Blocked inlet manifold

Anything specific to the Mitsubishi Challenger goes here!

Blocked inlet manifold

Postby murwullambah on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:34 pm

On the subject of the inlet manifold problem, has anyone attempted to clean it out themselves. My recently aquired challenger is out of warranty and just wondered how hard it is to do DIY
murwullambah

Re: Blocked inlet manifold

Postby L200Shogun on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:39 pm

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13181

MN version floating around too.
L200Shogun

Postby Tomola on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:01 pm

Geez that's some serious blockage, is that common on the latest 2.5L motors as well??
'14 Challenger, custom dyno tuned with LPG injection, MRR lift, arb bar, kaymar rear bar, warn 12k, DCS Lithium dual batteries, 120W solar panel & reg, underbody armour, airtek snorkel, 135L Aux tank, rear poly airs, F&R diff lockers
Tomola

Postby nealh82 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:03 pm

Common on all CRD engines with an egr system i think
nealh82

Postby Sandytriton09 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:26 pm

Yeah I have taken off and cleaned the intake manifold completely. I'd say you need to have at least some mechanical experience to try, you need to take off the egr valve, the exhaust manifold and the fuel rail. If you are going to do it, get a high pressure water cleaner and a good solvent (I used a manifold cleaner from super cheap that was pretty good, used about 3 cans). Total job took about 4 hours, but I was doing it with a mate who is a qualified mechanic. There is a thread on this forum with the complete step by step instructions on how to do it. read that first, that's for a triton but the challenger has the same engine yeah?
Sandytriton09

Postby Tomola on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:31 am

Thanks for further info. How many kms did the motor have on it when you pulled it apart for the clean?

I've been running LPG injection since new so given the cleaner burn I'm hoping there should be much less build up of carbon in the intake manifold over time. I'll be looking at doing this around the 150,000km mark along with new injectors.
'14 Challenger, custom dyno tuned with LPG injection, MRR lift, arb bar, kaymar rear bar, warn 12k, DCS Lithium dual batteries, 120W solar panel & reg, underbody armour, airtek snorkel, 135L Aux tank, rear poly airs, F&R diff lockers
Tomola

Postby Willg on Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:01 pm

Wurths do a diesel intake cleaner, spray in via intake after the intercooler while engine running. I haven't personally tried it but my brother inlaw who has his own diesel business runs it through his work Tritons, recons you can notice a difference in performance and fuel economy.
Willg

Postby grox on Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:12 pm

After doing a few 3.2 engines I can't imagine any intake cleaner removing anything more than a quarter of the baked on crap that accumulates. It's really unbelievable such a system is passed as ok. Yay an engine trying to breath its own waste . Anyway that's what we have to live with. What I have found after cleaning 4 rural driven tritons is that by around 140 thousand ks and 180 thousand it's really blocked. After clean and blocking of egr by resistor car will return about 1 to 1.5 l per hundred better fuel consumption and the driver and engine will both have a smile.
grox

Return to Challenger Club