New rules for vehicle modification in NSW

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

New rules for vehicle modification in NSW

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:25 pm

With thanks to Siwren who posted a link in the tyre standards thread, we discover that there is a new version of VSI 6 in NSW released on 8 November 2013. There is a new order published in the gazette bringing it into effect.

Points worth reviewing are that it mentions bullbars, suspension and body lifts, steering components, wheels, tyres, aftermarket seats, exhausts, engine modifications and a large variety of other vehicle mods. Some are possible with certification and others don't require certification.

For tyres for example the new rule appears to be that you can increase the tyre size provided that the diameter does not increase by more than 7%. I haven't done the calculation on what that means for our Tritons - in fact it would be safer if someone else did anything resembling maths, as I'm a bit ordinary with that sort of stuff.

There is also a method for calculating suspension lifts based on OEM suspension travel - I expect we will need Brendan to interpret that for us.

So, I'm going to attach a couple of PDFs. The order itself, a FAQ document and then the actual VSI document, assuming the site will allow that many PDFs in one hit. If you are only going to read one of them - my recommendation would be the VSI itself as that has the most information in it.

Please try to keep posts in this thread on topic and relevant. Other comments will be moderated out in the hope that we can keep this thread full of useful information, comment and discussion about what the new rules mean for us.

Order from gazette.pdf

FAQ doc re new order.pdf

vsi6.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Re: New rules for vehicle modification in NSW

Postby 1tuff_triton on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:32 pm

I read through it the other week at work, it doesn't look as bad as it could, there was a lot of talk that they were going to go hard on mods but this looks fairly relaxed and it is pretty easy to read and work out what you can do with getting it inspected
It's not Tough unless it's TUFF
1tuff_triton

Postby macca002 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:39 pm

I think the tyre size should be fine, as going from 245/75 R16 to 265/75 R16 is 'just' under the 7% margin - I could be wrong though as I am doing the sums in my head.

Looks like engineers are going to make a killing. Most of the time for things like 2" lift or 2" bodylift they spend about 5mins looking at it, then 10mins doing up the paperwork. They will still charge you for the plate though.

How much is a mod plate in NSW? When I lived in QLD it cost me $85 for engine swap (350 to 454)/seats/tyres going back about 5 or so years now though.
Last edited by macca002 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macca002

Postby Calblitzen on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:43 pm

As far as percentage for tyre size. Standard 245/70R16=749mm vs 32" 265/75R16=840.4mm. Therefore giving a percentage difference of 7.34%.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:44 pm

I think the cost depends on the engineer and the amount of work required. There is an interesting comment in the steering bit I think it was where you can't go fabricating bits without certification but you can fit aftermarket parts. I can see that getting tested with UCAs for example, if they qualify as part of the steering setup.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:55 pm

Standard for the 17 inch is as below with comparison to the popular size of 265/70/17

tyre difference for MN.JPG

Strictly speaking the 265/70 would be outside spec but you could get away with the 265/65/17.

Having said that the difference is so marginal that different brands of tyres might get you within the 7% if they did it from an actual measurement rather than just based on the marked sizes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Calblitzen on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:04 pm

Did an engine swap 18 months ago and I'm sure the engineers certificate cost about $700.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby SteveR on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:24 pm

So 285's are done and dusted then..... id hate to see how many peoples people's insurance is voided over tyres being too big :shock:
SteveR

Postby DocBassett on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:22 pm

285s were done and dusted anyway. Lol they had no chance of being ok. :lol:
DocBassett

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:42 pm

As I read it though they are permitted if you get them certified.

Cowboy Dave

Postby DocBassett on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:46 pm

Thats good news dave. I wonder what the WA laws are and if we will ever adopt similar laws. Unlikely. It might fade our curtains and the chickens wont lay just like that daylight savings thing we are al so scared of.
DocBassett

Postby ultimate on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:19 am

There is also a method for calculating suspension lifts based on OEM suspension travel - I expect we will need Brendan to interpret that for us.

This document leaves a lot to interpretation. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of amendments are made. For example, I believe the suspension section need to be the same as what's stated in the NCOP.

VSI-6 "Altering vehicle ride height by more than one third of the manufacturer’s suspension travel in the direction of the ride height change."

NCOP11 VSB14 "Lowering and raising suspensions (by not more than one third of the original
suspension travel provided the original vehicle height is not increased or decreased by
more than 50mm
)

Personally I believe the VSI-6 should also state maximum lift as 50mm without engineering.

The reference to "one third of manufacturer's suspension travel" has always been in the law. A typical measurement for travel on a four wheel drive is 150mm. On third of this is 50mm which became the precedent for 50mm lift kits. Some vehicles now run more travel which under the new VSI allows more lift. This can be very dangerous as a lot of vehicles can not be raised more than 50mm without major modifications to the steering, alignment and drive train.

For example, the new Nissan Y62 (Independent suspension all-round) has the following travel specs-

Front- 210mm travel
Rear- 245mm travel

This means under the new release, you can raise the front 70mm above standard and the rear 81.6mm without an engineer's certificate. From our R&D on the vehicle, 50mm is the maximum safe lift due to a number of factors like CV angles and loading on ball joints.

The Triton has 175mm travel in the front so technically you are allowed 58.3mm lift. This is where interpretation becomes dangerous. If some one was to raise a new triton with the higher front coils 58.3mm, they would be "legal" but sitting at around 610 which is too high without further modification.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:55 am

Thanks Brendan that's useful information to have. There's always going to be room for a difference between what's practical and what's actually legal etc. I think we've seen that with people able to achieve more than 50mm on the triton but then start sustaining damage as a result.

What do you think about the steering modification example where they seem to permit fitment of aftermarket bits provided there's no custom fabrication work being done?

I could be misinterpreting it but it seemed to me that they were opening the door to fitting things like aftermarket upper and lower control arms without certification. I guess from what you've said above there wouldn't be much point to it since 58.3mm is the limit for the lift anyway but it seems to me that if the limit for mods that don't require certification is set at that point, then getting certification on a modification that is quite close to that point should in theory be easier? A 3 inch lift for example is only 17mm away from the new limit.

Not sure if what I mean is clear there so I'll try an example. Using tyres say, if the standard is 245/65/17 and you're allowed up to 265/65/17 without certification then getting an engineer to certify 265/70/17 should be a piece of cake. If you were stuck with the OEM spec as the limit then it would be harder to get 265/70/17 approved because the engineer has to go further out of his comfort zone if you get what I mean.

Cowboy Dave

Postby ultimate on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:34 am

Yeah I am waiting for clarification on the steering modifications. I read it the same as you and believe it allows for control arms and spindles to be replaced with out engineering. It's always been a bit of grey area so hopefully this VSI opens it up a bit.

I wouldn't be surprised if the RTA's interpretation is-

Examples requiring certification: Modification of steering system with fabricated components.
Aftermarket components like Lift Align Control arms or supaloy parts as they have been "fabricated" e.g. http://www.superpro.com.au/supaloy-vag-vw-alloy-arm

Examples not requiring certification:
Replacement of vehicle’s steering components with aftermarket components designed for the same make and model.
Direct replacement steering components like ball joints, idler arms, re-manufactured control arms and steering racks which have been mass produced for the specific vehicle and application.

Hopefully not though as I want to be able to fit control arms without engineering :lol:
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby SteveR on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:53 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:As I read it though they are permitted if you get them certified.

Are you talking about the tyres Dave? CB Dave? I have 265 on mine currently but id like to go up a size when my current muddies run out. Id be happy to pay to have them certified if required in the ACT.
SteveR

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:58 am

Mate this whole thread is about NSW so I wouldn't know what the story is in the ACT.

Cowboy Dave

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:03 pm

See tricky devil, he was able to get 33" tyres certified legal in NSW on a triton
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:26 pm

The ACT has its' own legislation but generally follows NSW. In other words, if it isn't in place here now, it will be soon.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby BillMcQuade on Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:07 am

Having built a number of modified vehicles. I was surprised that the rules weren't tougher. I have always engineered my conversions, and although sometimes it is a PITA to get certain mods through, it was good to be able to prove that the vehicle was 100% legal.

In conversation with my usual engineering signatory, we were discussing the impending clampdown a few months ago. There are a large number of highly (and sometimes dangerously) modified vehicles on the road, that have not been engineered (we've all seen some of the junk out there!). In addition, there was a certain signatory that was taking $$$ to pass absolute rubbish, usually unseen. The police and RTA have been very vocal in getting the rules changed, and I suspect that if they had been able to, they would have been a lot tougher. Fortunately for us, political pressure prevented a total modification ban.

I'm happy with the current rules; there is plenty of scope for modification, and some of the grey areas have been cleaned up. There is still further work to go, especially in light of the comments made by Brendan. My area of expertise is engine/driveline swaps/mods, and the new rules have tidied up some of the inconsistencies, especially related to engine size, forced induction and chassis modifications.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MPGGLX-R on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:42 am

Hi Dave

Sorry mate I can't find anything through it on bulbars. The reason I bring this up is a recently had a "roadside debate" with a NSW Police Officer who persisted in telling me that "bumperettes" are not part of the bulbar and that driving lights should not sit outside of the bulbar. Mine sit between the bulbar and bumperettes. I got given the usual "if you hit a pedestrian" speech, but he didn't have a comeback when I asked him "would you rather hit the driving lights that will break and give way OR hit the bulbar that will break you in two and not give way?"

I always thought that if the bulbar had bumperettes that these were part of the bulbar???
2012 MN GLX-R Triton
2012 RG LTZ Colorado
2012 TF LSU D-Max
MPGGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Perrett on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:05 pm

Will have to double check on what it now says but I know in relation to tyre changes it was all in relation to rolling diameter. All the guys driving the lancers and supras used to get looked at a lot when they went up to 22's but because they put lower profile tyres on it was permitted. I have a spreadsheet at work so you can work it out easily. I'll try and post it when I'm back.
Perrett

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:22 pm

I reckon they're right on the bumperettes mate but I've got nothing much to back that up. I guess I always figured it had to be behind the leading edge of the steel.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vib_05_-_protrusions_on_the_front_of_vehicles_nov_2007.pdf

and

22. What are the exact rules for bull bars and where can people find out?

Clause 25 of Schedule 2 of the Regulation requires that, if the vehicle was manufactured after
1 January 2003, bull bars and other vehicle frontal protection systems fitted to the vehicle must
comply with the Australian Standard AS 4876.1–2002 Motor vehicle frontal protection systems—Road
user protection.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Perrett on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:34 pm

Your right Dave, you can't have anything that protrudes forward of the bullbar. As long as the bullbar complies with Australian Standards it is alright. Its the extra accessories that are added to the bullbars that are the concern such as rod holders and aerial mounts. Part of the argument is that if you hit a pedestrian it is to minimise the injuries. So you can't have any sharp edges or items that may cut.
Perrett

Postby trouble on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:23 pm

Yep, even your winch rollers are illegal if they protrude. This includes driving lights as well.
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:26 pm

So, define protrude, trouble. How would you fit a set of driving lights that don't protrude?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Next

Return to Exterior Mods