Si's Tri

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Si's Tri

Postby siwren on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:53 pm

Lighting:

Just simple stuff to date. Given the fact that I'm going a 5 week trip in a few months, I want to make life as easy as possible. So I've used strip lighting on all the lift up windows, with pretty good results.

Click to view larger picture

I'll run strip lighting inside the awning when I get it, and have a couple or works lights hanging under the pioneer rack.

Next up with the winch install then onto the suspension.
Simon

See my Triton build: Si's Tri
My Shed
siwren

Postby Declan88 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:05 pm

Those canopy strip lights look really effective. Nice choice
Declan88

Postby emjayar on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:58 am

Really awesome rig! I've enjoyed looking at your mods!

Could I ask to see more of the lights during the daylight and possibly where they came from?

Also how have you mounted your drawers to the tub?
http://www.lifesbumpyroads.com | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Driving the conversation on depression and suicide awareness and intervention for Lifeline and beyondblue
'07 ML GLXR 3.2L as seen in Australian 4WD Action issue 238
emjayar

Postby DrewXT on Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:54 am

Hey mate, great looking drawers, how did you do the Teflon on the bottom? Any pics?

how deep did you go with them?
DrewXT

Postby siwren on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:49 pm

I'll take some photos tomorrow. Simple setups for both the lights and the draw slides.
Simon

My Shed
siwren

Postby siwren on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:53 pm

emjayar wrote:Really awesome rig! I've enjoyed looking at your mods!

Could I ask to see more of the lights during the daylight and possibly where they came from?

Also how have you mounted your drawers to the tub?

Lights are 5050 SMD flexable LED Strips, that I cut and soldered in 1m or lengths for each lift up window. I also put dimmers inline and close to the strips as full power is quite bright.

I kept them them at the top of the windows for the sides and at the bottom for the rear and created my own customer switch panels from aluminium that I bolted to the ARB internal frame using their existing brackets on both sides of the canopy. I've made allowances to wire in another strip light for the awning and a couple of work lights. you can reach the light switches from either the side of the rear which was a bonus.

Here you can see the dimmer on the left.

Switch Panel.

With the window closed you can use it to light up the canopy.

One thing that was handy. Use small gauge twin core strips when cutting and rejoining the light strips. I used heavier gauge first up and it just cracked the solder.

The power is supplied from a Narva Fuse Box tucked into one of the side storage areas.
Simon

My Shed
siwren

Postby siwren on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:05 pm

DrewXT wrote:Hey mate, great looking drawers, how did you do the Teflon on the bottom? Any pics?

how deep did you go with them?

Internally the draws are 110cm x 45cm x 30cm. The end piece overlaps the frame and surrounded by carpet, which seals really really well from duct. How do I know this? Well I left a fire extinguisher to roll around inside one of the draws and the pin fell out and then the extinguisher went off emptying itself completely into one of the draws and none of the powder leaked out.

RE the "Teflon" strips, I sort of worked it out myself and was going to keep it to myself, but due to popular demand the stuff is HDPE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-density_polyethylene) that I had cut to length from a plastics company. When placed at the bottom of the frame and bottom of the draws they rub together, but due to the hardness and silicone spray there is minimal friction and zero wear. In fact it seems to get better with use.

Here you can see the strips in the bottom of the frame and underneath the draws.

I've also got matching strips on the top of the draws as well so that when you open the draws the top bits touch and ensure that it slides out really far.

emjayar wrote: Also how have you mounted your drawers to the tub?

As I have the factory tub liner in there that has ridges, I just screwed down into the ridges with a lot of screws. This means I'm not drilling holes into the tub. So far I've performance tested them at speed over speed humps that the draws down lift. My brother also made the top and sides very tight to the tub which also helps a lot.

The draws also coped a flogging due to my s**t suspension and the inland tracks at fraser and still didnt move, so it is obviously holding.
Simon

My Shed
siwren

Postby siwren on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:11 pm

One thing that may catch me out is how high I made the draws...

I have a Evakool RF60 Fridge and planning on buying the MSA dropslide for it, but today I read that it raises it off the floor by 35mm.

By my calculations I'm going to have 3mm clearance. Fingers crossed is clears.
Simon

My Shed
siwren

Postby Robby on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:52 pm

Looks good mate,just about to start a draw build myself and have been playing around with the HDPE strips trying a few different ways to run the draws. Enjoyed reading your build

Cheers Robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Crash486 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:32 pm

Someone I know used the plastic tongue from mdf sheets, probably the same stuff. Nice build.
Crash486

Postby Robby on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:21 pm

Crash486 wrote:Someone I know used the plastic tongue from mdf sheets, probably the same stuff. Nice build.

Great idea plenty of yellow tongue laying around building sites.
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby siwren on Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:07 pm

Crash486 wrote:Someone I know used the plastic tongue from mdf sheets, probably the same stuff. Nice build.

Quite likely. Even plastic chopping boards is the same type of plastic. Just depends on your budget and how easy you want to make it on yourself :)

I bought 16 strips that were 1500x25x6mm and they came in at less than $100, I think $70 actually.
Simon

My Shed
siwren

Postby siwren on Fri May 09, 2014 3:13 pm

New shoes were put on today, Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's.

Too early to determine how they are in general, but not too noisy on the black top.

Also fitted the Runva 11XP Winch and hidden the control box behind the bullbar, I'll post picks up later.
Simon

My Shed
siwren

Postby har05l on Fri May 09, 2014 5:36 pm

Looking good ;)

Love the black and white mix, looks 8-)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby trumpy955 on Fri May 09, 2014 5:38 pm

Niiiiice 8-)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
trumpy955

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups