Which rear bar?

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Rear bar

Postby Pirate Dazz on Tue May 01, 2012 6:24 pm

Dan73no wrote:So is the ARB bar lower or higher that the standard mitsu fit? Is there a view for going with the mitsu standard 3 tonne towbar?

Dan, I recently swapped my standard 3 tonne towbar for an ARB towbar. The standard tow bar is way too low and offers no protection. The original bar on standard suspension, sat at 347mm Measured to bottom of hitch receiver. The ARB tow bar now sits at 447mm. An extra 100mm difference. If my trigonometry calcs are correct, standard departure angle of 15 degrees has now been improved to 19 degrees with the ARB tow bar.
Pirate Dazz

Postby Quinny on Tue May 01, 2012 6:36 pm

Sorry - off topic - what is that mountain in the background in your avatar Daz ?
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 61rth on Tue May 01, 2012 6:50 pm

Just grabbing one of my posts from a previous thread.

G'Day All, for any one who is intereested I finally installed me rear bar today for the MN.

below are the measurements I took. This is based on a vehicle with stock suspension and only an increase of 7.5mm in ride height due to larger tyres 255/70/r16,

Standard Mitsubishi rear step tow bar V TJM Rear step tow bar:
lowest point on bar: 335mm V 420mm
Centre of tow hitch receiver from ground: 420mm V 470mm
Departure angle: 10 derees V 22 degrees

hope this helps those of you who like some facts and figures.
Why does everything look like a nail when you have a hammer in your hand?
61rth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Pirate Dazz on Tue May 01, 2012 8:01 pm

Quinny67 wrote:Sorry - off topic - what is that mountain in the background in your avatar Daz ?

Its Mt Coonowrin, part of the Glass House Mountains in Queensland. It's about 1 hours drive north of Brisbane. Well worth a look Quinny, if you haven't been there already. It would be right in your back yard :?:
Pirate Dazz

Postby Thommo3337 on Tue May 01, 2012 9:40 pm

So the tjm is marginally better than the arb for clearance? And price has anyone measured the Mcc jack bar?
A Heroin Addiction Would Have Been Cheaper!!
Thommo3337

Postby snowman on Tue May 01, 2012 10:37 pm

har05l wrote:
snowman wrote:I would argue with cost aside the ARB is currently the best.

Please snowie, what a load of B/S :roll: , are you on there books to spruik there expensive items are you :twisted:

you reckon. i might argue it is missing a bit of protection in the center. you know, not much protection if you backed into a pole or something....... :roll:

i have no affiliation with ARB and i did say if i was handing out the coin i would go TJM. That said, the difference in repairing the tailgate might have got you an ARB mate.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Wed May 02, 2012 6:48 am

Dazz wrote:
Quinny67 wrote:Sorry - off topic - what is that mountain in the background in your avatar Daz ?

Its Mt Coonowrin, part of the Glass House Mountains in Queensland. It's about 1 hours drive north of Brisbane. Well worth a look Quinny, if you haven't been there already. It would be right in your back yard :?:

I can't believe Quinny didn't recognise that...it's in his own backyard :)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Quinny on Wed May 02, 2012 7:25 am

Checked the back yard - Quinny looks right, then left - nope, no dirty big mountain in my back yard ... Maybe I should mow the lawn - could be hiding :)
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby helicoptercow on Wed May 02, 2012 7:53 am

Thommo3337 wrote:So the tjm is marginally better than the arb for clearance? And price has anyone measured the Mcc jack bar?

i haven't heard of any MCC bars on MN's. There are half a dozen though on ML's, myself included.

There are photos of the bar in my build thread (link down below) and there are some measurements burried somewhere in the forum. The MCC does sit higher around the tub, providing better side protection and rear departure, except for the centre where the hitch reciever is, at that point its no better then any other bar on the market. All i was concerned about with respect to hights was the tow ball, and i remember that being only about 10mm higher compaired to an inverted factory ML bar (the GLXR step version). So that probably means there is about 80-100mm extra clearence at the lowest point?

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Wed May 02, 2012 8:32 am

Just sent an email off to MCC requesting some pricing - watch this space ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony81 on Wed May 02, 2012 10:31 am

Fraz91 has an MCC Jack Bar installed on his MN, I suppose you could shoot him a PM to ask heights...
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby helicoptercow on Wed May 02, 2012 10:37 am

Tony81 wrote:Fraz91 has an MCC Jack Bar installed on his MN, I suppose you could shoot him a PM to ask heights...

fraz has an ML tub though, and therefore an ML bar.

The heights i would expect to be the same as the chassis rails are just extended, therefore the only difference between ML and MN measurements are the length of the side bars and a reduced departure angle because of the extra overhang of the tub.

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Wed May 02, 2012 10:39 am

Ok - have some pricing back:

I think this may be a little out dated...
Click to view larger picture

From Trevor at MCC:

"Jack Bar $890
Rocker bar $990
Wheel carrier $1690 this is not a rocker bar it is a 022-02 Rear bar and carrier.
I have stock of rocker Safari hammertone, jack bar black and Wheel carrier black."
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby godzilla_rising on Wed May 02, 2012 10:45 am

If it helps at all, Im getting the ARB Bar for $950...

I dont know how much the TJM Bar is though...
Godzilla Rising

"Kate's Dirty Sister" click here
2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby Quinny on Wed May 02, 2012 2:54 pm

What was the TJM rear bar model for the ML - was it RB4 or RB6... found conflicting details on the TJM website ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Wed May 02, 2012 3:15 pm

helicoptercow wrote:
There are photos of the bar in my build thread (link down below)

Thanks mate - hope you don't mind me dragging a few of your photos across here for reference:

This is the MCC Jack bar correct ?

Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby godzilla_rising on Wed May 02, 2012 3:18 pm

They dont do one anymore. Whilst I did find an old TJM catalogue for the ML, after talking to them they informed me that they pulled it for some design changes...and then it just fell by the wayside.

When ARB were telling me about why my rear bar order was stuffed up, they said that worldwide, orders pertaining to Tritons were in the 30-40s, whereas Hiluxes were in the 1000's. Everything goes to the demand.

As the ML is now an older model, why bring something back when there isnt THAT much of a demand (except on here of course!!)
Godzilla Rising

"Kate's Dirty Sister" click here
2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby Quinny on Wed May 02, 2012 3:33 pm

godzilla_rising wrote:They dont do one anymore. Whilst I did find an old TJM catalogue for the ML, after talking to them they informed me that they pulled it for some design changes...and then it just fell by the wayside.

When ARB were telling me about why my rear bar order was stuffed up, they said that worldwide, orders pertaining to Tritons were in the 30-40s, whereas Hiluxes were in the 1000's. Everything goes to the demand.

As the ML is now an older model, why bring something back when there isnt THAT much of a demand (except on here of course!!)

Thanks mate -

I asked if TJM head office if they would do a run of 10 for the ML - waiting to hear back - not expecting much though ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Wed May 02, 2012 3:52 pm

...and here's the Kaymar - around $3500 ...

Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony81 on Wed May 02, 2012 4:00 pm

It seems to me that the difference between the MCC Wheel Carrier Bar & the Kaymar Bar is:-

Kaymar - Intergrated tow bar rated at 3tonne
- Has side protection similar to the Jack Bar
- Will Only carry up to 32" tyres

MCC Wheel Carrier - NO Integrated Tow Bar
- NO side Protection
- Will carry up to 35"tyres

Don't get me wrong I'm not bagging the MCC BAr and Holy Crap the Kaymar Bar is expensive.

Just thought i would point out some differences
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Wed May 02, 2012 4:07 pm

Tony81 wrote:

Mate - what do mean no integrated tow bar ? - not taking the piss, just don't understand :oops:
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Wed May 02, 2012 4:30 pm

Quinny67 wrote:
Tony81 wrote:

Mate - what do mean no integrated tow bar ? - not taking the piss, just don't understand :oops:

I'm sure he means that you have to buy a seperate tow bar, i.e a GL R one as there is no tow bar intergrated into the design.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Quinny on Wed May 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Ahhh - ok - sorry ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed May 02, 2012 5:00 pm

But doesn't the photo and the text up the top of that bar show a tow bar and talk about a tow bar?

I also wasn't aware the kaymar had any side protection?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Quinny on Wed May 02, 2012 5:50 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:But doesn't the photo and the text up the top of that bar show a tow bar and talk about a tow bar?

I also wasn't aware the kaymar had any side protection?

That's what confussed me ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods