Recovery points

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Recovery points

Postby poppins122325 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:26 am

Had to do a snatch recovery last night of a frontera stuck up to the frame in mud. With only a 8t strap and not a lot of options (rising water and passengers) I reluctantly pulled it out with the hook setup on the front from the tow hitch on theirs every pull (only needed 3 to get it approx 20m and well and truly out of harms way ) I was wishing that there were more solid recovery points on the Triton, Just only wish I had the know how to help get some in the works. :?

Although im still trying to figure out how he ever thought he would make it across a drain-way in the first place, hopefully a lesson learned there. ;)
2012 MN GLXR
poppins122325

Postby the d on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:22 pm

Ok so has anyone made a front bolt on recovery point yet?
the d

Postby har05l on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:49 pm

I looked at getting this sorted years ago :oops: by a local fabricator and even got picks from various bullbars.

I will have to find time to try again and see what can be done :roll:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:58 pm

There was a post somewhere showing some. Might even have been a forum sponsor. I think they might have been yellow? They looked like they'd take a bit of work to install, there was a lot of drilling required from memory. A forum member went and got some and reported back that he'd fitted them but it hadn't been easy. I haven't the time to go and search for it at 1am on a school night but someone else may turn it up for you.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby the d on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:11 pm

I will look over the weekend how to make some fit onto the chassis rather than a bull bar.
the d

Postby har05l on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:25 pm

Only because I'm at work sitting watching the machine tick over did I find the time CD ;)

And I'd hate to see you late for school also :twisted: :lol:

Supplied by forum sponsor but they haven't been on here since August last year :oops:

dinos4x4 wrote:I have fitted my new recovery points from Ultimate 4wd Accessories here in Perth.\
\
Very happy with the result \
\
\
Fitting is very fiddly, they pick up one original hole and 2 new one have to be drilled in the chassis\
The nuts are welded to some steel flat bar and they are fed down into the chassis with flexible wire so you can line them up with the 12mm high tensile bolts.\
\
here are some pics\
Click to view larger picture\
Click to view larger picture\
Click to view larger picture

Link to thread I got the above from viewtopic.php?f=85&t=13335&hilit=Recovery+points

And from the words of the forum sponsor
Ultimate4WD wrote:Fitting requires 2 holes to be drilled in the chasis, one at the front and one underneath, and nutserts need to be fitted. Auto models require a 300mm drill bit to do the job successfully due to position of the trans cooler. It is a very fiddly job and takes around 2-3 hours, due to the end-use we prefer to fit ourselves. No responsibility accepted if we don't fit ourselves of course. Point to note: Manufacturers will only offer this type of product as a Towing Point rather than a Recovery Point due to the liability involved - so these are sold as Towing Points.

Fitment has been successful with the standard Mitsubishi alloy bar and the ARB bar - all others unknown.

Here's a photo
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:12 am

Thanks Ken. I always was a poor student...

Cowboy Dave

Postby mitzikatzi on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:24 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Okay, taking a deep breath here before posting again.

There have been various posts during my time on this forum about recovery points. The broadly accepted consensus seems to be that:

* On the front one can tow from the hook on the passenger side with care (I've not heard of any breaking to date)
* The closed loop on the driver's side is less robust
* Use of a bridle or equaliser strap across the two front points might be acceptable (query this a little - I think I'd be game but the jury is still out from what I can tell)
* Some front bars (eg xrox) have rated points built into them
* Non tow bar equipped models can be fitted with OEM tow hooks which bolt to the rear of the chassis rails and are fitted to some of the lower spec models in the range
* Tow bar equipped models can use a recovery hitch
* ARB rear bars are fitted with 2 closed loops but also with stickers warning that they are not to be used for recovery purposes
...SNIP...some more stuff...

Even though this is 2011 this all seems to still be the current situation?

What size equalizer strap is recommended?
I note the ARB recovery point is still in the future.
Are the above "tow" points from the Perth company a good option? Is there a strong reason not to use them? My limited search skills can't find any other recovery points for a Triton (front).
I have thought of the XROX bar with added recovery points but comments on here suggest it might not meet all ADR's (just Air bag).
I am not seeing any Bullbars with recovery points.
mitzikatzi

Postby fridgie on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:50 pm

Pretty sure TJM have incorporated them into their bars now
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Recovery points

Postby biggibbo on Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:20 pm

My TJM outback bar has recovery points built in
biggibbo

Postby mitzikatzi on Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:38 pm

Recovery points for high lift jacks or towing/snatching?

TJM Steel Bull Bars Features of the Steel Bar
mitzikatzi

Recovery points

Postby biggibbo on Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:26 pm

Mine (T13) has all of the above
biggibbo

Postby mitzikatzi on Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:09 am

mitzikatzi

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:05 pm

Interesting. Did you have to drill or is this not your vehicle?

And where and how much? A few xrox owners out there.

How do you reckon you'd go with that in terms of the ADRs about not protruding forward of the leading edge of the bar?

Cowboy Dave

Postby DocBassett on Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:16 pm

What are your guys thoughts about recovering off the bullbar?? My bar has 2 points incorporated into it.... they seem sturdy. My concern would be displacing the bar itself. I've seen the horror stories where a bar gets ripped from the car.
DocBassett

Postby har05l on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:12 pm

Personally I wouldn't snatch of the bar and as cd said protruding from the bar is a big no no in NSW. You'd at least paint them black so they didn't stick out like doggies.
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mitzikatzi on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:13 pm

No idea Cowboy Dave. I just saw it on Buds Customs FB page.
mitzikatzi

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:33 pm

It's an X-Rox. Doesn't comply anyway. What difference will a couple of kidney catchers make?

DocBassett wrote:What are your guys thoughts about recovering off the bullbar?? My bar has 2 points incorporated into it.... they seem sturdy. My concern would be displacing the bar itself. I've seen the horror stories where a bar gets ripped from the car.

Unless the bar manufacturer specifies them as recovery points I wouldn't. Certainly not snatching anyway. Maybe winching with an equaliser strap would be ok.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:51 pm

Tjm in Penrith has told me to use the factory point because they have a 9500lb rating and anymore then that load will bend the chassis. Same as going for a bigger winch than 9500lb and strongly advised me against going bigger.

Thoughts on this?

The buds customs xrox ones would be good but a small pain to put on/take off once you hit the tracks..I assume off road purpose only. Wouldn't drive around with them protruding like that.
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:04 pm

Agree with the winch load thing but only because ARB have rated their bar at that limit, other bars may be different
The chassis and hook have no rating and no manufacturer will give a recovery rating due to liability (I know as our mining company and others have tried)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby DocBassett on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:24 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:It's an X-Rox. Doesn't comply anyway. What difference will a couple of kidney catchers make?

DocBassett wrote:What are your guys thoughts about recovering off the bullbar?? My bar has 2 points incorporated into it.... they seem sturdy. My concern would be displacing the bar itself. I've seen the horror stories where a bar gets ripped from the car.

Unless the bar manufacturer specifies them as recovery points I wouldn't. Certainly not snatching anyway. Maybe winching with an equaliser strap would be ok.

Pretty sure they were specified as recovery points, although as expected no rating on them and when asked, was told the old "I wouldn't" scenario to avoid liability.
DocBassett

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:04 pm

I went and had a play in Ripley not too long ago. My mate took his GU patrol and got stuck on a hill climb on his chassis rails. I was up top and with no tow bar I had to snatch him him up with the front recovery point on my triton. I used the open hook one as its a little thicker and looks stronger. In hind sight i should of equalized them together. After a few tries to snatch him up I had to give it a bit of a pull and it bent the recovery point. Didn't break but bent a fair bit. Anyone else had this happen? On a plus note I then tried the same climb and made it up without too much fuss. Another patrol owner upset! :D
chrisdoherty87

Postby har05l on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:08 pm

Your right Chris, you should've equalised the strap tugging a bit fat patrol :lol:

I think fridgie may have bent his out some years ago :?
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fridgie on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:20 pm

Yep, mines not a hook anymore, it's a kinda 's' shape :lol: :lol:

I haven't worried about it, have done some drag outs on the hoop but no real snatching from memory but I also have a winch ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:04 pm

Yeah Haha mine is more of an s shape now. What are people doing for rear recovery point with no aftermarket bar or tow bar? I'd rather not keep snatching people in reverse. Is there anything that bolts up?
chrisdoherty87

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods