Recovery points wont fit MN with Ironman bullbar

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Recovery points wont fit MN with Ironman bullbar

Postby tritonglxr2012 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi,
Guys I'm looking for some feedback around recovery points I had my 2.5 Inch lift installed by Ironman last week and while they were at it I asked them to install two recovery points. When I went to pick the car up the sales rep advised me that they could not install the recovery points due to how the Ironman bull bars are mounted to the Chassis there isnt room to mount the points. Has anyone else had this issue? and if so are there any other options to upgrade or am i stuck with the crap factory points?
tritonglxr2012

Re: Recovery points wont fit MN with Ironman bullbar

Postby Geoff3DMN on Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:30 am

Yes I had the same issue when I ordered some recovery points to be fitted to my MN.

I was told that the mounting for the Ironman bar extends back along the chassis and over the mounting point for the recovery points. I was also told it was not possible to modify the bar for use with the recovery points without seriously weakening the bar mounting.

The only offered 'solution' was to replace the bar with a bar of a different type so at this point I'm still without front recovery points.
Geoff3DMN
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 98kellrs on Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:48 am

Yeah that was the main reason I eventually chose not to get the Ironman bar, I paid a little more and got a TJM outback which comes with rated recovery points built in.
98kellrs

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:18 am

There is probably a lesson here in fully researching a purchase before committing to it. Certainly there are documented instances of this and related issues on this forum, easily found with a simple search.

That said, the perceived need to have "rated" recovery points is a nonsense. The Triton comes with factory fitted tow points which have been tested for recovery and found to be more than adequate - provided proper procedures and techniques are used.

At this point the best advice i could give to OP would be to invest in some training (club or otherwise) to learn how to use the tow points fitted to the vehicle.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Geoff3DMN on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:57 am

NowForThe5th wrote:The Triton comes with factory fitted tow points which have been tested for recovery and found to be more than adequate - provided proper procedures and techniques are used.

Oh yeah I know, I've had to use them a few times but that's not the reason I wanted the after market ones.

I just think the bright red recovery points look good :lol:
Geoff3DMN
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Merts on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:04 am

Geoff3DMN wrote:I just think the bright red recovery points look good :lol:

Paint the factory ones. :)
In all seriousness, that's what I did. Not for looks, but so that anyone hooking a snatch strap up can easily identify them.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tritonglxr2012 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:31 pm

Cool, Thanks heaps for the feedback guys! I guess you get what you pay for in some respects to this gear and a little more research before i bought it would have helped. Not to worry its a learning experience for the next mod.
Thanks again.
tritonglxr2012

Return to General Discussion