New rules for vehicle modification in NSW

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: New rules for vehicle modification in NSW

Postby siwren on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:10 pm

If I was an automotive engineer, I'd be rubbing my hands together in glee with the changes that now in place.

Going through the document again, so much of the modifed car scene is affected. eg:

Camshaft Changes
Diff Ratio Changes
Carby Changes
Old School stuff like 9 inch diff installs

Most people do these things one at a time, and if the certification process costs say $700 a go, then its going to get expensive. People will most likely have to make all the changes in one hit to keep the costs down.

However, I feel that this is a good thing really as a lot of crap cars are going to have to be made safe. Plus we'll probably see a lot more certifiers available and products that a ADR compliant out of the box.

The downside is that things are going to be more expensive :(
Simon

See my Triton build: Si's Tri
My Shed
siwren

Postby trouble on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:14 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:So, define protrude, trouble. How would you fit a set of driving lights that don't protrude?

Anything past the front of the bumper.
I agree with you 5th, I have no idea how else to fit them.
My winch rollers also protrude!
Would be really really unlucky or a smart arse to receive a defect or a ticket.
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:43 pm

On my bar the winch bit is recessed enough that the fairlead etc don't protrude. Driving lights might protrude from the horizontal but keeping them back from the vertical line you'd draw from the very front of the bar is not so hard.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby MPGGLX-R on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:55 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I reckon they're right on the bumperettes mate but I've got nothing much to back that up. I guess I always figured it had to be behind the leading edge of the steel.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vib_05_-_protrusions_on_the_front_of_vehicles_nov_2007.pdf

and

22. What are the exact rules for bull bars and where can people find out?

Clause 25 of Schedule 2 of the Regulation requires that, if the vehicle was manufactured after
1 January 2003, bull bars and other vehicle frontal protection systems fitted to the vehicle must
comply with the Australian Standard AS 4876.1–2002 Motor vehicle frontal protection systems—Road
user protection.

Hi mate certainly see your point

My arguement here is say for instance I've purchased a TJM bulbar that has passed ADR testing with bumperettes on it. It's sold by TJM with bumperettes, it's fitted by a TJM dealership to your vehicle. One can only assume that the bumperettes play a part of the frontal protection system hence why it was ADR's with them on.

My train of thinking is the bumperettes are still the bulbar, so as long as any of my bulbar mounted accessories are fitted behind the bumperettes this should be legal.

I looked very closely at the wording on the NSW RTA Fact Sheet you posted up, and I did notice with particular interest the following wording;-

Also of concern are bull bars that have sharp edges and pointed corners or bull bars fitted with accessory
attachments such as fishing rod holders, lights and mounting brackets for such fittings, and any fittings that affect the
field of view of the driver.

Now, if you look further down on the same fact sheet and see where it says "Reasons for rejection". Then read down where it says;-

Minor protrusions
forward of the bull bar or bumper bar such
as a spotlight, or fairleads required for the
operation of a winch, are permitted
providing the protrusion is the minimum
necessary and is blunt or protected to
minimise any risk of injury to vulnerable
road users

Rather contradictory isn't it :)
Last edited by MPGGLX-R on Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 MN GLX-R Triton
2012 RG LTZ Colorado
2012 TF LSU D-Max
MPGGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MPGGLX-R on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:59 pm

Mind you, this will rule out the fitting of any driving light basically bigger than 180mm in diameter to a bulbar so out go LF 240's, Frylyt, Narava 225's etc.

Why is it I must take responsibility for other peoples actions, when I learnt at 5yrs old as a pedestrian look right, look left and then right again before crossing the road :roll:
2012 MN GLX-R Triton
2012 RG LTZ Colorado
2012 TF LSU D-Max
MPGGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:17 pm

trouble wrote:
NowForThe5th wrote:So, define protrude, trouble. How would you fit a set of driving lights that don't protrude?

Anything past the front of the bumper.
I agree with you 5th, I have no idea how else to fit them.
My winch rollers also protrude!
Would be really really unlucky or a smart arse to receive a defect or a ticket.

Ta mate. My concern was that "protrude" might have meant outside of the horizontal line between the uprights but if the front of the bar is the line then most of us are probably ok. I guess that one could argue that the flat front of a driving light doesn't present a danger to pedestrians, that under impact they will rotate back and that the protrusion is "minor" as MPGGLX-R pointed out. Lights on top of the hoops though, would definitely be a no-no.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:52 pm

Yeah top of hoops not good. Query the LED bars up there too? Those hooks people hang off the front of the xrox bars would be suss too I reckon.

I haven't tried different bars, but on the OL post bar that I have there is plenty of room for big lights without hanging them out beyond the front.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby trouble on Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:53 pm

This info comes from a very senior RMS officer who gave a lecture on defects a few months back,
I popped up straight away and asked the questions about lights and winches etc etc.
Giving the answer about smart arses!
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby MPGGLX-R on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:09 pm

trouble wrote:This info comes from a very senior RMS officer who gave a lecture on defects a few months back,
I popped up straight away and asked the questions about lights and winches etc etc.
Giving the answer about smart arses!

I wish I came across you instead of the one ruthless HP guy we have here. I was pulled up 3 times in the space of 4hrs in uniform in the same fully marked security vehicle for RBT when you had that blitz 2 weeks ago. I don't even drink! Every time asked for drivers licence too. I'm no smart ass, no point NSW Police rule the streets of NSW end of story but in this area this guy deserves the rank of Hitler!

My driving lights are a whisker outside the bulbar, but well and truly behind the bumperettes, nice and flat with covers on and no sharp edges or brackets either.
2012 MN GLX-R Triton
2012 RG LTZ Colorado
2012 TF LSU D-Max
MPGGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby trouble on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:13 pm

Don't tar all with the same brush!!
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby MPGGLX-R on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:41 pm

trouble wrote:Don't tar all with the same brush!!

I don't hence the reason why I said I wish we had you in my area :). At least you explain things sensibly and talk to people like they are human beings instead of being spoken down to. Lots of good Police out there, unfortunately our local HP doesn't fit that bill, and when the GD guys tell you "don't worry he's a #&%$", you know he must be bad.
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Censored. That was too close.
2012 MN GLX-R Triton
2012 RG LTZ Colorado
2012 TF LSU D-Max
MPGGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Calblitzen on Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:44 pm

I have Narva 225's on a ARB bar and I know they don't protrude as I have to touch park against the bench to get the truck to fit in the garage.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Previous

Return to Exterior Mods