Show us ya Tubs!!!!

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Show us ya Tubs!!!!

Postby Tim007 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:34 pm

Hey guys,

I am in the midst of trying to set up my tub so I can safely transport my gear when touring and ensure it does not end up all over the place or fly through the air when hitting the tracks. I have a plastic liner at the moment and I am not that keen on draws at this stage, but I do need to be able to strap my fridge and other bulky items down. I am keen to see what other users have done to the tray area to make it more touring friendly. Thanks
Keen to get amongst it!!
Tim007

Re: Show us ya Tubs!!!!

Postby Barney2803 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:03 pm

Click to view larger picture

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Barney2803

Postby Big Damo on Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:24 pm

Barney, I'd be interested in knowing what sort of drawer unit that is, whether or not it is a permanent install and how you fixed to the bottom of the tub! Thanks
Big Damo

Postby Big Damo on Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:25 pm

Oh yeh, great topic Tim. Putting a lot of though myself into how to set mine up for touring but still have plenty of room when I need it (what a ute is for!)
Big Damo

Postby Barney2803 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Hey,

It's a custom made unit that's about half the width but full Lenght. It's fixed with brackets at the front and I'm not sure about the back. It's got a draw as one half and the front half is a lidded box section.

I'm selling it if you're interested?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Barney2803

Postby Tim007 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:26 pm

Big Damo wrote:Oh yeh, great topic Tim. Putting a lot of though myself into how to set mine up for touring but still have plenty of room when I need it (what a ute is for!)

thanks Damo, amazing how much thought you put into this stuff to make sure you get it right. I have the same issue of not wanting to permanently take up all the space. I am thinking a sheet or marine play bolted to the tray covered with marine carpet, whack a fridge slide on and a heap of tie down points to start with. Can always add a draw or two later it need be. Maybe even set them up so they can come in and out easily. Still keen to see heaps of pics.
Keen to get amongst it!!
Tim007

Postby nickknock on Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:50 am

I've heard of people running a chain around between the factory tie down points, gives you something else to tie on to that's strong
nickknock

Postby Snooozy on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:31 am

like this ;)
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby nickknock on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:20 pm

^^^^^ Thats the one!
nickknock

Postby odie602r on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:28 pm

Nothing to show just yet but I too have been pondering this since taking ownership back in Feb ...

I also didn't want a permanent instal. Was originally going to do a custom drawer slide, but now keeping it simpler and having an aluminum frame that halves the tub width (like drawers do but without drawers) that will have plastic tubs on one side (so that when camping can just pull the whole tub out and take it into tent/campsite) and the other side having my fridge (on a custom made fridge slide). Then there will be a platform lid over the top to give me two levels and put more stuff on top.

But like I said, no pics yet. The project starts this weekend - all the bits have now arrived. I'm going to tap into 4 of the existing tub screw points.

Will post here when there's some action shots!
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:50 pm

Keep in mind that you can also get a full sized tray slide. They're pretty cool. Full length of the tub and wide enough to sit between the guards. You lose a little depth/height but in theory you get back the ease of access to stuff up the front which can be one of the biggest problems, especially if you have a canopy.

I ended up going with drawers but I was seriously contemplating a tray slide and some of those big space case things - one for camping, one for recovery gear and so on - just load up the right boxes and you're away.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Tim007 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:57 pm

So I had a couple of days to myself after getting back from Fraser and decided I could do a better job of the tray. I wanted to keep the fridge secure but not quite sure I want to sacrifice the whole tray to a draw system as our tent takes up a heap of space in the tray and space is a premium. Here is what I came up with. It was supposed to be a cheap project to pass the beers (time) in the shed while I had the time to myself. It ended up costing a bit more then anticipated but I am happy.

1) Purchased a sheet of ply and using some cardboard I cut out a template.
2) happy with that I painted it in some exterior paint I had laying around to help seal it.
3) decided where I wanted the tie down points, fridge slide and battery box and got to drilling and fixing in the t-nuts
T-nuts are a great idea for when you need to flush fit bolts as I did.
4)Off to Clarks Rubber for some marine carpet
5)Cut the carpet away from the holes for the bolts and the Weeman and I got to bolting things down. Added 4 tie down points. We went over the top and used stainless steel bolts and washers for everything but figured it wont rust.
6)Trial fit up before installing it all.
7) this project created the best excuse to splurge out on a new battery box and Redarc 1220 dual battery system from JTS. I must say it is a nice bit of gear.
8) When bolting it to the tray floor I used a neoprene washer as well as a normal washer to create a better water seal against the bottom of the tray. It worked very well. I will still apply some silicone but the more protection the better.
9) screwed some angle to the front for some protection and whola!!! :D :D

I am very happy with the finished product and will probably knock up a draw when we upgrade to a camper trailer but for now this is exactly what I need. I am not very good at this stuff as I usually tone a suit to work and opt to let more handy people tackle this sort of thing but I must say it was very satisfying to see it finished. :D :D :D :D
Keen to get amongst it!!
Tim007

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:35 pm

thats a nice way of getting everything and still having the tub most of the time- well done
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby mad992 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:39 pm

looks fantastic tim :)
mad992

Postby Tim007 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:47 pm

thanks guys. yeah the battery box is just strapped in and the fridge slide only has four bolts in it that take a minute to pull out and you get you tub back. It means I can still fit the kids bikes and the bogs in if I have to with out much issue.
Keen to get amongst it!!
Tim007

Postby dan.batto on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Top job mate!!!! Looks fantastic! A very easy and useful mod ;)
dan.batto

Postby Joe on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:19 am

Well done Tim 8-) . Looks great and it's always satisfying when you do the work yourself.
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby fridgie on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:43 am

Well done mate, looks schmick 8-)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Riguez on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:44 pm

Has anyone put a tray slide in their tub like these http://www.bedslide.com.au/bedslide-ran ... prohd.html or these http://www.blueys.com.au/slide-tray/ ? was thinking of making one myself.
Riguez

Postby Bennys on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:11 am

Riguez wrote:Has anyone put a tray slide in their tub like these http://www.bedslide.com.au/bedslide-ran ... prohd.html or these http://www.blueys.com.au/slide-tray/ ? was thinking of making one myself.

No, but I'm looking for the same solution. Its a real pain trying to load and unload the heavy stuff ot the front of the tray. Pulled my back out up the cape trying to shuffle a 20L water jerry out.

I was looking at building my own also using these http://norden.com.au/index.php?pageID=3 ... chant_id=0 but the 60inch is priced at $750. So getting up there just for runners.

avenger 4x4 also has these http://www.avenger4x4.com.au/page/shop/ ... trayslides. They're around $800 for the 1.3m, $850 for the 1.5m (or were about a year and a half ago).
Bennys

Postby Duck on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:40 am

Very nice indeed get rid of the suit mate, full time cabinet maker in the works :D I have been trying to think up a way of utilising the wasted space at the top of the arches ( I have a hard lid)I currentlly have the compressor on one side & jumper leads on the other but they always fall into the tub somehting like you have done in a box might work, but as you I wear a suit & my builds look nothing like yours :lol: Mine look more like accident victims at twice the cost of the genuine article. :lol: Where are your photos & Fraser report ? :mrgreen:

Tim007 wrote:thanks guys. yeah the battery box is just strapped in and the fridge slide only has four bolts in it that take a minute to pull out and you get you tub back. It means I can still fit the kids bikes and the bogs in if I have to with out much issue.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby Chally on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:28 am

You look to have done an excellent job! :D

Jeff
Chally

Postby ldelaney69 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Looks great mate. Have you bolted it through the floor to secure it?
ldelaney69

Postby scema74 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:50 am

Has anyone used these:
http://store.powerful4x4.com.au/draws/
or
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-x-4-4WD-St ... 347wt_1263

any reports? Quality etc,
Does anyone know if the powerful 4 x 4 ones can be stacked on top of each other?

Thanks
scema74

Postby kevin on Fri May 17, 2013 8:41 pm

Riguez wrote:Has anyone put a tray slide in their tub like these http://www.bedslide.com.au/bedslide-ran ... prohd.html or these http://www.blueys.com.au/slide-tray/ ? was thinking of making one myself.

A bit late to this thread I know, but yes I have had a bedslide for quite some time now; I have the 1000. It extends about 67% of its length. Really useful and about $2k when I got mine. I have since installed a deck about 50cm above the slide. Heres pics closed / opened:

MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/
kevin

Next

Return to Member Build Ups