Tom B's ML single cab

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Tom B's ML single cab

Postby Tom B on Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:03 pm

It all started 18 months ago when I needed to upgrade my ride to something more suitable for a budding engineer. Unfortunately I had not yet discovered NTN so I was travelling blind while I test drove the various turbo diesel utes but ultimately I ended up in the right car in the end. The mighty 3.2 ML triton.

While I waited for the day to pick it up, I sussed out various tyre joints and decided on some 275/70/17 Bridgestone 693 A/Ts on Speedy 17x10.5” Baja alloys. So after picking her up it was straight to Jax to have them fitted, and I couldn’t of been happier.

Click to view larger picture

Sound was next, an Alpine system with 1600 watt amp, 12” slim sub, 6.5” splits and CDE117 head unit with Bluetooth, simply amazing is all I can say, very loud while still being crystal clear. Also added a GME 3440 UHF, tucked the unit under the dash with the mic in easy reach.

This is about the time I discovered NTN, and wow :shock: was I, and my wallet in for a shock. But as I slowly read through everything compiling a list, I actually had no idea which mod to get next :evil: . Then one day while at work it came to me, we always needed air around the worksite, often in quantities not viable enough to drag the compressors out, long story short the new ARB high output compressor now resides in my toolbox ready for work/refilling my tyres and generally scaring the hell out of people when combined with the twin Hadley air horns I have :twisted:

More to come
No more Triton....

Now where did I leave that Patrol ;)
Tom B

Re: Tom B's ML single cab

Postby Sky Miner on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:47 am

Comming along nicely Tom B ;) and ya rite NTN will empty ya wallet pretty quick with idears :lol: But damn
it does feel good eh!! 8-)
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby 1ZERO5 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:09 am

you don't live out at Greenbank do you? if that is you then I've seen you heaps of times. and I always thought those tyres looked awesome.
1ZERØ5
1ZERO5

Postby Tom B on Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:32 pm

Probably is me mate, I seem to be hanging around there a fair bit lately.

So that’s how she stayed for around 6 months doing the daily grind, while I saved and saved until finally a work/holiday trip to Sydney came around earlier this year.
A call to the boys at Ultimate for suspension and new brakes, and a big thanks to Lachlan who found me some shocks on such short notice.
By the time I had driven home I was 100% sure I had made the right choice.

A few smaller mods including a scanguage, sprint booster, bash plates and highlift followed,

before I dived in and threw a 2” body lift in. I machined the blocks myself so it worked out quite cheap, thanks to Ben and his guide it all went smoothly and only took 5 hours. (didn't have a hoist ;) )

After a run to the new Scenic Rim park a new bar was soon on order,

The nudge bar just isn’t up to the task :lol:
So an Xrox bar was ordered, and I waited, and waited, and waited :evil: until finally it arrived 3 weeks late. Straight home to fit it up, then modify it, the negative side to being an engineer is you can always see how it will fit better, so it was lifted and modified to my liking. I’m still yet to make some fill in pieces for the sides but I’ll get there.

Another foreign order at work soon saw a fill in bash plate for the gap, 3mm stainless to match the other plates; nothing is getting through there now.

Now after searching high and low for a replacement seat so I could finally ditch the ¾ bench, I finally got a call about a trashed GLXR I could dismantle, a quick trip to the wreckers saw a new passenger seat, and a waeco 12v fridge in a custom centre console soon followed.

Just for a laugh I decided to make a 2 ½” dump pipe to bolt into the exhaust before the muffler, Combined with winding the wastegate up I like the sound so much I’ve decided to leave it in there for now.

Next was a pleasant surprise from the tax man to the tune of some play tyres and lockers, decided on 33” BFG KM2 muddies on 16x8 black dynamics, wow do they grip, feels like I can point them at any hill and it will have no problems.

As I type the lockers are sitting in the next room waiting for their time to go in, I can only imagine what a weapon they will transform her into.

A rather disastrous trip out at Logan which resulted in mud getting into the air box :? , a snorkel was soon at the top of the list. It was a hard choice between the snorkel brands but the TJM Airtec got the nod, and boy that was a pain in the arse to fit, after much swearing and a few cuts it was in, I’m 90% sure it is sealed but I can’t be sure, but the next water crossing will tell.

Now one for the single cab boys, a quality back panel. Made mine from 19mm MDF and automotive carpet, glued and stappled. It is only velcroed in place but it looks to be holding strong for now, not that it should ever let go.

Sorry for the bad photo, sun was rather annoying.

To test it all out a trip to Janowen was organised, made it up some hairy looking tracks I thought were maybe a bit out of my reach.

Made it up, looks easier than what it was.

Flexing up

Having a little fun

Front on

In the arvo sun

Still have plenty to do, including lights, winches and a custom comp style tray with rollover protection, oh and the locker install of course. No doubt the forum will turn up some other ideas that i'll have to have :P
No more Triton....

Tom B

Postby BEN115 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:34 pm

WOW good to see another fairly modified single cab getting around!
looking good so far mate. might have to steal that idea for the back pannel in the cab. maybe the stereo too :P you wont know what to do with yourself once the lockers go in. the places they get with them is quite ridiculous really. looking forward to following you progression :)
BEN115

Postby NickTriton on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:04 am

Lovin what you have done so far! As soon as I start getting payed more I might have some of these mods :evil: too!
NickTriton

Postby NickTriton on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:19 am

Like the seats and fridge!
NickTriton

Postby Duck on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:49 am

Great looking machine, once you finish all of the mods imagine how much more time you will have at work to do work stuff, sometimes work gets int he way of vehicle modifications. But so much easier to do things at work aith all of the right gear. Good job.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby Rockyml on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:22 am

Hey mate nice looking ml! Good to see there are a few single cabs getting around I've just joined waiting to get my 07 ml back my question is though, can you legally body lift the ml tritons legally now? :shock:
Rockyml

Postby Tom B on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:37 am

Welcome to the site Rocky.
A 50mm body lift only requires an approved engineer to sign off on it these days so its fairly easy as long as everything is done properly
No more Triton....

Tom B

Postby Harro on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:32 am

Good looking Tri Tom B
Harro

Postby JamoGLXR on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:15 pm

I really like what you've done. im not a massive fan of single Cab Tritons but this has really got my attention

thread subscribed :)
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby Tom B on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:35 pm

Quick update,
Steel for the tray is here and awaiting time for fabrication.
Also an ARB front air locker was fitted yesterday while the rear sits on the bench waiting for a new bearing because no one in Brisbane has any in stock, guess ill have to wait another couple days to get it back :(
No more Triton....

Tom B

Postby NickTriton on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:49 pm

Sweet as! Seriously considering taking out the 3/4 bench and putting in another single...
NickTriton

Postby Tom B on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:16 am

Well unfortunatly thanks to work and other commitments with it being christmas and all, the tray had to be put on the backburner for a while, but not before I got it sent away for the tube to be bent up
So we are hoping some down down in the next couple of weeks sees it take more shape :)

Now i've had the lockers in for a few weeks now and what can i say, they really are magic buttons :twisted: the places it will go now is incredible to the point where ive dinted both door panels and broken off both side mirrors :evil: oops, oh well

next mod will be MR screwed coilovers I think, maybe even play with 35s again
No more Triton....

Tom B

Postby wake jake on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:37 pm

With the tray, lockers, 35s and MR gear it'll be a weapon. I just got some MR coilovers great stuff :)
wake jake

Postby goochie on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:03 pm

Good on you so far mate this thing is a weapon. Basically all the same things I have/plan to have on my single cab. Just without the engineering knowledge :cry: haha. Look forward to seeing the tray! Starting mine soon
07 ML Triton, 2" Lift, 33's, Snorkel, XROX, Spotties, 3" Exhaust, CHIPIT Chip. Waddup!
goochie

Postby Canisrow on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:25 pm

Love seeing single cabs getting modified, great work mate :D
Canisrow

Re: Tom B's ML single cab, Custom Tray build

Postby Tom B on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:57 pm

I hope everyone had a good Christmas/New years break, mine was, well way too short to say the least.
Only managed 2 days in the workshop, plus we ran out of oxy so not much more could have been done anyways but it has taken some shape

Still wondring what colour to paint it, but leaning towards either black or gunmetal at this stage

cheers
No more Triton....

Tom B

Postby BEN115 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:44 pm

that looks mean! looking forward to the finished product!
BEN115

Postby fridgie on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:52 pm

Tray is gonna look sick when finished ;-)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby kwyjibo on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:29 pm

Make sure the frame goes higher than ths roof line =)

Should look the part when finished, you do good work!
kwyjibo

Postby Tom B on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Yeah it's on the back burner for a bit ;) lol but it will a solid little unit
No more Triton....

Tom B

Postby Tom B on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:48 am

Well the last few months have been interesting to say the least, after my little accident I've been busy getting her back together, and also a few major mods are in the pipeline.

For the record the ute was gone for 3 weeks, then another few days for engine mounts before I got it back all shiny and running like a dream, thanks to the guys who helped me on the day, also Lee for getting the last bit of insurance work taken care of, and of course Fridgie!! I would of been a mess without your help mate!

So what's new! (Apart from most of my panels ;) lol) well the body lift is back in, kinda missed the height for a while, also had it mod plated so I never have to take it out again

I'm also considering moving up to 35" play tyres again due to the fact I now posses the mythical 4.3 petrol diff gears
On my "workbench"

Nice and clean inside

Also scored the cvs from the wreck, anyone know where I can get then strengthened??

And finally the tray! Been probably the longest most frustrating thing I've ever done, but it will get there
Frame in

Still not sure how the spares will mount, maybe something like this

Hopefully the tray is done by tuff truck, would be nice to show it off
No more Triton....

Tom B

Postby NickTriton on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:38 pm

Car is coming along awesome!! Was just spying on the enemy over at NewHilux. Gotta say I'm jealous of the mods they have for aftermarket. But I like the tritons better. Keen to start modding mine. Soon as I go 3rd year should be able to start saving money
NickTriton

Next

Return to Member Build Ups