Steane's 2007 GLX-R Build

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Postby Steane on Mon May 16, 2011 4:54 pm

Click to view larger picture

With the build almost finished, I'm doing this the wrong way around, but better late than never...

It all started back in February 2008. After a month spent reading up on DC utes, the Triton got the nod. When they first hit the road I thought they looked like a joke, but they grew on me quickly, and the unique looks, combined with the class leading (size wise) 3.2 diesel and of course the significant price advantage over the Hilux made it an easy choice in the end.

So I found a Gumetal Grey GLX-R demo at a dealer. Had 14kms on the clock and set of bling bling 20" wheels that the dealer said I could have for an extra $4500 :lol: :lol: Did the deal, but told him he could keep the wheels...

It's a diesel manual, easy select and it came with some free dents in the tailgate caused by too much hands-on attention in the showroom, but I shrugged that off and settled into a year of happy Triton ownership. The plan was not to waste any money modifying this car...but Newtriton.net was to change that... :lol:

First mod was forced upon me when the symptoms of carbon build-up arrived. A trip to the dealer for a new intake manifold and clean-out, was followed up with an EGR blank and a Provent PCV filter.

That thing with the round lid is the Provent 200

A view from the other side of the engine showing the PCV inlet and outlet

Overall engine view. Removed the plastic cover as it just makes getting to stuff easier

A DP Chip was then added, and made quite a difference to the engines performance, but also made it quite a bit noisier. Only half happy with this mod.

Then the seats got the did3.2 seat spacer treatment, and what a difference that made! :D

Next mod was a centre console armrest from Italy, thanks to Joe's very popular group buy. Another awesome mod I wouldn't be without. 8-) ;)

Joe's imported Italian leather sliding arm-rest (great mod for the ML)

Throw in a couple of off-road excursions and the bug had well and truly bitten, and the changes started to come along thick and fast.

A set of Bilstein shocks, including a slight lift in the front made a big difference to the drive, but there was some worrying behaviour on rough tracks, with way too much steering feedback coming through. I'd manage to fix this problem later. ;)

The infamous ChipIT - I'm a very happy customer...

By now, the EGR blank was causing regular CELs and limp modes, mainly at highway speeds, when using the cruise, but it wasn't cool... ChipIT provided the solution, and I got in early enough to get their 210 DPS module at a great price. So I sold the DP Chip, hooked up the ChipIT and was amazed at the difference! Muuch more oomph, a quieter engine than stock and no more limp modes or CELs. :D :D :D Oh...and I added their boost controller set to 20psi, so I guess that made a difference as well. :lol:

Threw a Uni-filter oiled foam filter element in when I spotted an intake full of dust after a trip off-road :o :shock: Another problem fixed...

An iCom 440 UHF was then added. Hid the box under the centre console, and with the controls on the handset it takes up little space and is a neat solution. Another great idea I found on this forum.

You can see the iCom 440 to the left of the stereo. All the controls are on the hand-piece so it is quite an unobtrusive fit

Got real busy in the winter of 2010, and added some Baysies bash plates.

The famous Baysie's Bash Plates - saved my 4wd actuator at least twice

An Ironman Commercial bar was next, along with a set of Roo-Light 220s and a Safari snorkel that took me 7 hours to fit, rather than the 3 quoted... :lol: :lol: :? The front end sagged of course, so it was time to hit the road to Ultimate in Sydney.

The Billys came out, and the Ultimates went in. Comfort ride, with a 2" lift. The result was a revelation. The ride and handling were transformed, and best of all, the Triton's off-road ride was fixed. No more feedback through the wheel! :D 8-) Full marks and a gold star to Brendan, he is a beaut bloke to deal with and they know what they’re doing at Ultimate.

Look really closely and you can see the blue braided stainless brake lines

So I celebrated by having Ultimate fit one of their Sprint Boosters 8-) . Another good move, and one of the mods I wouldn't be without now. Run it on green, and the throttle response is spot on. You'd also swear there was another 40Nm under the bonnet.

The Sprint Booster meant that I needed to fit bigger brakes (of course :roll: ), so Ultimate threw on a set of their DBA rotors and Bendix pads to make sure I kept out of trouble. Damn those group buys... :lol:

Razorback canopy is as quirky looking as the Triton. I think they go together like chips and gravy... :?

Got back from Sydney and started to research canopies. The ML has a tray that looks 8-) but is too small to be really useful (especially if you want to fit a fridge on a slide), so the only way to improve the situation was to build...up. I looked at them all, but couldn't get past the steel construction, looks and most importantly the central locking 8-) 8-) offered by the Razorback canopy. So I bit what is a rather expensive bullet and got it organised.

The rear door is hooked into the central locking system. Very 8-) 8-) 8-)

The canopy was fitted and looked (IMO) the ducks guts. Fitting was only 80% though, and I spent some time sorting the wiring out better, and refitting a bung correctly to prevent the cab filling up with water at the next creek crossing. :roll:

Somewhere in all of this I arranged a set of MTZ (265/75/16) on some Dynamic steelies, and swapped the boggo stocko tyres for some Maxxis AT700s in the same size as the MTZs. Muuuuch betterer!

Great tyres, and the rim/tyre combo really toughens up the look

A 3" Scott's Rods exhaust was the next item fitted, and while we were there we added some Hazzard Engineering sliders. Wrapped with both products, and the service received from both businesses.

A slightly deeper note was the only noticeable change after fitting the 3"

An NTN forum member then did me a deal on an ARB rear bar, that I fitted late in 2010. What a biatch of a job to do on your own... :cry:

Took a break at the end of 2010 and then started to consider the final stage. I wanted to be able to take the Tri across the Simpson with my folks in 2012, so a L/R fuel tank and a fridge were needed.

Did a lot of fridge research before settling on the ARB. It was either the ARB or the Bushman. Happy so far...

Settled on a CTEK 250s Dual for the battery management and charging. Spent a few hours running the cable from the engine bay out to the cab, and tied it all into a 100amp/hr deep-cycle battery and 47ltr ARB fridge on an ARB slide. Very happy with the way this turned out, and got a real buzz out of doing some auto elec work on my own (pun intended).

CTEK is a neat bit of gear. It not only isolates the main battery, but charges/conditions the aux battery rather than relying on the alternator which is hard pressed to do the job properly

With the fridge in, I hit the road and ended up back at Ultimate in Sydney to have some of their stainless braided brake lines fitted. A worthwhile improvement to the pedal feel was the result and even with 32s it's braking better than it ever did stock.

Unfortunately the Long-range tank group buy fell over, so that's a mod for the future, and needed before the Simpson trek, but it's time to rest now.

Except for a front Lokka...that's now a must have... :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) Bloody hell...

I've been a car nut since I knew what a car was, but I've never enjoyed a car more than the Triton. I've had a ball building it up, and though it might be time to stop, there will always be some testing and tweaking to do as time goes on.

This one’s a keeper! A great car, with a great forum to go with it. :D

And fear not, this is a Triton that gets used... :lol:

A Snooozy happy snap from a recent Vic members trip. This was only a mild 4WD outing, but still a lot of fun.
Last edited by Steane on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Steane's 2007 GLX-R Build

Postby SEJ GLX-R on Mon May 16, 2011 5:11 pm

Nice write up there Steane ;)

I think you have one of the best looking Tritons around.

Mrs Sej & I always comment on yours when we see it on the trips, (maybe because it's always cleaner than ours :o )
See my build thread ... HERE
See my shed ............. HERE
SEJ GLX-R

Postby Mooons on Mon May 16, 2011 5:13 pm

Great write up Steane :D
And the triton looks the goods as well ;)
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Mon May 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Yep no doubt about it, that write up and the car, is one of the best on the forum.

nice work. 8-) 8-) 8-)
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joe on Mon May 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Nice work steane. Very nice looking rig 8-) and great write up too :D
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby Homer on Mon May 16, 2011 5:47 pm

Great writeup mate...you could work for a magazine 8-)

And this one and Joe's are two of the most "complete" looking rigs I've seen 8-)

Does that mean that yours looks like LEPG :|
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Joe on Mon May 16, 2011 5:51 pm

Homer wrote:Does that mean that yours looks like LEPG :|

He wishes :lol: :lol:
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby mcraig on Mon May 16, 2011 6:01 pm

Great write up steane, very impressive! Looks like all your hard work has paid off :)
mcraig

Postby tassie_ml on Mon May 16, 2011 6:03 pm

great write up, good onya for taking the time to do it with pics :mrgreen:

nice bus too, almost had me there for a minute wanting a diesel......nice build up :mrgreen:
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Postby mad992 on Mon May 16, 2011 6:25 pm

good work mate, oh and top truck u got goin on 8-)
mad992

Postby Steane on Mon May 16, 2011 6:29 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys! :D

Joe wrote:
Homer wrote:Does that mean that yours looks like LEPG :|

He wishes :lol: :lol:

I can't compete with the LEPG units, they are just too rare and exclusive. The grey ones are everywhere...as you learn when you head off on an NTN trip :lol:

SEJ GLX-R wrote:Nice write up there Steane ;)

Mrs Sej & I always comment on yours when we see it on the trips, (maybe because it's always cleaner than ours :o )

Thanks mate. It only 'looks' clean because I park it next to Salts. It's really an optical illusion. :lol: :lol:
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby daryn on Mon May 16, 2011 6:45 pm

Steane, bloody awesome mate :D
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby reeldreamer on Mon May 16, 2011 7:37 pm

Great looking rig mate enjoyed your write up too! Very well put together ride and some great pics.

Mitch
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby perko on Mon May 16, 2011 8:13 pm

Nice write up Steane ;) benchmark Triton, which proves the strength of the NTN mod addiction! :lol:
"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
perko

Postby salt36 on Mon May 16, 2011 8:23 pm

Now THIS is how you do a buildup thread :!:

Much better than my ongoing saga of :roll: ten or so pages :oops:

Top write up mate, very impressive as is your Triton, one of the cleanest and neatest I have ever seen 8-)

Steane wrote:
SEJ GLX-R wrote:Nice write up there Steane ;)

Thanks mate. It only 'looks' clean because I park it next to Salts. It's really an optical illusion. :lol: :lol:

:lol: Good onya
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Snooozy on Mon May 16, 2011 9:05 pm

good stuff Steane, :)

gives us something to aspire to.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mattz on Tue May 17, 2011 6:00 am

Fantastic write up Steane. I love it when you put finger to keyboard. You have a way with words.
You should be proud of your build up, you have done a top job. This is the best set up vehicle I have laid eyes on and always immaculate too, until you use it for what it was built for.
Now you have almost finished I think you should start a new one :lol: so how much$$$$ do you want for it. :lol:
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby MUD LARK on Tue May 17, 2011 6:13 am

Hey Steane,
Great write up, good story telling with great pics and a beasty looking Triton 8-) 8-) 8-)
Buy some timbers at Bunnings, built a bridge then get over it!!!
MUD LARK

Postby Steane on Tue May 17, 2011 6:38 am

Thanks again everyone. I've had a blast building this Triton, and I can tell you now it wouldn't happen without the NTN forum being around. Can you imagine being forum-less and trying to research what you wanted to do with your build??? How the hell would you do it? :?

It would be like life before mobile phones...a lot more one-dimensional.

A lot of very clever people give their knowledge and ideas for free, so that blokes like me can scoop it up and value-add to our ownership experiences in a big way. It's very 8-) 8-) 8-) , and I'm very grateful.

mattz wrote:Fantastic write up Steane. I love it when you put finger to keyboard. You have a way with words.
You should be proud of your build up, you have done a top job. This is the best set up vehicle I have laid eyes on and always immaculate too, until you use it for what it was built for.
Now you have almost finished I think you should start a new one :lol: so how much$$$$ do you want for it. :lol:

Thanks mate. I can't sell this one...too attached to it. I also need to spend the next 15 years enjoying it to get some value for money :lol: I think there will be a second stage build when it's got a few more years under the belt. Something a bit more radical... 8-)

perko wrote:Nice write up Steane ;) benchmark Triton, which proves the strength of the NTN mod addiction! :lol:

It is an addiction Perko! It's the group buys...you just have to get into them you really do, cos if you don't you'll know you want to buy that part down the track and will get stung for full price. So there is really no choice...is there...(nervous laugh). :lol:

Some of my favourite mods are the simple ones. Joe's arm rest, did3.2's seat spacers. Both very cool.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue May 17, 2011 6:52 am

Nice write-up. Found a couple of hints in there on how to fix some issues I've been considering. Thanks mate, more bloody $$$$. :P :P :P
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Steane on Tue May 17, 2011 7:18 am

Tex wrote:As everyone has said, great write up Steane. You definitely have one of the best looking tritons out there.

How many people in your family? Is the ARB fridge big enough :?:
Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture

Only two of us at the moment Tex, so heaps of room. Fits a bit in it if you pack it carefully, but yeah, a couple of kids added to the equation might make it seem a bit small for extended stays away from civilisation.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ultimate on Tue May 17, 2011 8:47 am

Great write up Steane. One of the best I've seen 8-)
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Tony on Tue May 17, 2011 9:20 am

I'm speechless :o Yet again fantastic write up and attention to detail. I'd also say one of the nicest rigs here.

Your pics are better than most mag journalist too :shock: :roll:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Tue May 17, 2011 9:34 am

Tony wrote:I'm speechless :o Yet again fantastic write up and attention to detail. I'd also say one of the nicest rigs here.

Your pics are better than most mag journalist too :shock: :roll:

Thanks Tony. I can't claim the credit for the pics. I know a chap who knows his way around a camera, and has all of the lenses needed for shooting cars. He is very talented and shoots a lot of pics for car reviews ;)
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Tue May 17, 2011 11:27 am

i have one of those arm rests sitting in my shed...... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Do you have a couple of photos handy of the bottom (underside) where it is fixed and any install tips would you?

obviously the thing must be installed leaning forward (which i didn't like) if it is to stay on top of the standard console lid.

Does it bother you that it is not flat? Good to hear that you like it though.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Member Build Ups