on these things are huge in comparison to any other vehicle I've owned (besides trucks)' and even then some of the truck oil filters are smaller.

For anyone that's interested, speak to diesel drive at moorebank for the Sakura filters.

Chris
gauci204

Postby Homer on Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:38 am

I'm in renotritons camp.
It's not so much that I believe an after market filter will be the cause...it's the 2 months wait and possible legal bills if the engine does have an issue I want to avoid.

Save $35 bucks a couple of times a year is barely enough for a couple of slabs...and everyone knows when it gets down to it...savings is just about how many extra slabs you could have bought...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby 5immo on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:44 am

just curious but does anyone know of anyone that has had a problem with aftermarket oil filters even on a different car? I worked in an aftermarket car shop for 6 years and have never heard of a problem :?:
5immo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:40 am

One of the dealers that posts on here had seen a Ryco oil filter collapse and do a bit of damage from memory. He's a good guy so if he says it happened that's good enough for me.

That's the only story of that happening that I can recall though.

Cowboy Dave

Postby helicopter7 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:09 pm

Seriously guys, why are you even having this discussion about using aftermarket parts if your vehicle is still under factory warranty :?:

Not only did you pay for this warranty in the purchase price but now you risk lossing it for the sake of saving a few dollars.

If your engine fails because of either an aftermarket part, and or being fitted incorrectly by someone other than Mitsubishi then good luck fighting this in court. Just make sure you can get to work by public transport while [in this example of a filter] the filter manufacturer, mechanical workshop that fitted the part and Mitsubishi legal department dance around in court for the next 12 months, and I think we all know what the outcome will be right?

While you do pay thru the nose for servicing [I know just did the 30K service for $590] at Mitsubishi, I have peace of mind that if 'they' did something wrong which lead to some failure 'they' will fix it, no ifs or buts or get involved with discussions regarding aftermarket parts etc. This guarantees that during the 5 year warranty period Mitsubishi have to by law fix any problem covered by new car warranty, or issues their mechanics may have created, as they know full well that if there is a legal disput, they don'y have a leg to stand on. It was serviced by THEM! the end. :lol:

On the other hand if the vehicle has be serviced by someone else then good luck ! I am fully aware of the fact that by law any licenced workshop can service/repair a vehicle without jeopardising its warranty if they use original parts, but you know........in the real world.......... you need to have very fat pockets choosing to go the legal road and as most of you know, any car manufacturer would try its best to avoid costly mechanical repairs when they know there is a good chance of winning the case.

And for what to save a couple of bucks on an oil filter, you must be joking right....?

All I do is change the oil every 6000km and if i did the oil filter it would be original item so no questions asked.

Oh BTW, I am not in any way or form associated with Mitsubishi.

Cheers
helicopter7

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:27 pm

Mate while I agree with you, and have my vehicle dealer serviced for those reasons, I still do my own interim oil changes (no biggie there) and have had aftermarket mods fitted where I thought fit.

The big problem, and it's unfortunate but true, is that many dealer mechanics in this fair country of ours are bloody useless. There are guys here who would drive many miles to go past dealers where they've had bad service before. You only have to look at tonight's posts to find a dealer who suggested tailshaft work to fix an air conditioner fan vibration!!

So, unfortunately it's not as cut and dried as you have put it. Some would regard it as more risky to let dealer mechanics work on their truck than it would be to use a trusted non dealer mechanic and potentially jeopardise their warranties.

Each to their own is my philosophy. We all make our own value judgments based on the risks we are prepared to take and our own life experiences.

I have a dealer with whom I am prepared to take calculated risks. I have another I'd not trust to even supply me a correct part without assistance. I've even had one purport to work on my vehicle in circumstances where I am absolutely convinced they did nothing at all.

Cowboy Dave

Postby helicopter7 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:59 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Mate while I agree with you, and have my vehicle dealer serviced for those reasons, I still do my own interim oil changes (no biggie there) and have had aftermarket mods fitted where I thought fit.

The big problem, and it's unfortunate but true, is that many dealer mechanics in this fair country of ours are bloody useless. There are guys here who would drive many miles to go past dealers where they've had bad service before. You only have to look at tonight's posts to find a dealer who suggested tailshaft work to fix an air conditioner fan vibration!!

So, unfortunately it's not as cut and dried as you have put it. Some would regard it as more risky to let dealer mechanics work on their truck than it would be to use a trusted non dealer mechanic and potentially jeopardise their warranties.

Each to their own is my philosophy. We all make our own value judgments based on the risks we are prepared to take and our own life experiences.

I have a dealer with whom I am prepared to take calculated risks. I have another I'd not trust to even supply me a correct part without assistance. I've even had one purport to work on my vehicle in circumstances where I am absolutely convinced they did nothing at all.

I hear what your saying, and rightly so we all make decisions based on our experience and I can appreciate why some people are prepared to go to a mechanic they trust rather than a bad mechanic in a dealer.

I was quoting from my own experience watching my brother-in-law fighting in court over the rear CV joints of his HSV commodore. Both CV's failed while still in warranty which would otherwise have been fixed without question, unfortunatelly he had lowered the vehicle using aftermarket parts. Holden argued that due to fitment of non standard spring heights caused the CV's to assume a more accute angle causing their failure.

Rubbish I hear you saying and I agree. CV's like to operate at mild angles [within reason] other than in a straight line as the wear is more even within the bearing housing which reduces the chances of snatching or locking. Anyway he lost, payed $300 in court costs and the bad blood made further warranty claims on Holden difficult. I forget how long his car was off the road during the fiasco.

Thats where I'm coming from. I just don't want to see other people ending up in a similar situation.

Cheers
helicopter7

Return to Servicing