Odie's GLX MN MY12 Build-up

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Odie's GLX MN MY12 Build-up

Postby odie602r on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:07 am

That is a good idea - does it stick okay to the glass?
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:57 am

Mine lasted around 2 years- just came off last week- caught the wire on a pushbike handle .
tried super glue and that didn't work too good.

Might be easier just to apply another strip- but yes lasts pretty well on the glass ;)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby odie602r on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:24 am

One other thing I forgot to mention in regards to the in-tub Anderson plug that I wired up and did that separate power run along the shelf system for my fridge - being attached to the Anderson plug means that when I remove the shelf system all I need to do is unplug the Anderson plug and the cabling comes out too.

Nice and simple.

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:34 am

So I’d been giving some thought to how best utilise the smallish storage area right at the front of the shelf system on the left hand side, behind the fridge. I’ve got a toolbox, portable light, straps, towel, spare hats etc, but thought it had potential for more. When camping at Portland back in Oct, a grey nomad in a Landcruiser had a setup that gave me an idea - he had a jerry can (water) that then had a very simple hose plumbing exercise that gravity fed water for them for those side of the road stops, or when camping where tap water wasn’t available.

So I set about doing something similar ....

Started off buying some 25x50x3mm aluminium angle to make up a base frame to support it - and I just screwed it into my existing frame (I forgot to take photos of the step by step process this time ...)

(CLICK FOR FULL IMAGES)

but you can see what I mean at the bottom of this photo
Click to view larger picture

In this shot you can see that screwed in a couple of pieces of wood near the top to minimise movement, and match the fact that there is the 25mm aluminium angle at the base

That photo also shows that I used cam straps to secure the water container (25L) to the frame. Because it sits on the base that I made up, and is then strapped to the frame, it all comes out as one with the shel system - nice and easy!

The above shot, as well as the ones below, show that I drilled through the lid and pushed through a 13mm poly garden 90 degree barb piece and then patched it back up with sikaflex. I then attached a decent length of tubing with a click-on hose fitting right at the end, and an inline tap. This setup was to serve two purposes:
to allow easy filling up of the water container without having to remove it; and
to allow plenty of ‘breather’ space so that water won’t splash around and out when driving (you know how the lid always needs to be partially open to allow the water to flow easily)

No mess, no fuss!

Here’s how I weaved through the piping and secured it to the frame:

How it sits when travelling

and when extended being used to get water

Simple way of easily carrying 25L of water around - and all integrated into the removable shelf system too.

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DoubleD on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:11 am

Love your work, simple & effective!!
DoubleD

Postby odie602r on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:26 pm

One little tip for those who are pulling off the rear inner mudguards - there are a couple of screws you can't see - namely the ones right up above the wheel. I found them rather difficult to get back in (I left them to screw in last) - I don't think the plastic aligned properly. My suggestion would be to do these top screws first.

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:33 pm

4wd26 wrote:nice- some good ideas that I'm going to steel.

I have an additional idea for you though.
the led strip lighting- add a strip to the canopy window below the stop light. when the rear window is opened it sheds a lot of light outside and into the fridge and when I prepare meals on the tail gate ;)

Doesn't it shine in your eyes though when just wanting to look/get into the canopy and not cook? Just thinking it through a bit more.

Also, does seeing the strip in the rear vision mirror get annoying?

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:49 pm

odie602r wrote:
4wd26 wrote:nice- some good ideas that I'm going to steel.

I have an additional idea for you though.
the led strip lighting- add a strip to the canopy window below the stop light. when the rear window is opened it sheds a lot of light outside and into the fridge and when I prepare meals on the tail gate ;)

Doesn't it shine in your eyes though when just wanting to look/get into the canopy and not cook? Just thinking it through a bit more.

Also, does seeing the strip in the rear vision mirror get annoying?

I placed mine at the bottom of the window, as opposed to the top, so when cooking it sits over your head and doesnt shine into your eyes, and you cant see it in the rearview mirror
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:21 pm

That sounds good - what about the wire to the led strip - where did you run this so that it doesn't get in the way/get caught etc?

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:21 pm

That sounds good - what about the wire to the led strip - where did you run this so that it doesn't get in the way/get caught etc?

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:23 pm

odie602r wrote:That sounds good - what about the wire to the led strip - where did you run this so that it doesn't get in the way/get caught etc?

Not sure how I managed the double post - but also can't see how to delete one either....

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:26 pm

Just thinking about this whole LED strip lighting some more - how well do the led strips stick to the underside of the bonnet? Ie the metal areas. Thinking of lighting up that area next.

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:18 pm

I've installed them under the bonnet. It's been over 6mths and no issues thus far. Just be sure to clean the sticking surface first.

All the details are in by build thread.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:46 am

Thought I'd put in an update in the One way valve I installed after blanking the EGR. Originally I installed this as it appeared as though the blank caused my fuel consumption to increase by about 1.5L/100kms. The brains trust on here at the time suggested that perhaps due to there being less air pressure than expected the ecu was overcompensating by fuelling more, leading to the increase in consumption.

So, I installed the one way valve. Next highway trip the economy was back to pre-blanking, so I assumed that indeed the one way valve had done the job. Its been on ever since.

It was only a week ago that I more closely read over and thought through the fuel economy pre and post one way valve mod. The pre blanking highway fuel economy (approx 9.5L/100kms) was achieved on several occasions, but on predominantly flat terrain and always to the same destination. The immediately post- blanking highway economy - whilst also achieved travelling at the same speed (100kmh) was to a different destination and was predominantly hilly not flat. This is where the economy changed as previously stated. My immediately post-one way valve trip was again on flat terrain, achieving the better economy (9.5).

I only just clicked that perhaps the terrain caused a change in consumption, not the blanking, in part because I just travelled the same hilly terrain with the one way valve and got the same economy as the first time without it!

So, an experiment was in order. I knew what economy I get at highway speeds on relatively flat terrain, both before and after blanking and one way valving. So for this trip (the flat terrain trips are all to the same destination) I decided to remove the one way valve and measure economy.

As it turns out, I achieved exactly the same economy without the one way valve (but with EGR blanked) compared to pre blanking and valve. It's taken me a while to twig, but for my triton I can now conclude that the one way valve isn't necessary for economy. That is, the increase in economy I thought occurred after blanking was a product of hilly terrain, not the blanking of the EGR.

I guess should I start getting codes the one way valve may be required again, but from what I understand the latest ecu upgrade should also stop this (I'm getting the 15k service next week).

So for me for now, I've removed the one way valve, and probably feel better for it. For me, the blanking didn't cause an increase in consumption.

I'm yet to do a tank fill and then economy calculation but my scangauge is really accurate. Should I be misguided ill let you know.!

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Just completed the fuel calculation, which came out at 9.8L/100kms - with about 450kms highway @100kmh, and the rest city driving.

So, this confirms that, for my triton, the EGR blank didn't end up increasing fuel economy after all, it was just different terrain!

No harm done, but it (the one way valve) now remains out.

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:00 pm

I got around to painting the shelf system that I made up for the tub - went black cos black goes with anything, right?!

Nothing flash, just a quick sand over the plywood and then a few cans of enamel spray paint, but makes it look that little bit nicer, in my opinion.

(click on photos to see full image)

You can also see on some of these pics that I put some strips of 3M clear tape along the top and bottom - just to help minimise scratching the paint when I put in the 100litre tubs when camping.

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:02 pm

odie602r wrote:That sounds good - what about the wire to the led strip - where did you run this so that it doesn't get in the way/get caught etc?

My Razorback canopy door has a groove all the way around between the glass and metal. I jammed the cable into that and fed it around to the top of the door, where there is a slot and I could move it into the inside of the metal frame. Here I hooked it up to the active cable coming from the internal light.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:04 pm

I also made up a slide for the RHS of the shelf system, with some bits and pieces I had left over. The purpose of the slide is to make daily life easier (eg shopping, school bags etc) as the whole slide can now be moved in and out. Due to it not being on rollers, or attached in any way, it is not intended for our camping or 4WD trips at all.

(click for full image)

(apologies for the glariness of the photos)

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:22 pm

Just remembered - when I had the shelf system out to paint, I took a couple of photos of how I secured the 25L water container onto it.

In this photo you can see the 25x50mm aluminium angle that it's sitting on. On three sides it was screwed directly onto the existing frame. On the fourth side, I first bolted an additional 25x25 square tubing piece before screwing the 25x50mm angle to that.

And here's an underside view:

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TUFF TROOP on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:07 pm

Looking good Ben,
Did u wana catch up one night next week have a look at a few things ?
TUFF TROOP

Postby odie602r on Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:56 am

TUFF TROOP wrote:Looking good Ben,
Did u wana catch up one night next week have a look at a few things ?

That'd be great. PM sent

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:35 pm

Here it is with a new set of wheels - Speedy Wheels Tomahawk. 16x8, 25 offset.

They push the tyres out 13mm further than stock, so not too dramatic, but still enough to be noticeable. Going with the 8" apparently opens up my options more should I wish to go wider with the next set.

Plus, 16x8 sounds better than 16x7, doesn't it?!!

Don't forget to click for full image:

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby furious on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:56 pm

Nice, I'm stealing some of your ideas.