Egr blanking plate in mq???

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Re: Egr blanking plate in mq???

Postby trtkjd1 on Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:04 pm

Andalect Thanks for that and now makes sense to me. Normally when cold engine receives full egr gasses turning it into an athsmatic . However disconnecting the vacume redirects what ever the ecu deems nessasary all through the cooler. Which has a greater resistance than normal and a lot cooler air temp. Hence my noticeable increase in power. However I'm still pouring soot and nasties into my engine. So have now refitted the blanking plate with 8mm hole and leaving the vacume off as this has a greater resistance path and should leave less nasties entering the engine until the electronic full off becomes available . Hopefully will still have no fault codes come up with this setup.
trtkjd1

Postby explorer.dave on Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:02 am

trtkjd1 wrote:Andalect Thanks for that and now makes sense to me. Normally when cold engine receives full egr gasses turning it into an athsmatic . However disconnecting the vacume redirects what ever the ecu deems nessasary all through the cooler. Which has a greater resistance than normal and a lot cooler air temp. Hence my noticeable increase in power. However I'm still pouring soot and nasties into my engine. So have now refitted the blanking plate with 8mm hole and leaving the vacume off as this has a greater resistance path and should leave less nasties entering the engine until the electronic full off becomes available . Hopefully will still have no fault codes come up with this setup.

It is available! As stated on a post from Tony on the previous page. :?
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Josephcullen on Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:20 pm

explorer.dave wrote:
trtkjd1 wrote:Andalect Thanks for that and now makes sense to me. Normally when cold engine receives full egr gasses turning it into an athsmatic . However disconnecting the vacume redirects what ever the ecu deems nessasary all through the cooler. Which has a greater resistance than normal and a lot cooler air temp. Hence my noticeable increase in power. However I'm still pouring soot and nasties into my engine. So have now refitted the blanking plate with 8mm hole and leaving the vacume off as this has a greater resistance path and should leave less nasties entering the engine until the electronic full off becomes available . Hopefully will still have no fault codes come up with this setup.

It is available! As stated on a post from Tony on the previous page. :?

If it's available where is it? I've tried to get in contact numerous times and seems it isn't yet available from these guys... Very keen to get my hands on a module from these fullas but proving hard.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Josephcullen

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:40 pm

Just email tony@spvindustries.com and wait for a reply. It may take a while as their email goes via satellite. There is a backup email of production4spvi@gmail.com if you're having no joy with the original email address.

I gather their email server is a bit selective about letting emails through so that can create issues too.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Josephcullen on Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:50 pm

Thanks Cowboy Dave, will get onto it now.
Josephcullen

Postby Machine48 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:03 pm

This the same one being sold on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/142114035370 ... EBIDX%3AIT
Machine48

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:16 pm

No, that's the one also known as Munji aka Crisp mods.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Josephcullen on Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:17 pm

Anyone had any luck with these eBay crisp mods??

Josephcullen

Postby Machine48 on Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:40 pm

i have purchased one and 2 weeks later still waiting; was supposed to be delivered on the 25th
Machine48

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:06 am

Machine48 wrote:i have purchased one and 2 weeks later still waiting; was supposed to be delivered on the 25th

Apparently, he has received a surge of orders, for all the different ones he makes. I was lucky, and got an Isuzu one from him whilst he still had the stock.

Like SVPi, this is more of a side gig for him, as he runs a pretty popular workshop, so he is playing catch-up.

He was unprepared for the power of the posts on NTN :lol:
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greytriton on Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:58 am

Ive received the Crisp mod cable, Its currently installed.

1. Working well and i have no function of EGR as observed on the scan-gauge

2. First drive last night, A bit peeved as i note a boost reduction of aprox 2-3 psi and boost seems to taper off quicker. I will go for a test later today and confirm if this is the case. Honestly im not sure if i feel any reduction in performance though, If there was no gauge installed you wouldn't know.

I'm going to investigate further and also Analise the unit with the multi meter later today.
Greytriton

Postby Josephcullen on Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:11 am

Greytriton wrote:Ive received the Crisp mod cable, Its currently installed.

1. Working well and i have no function of EGR as observed on the scan-gauge

2. First drive last night, A bit peeved as i note a boost reduction of aprox 2-3 psi and boost seems to taper off quicker. I will go for a test later today and confirm if this is the case. Honestly im not sure if i feel any reduction in performance though, If there was no gauge installed you wouldn't know.

I'm going to investigate further and also Analise the unit with the multi meter later today.

Sounds good GreyTriton, I'll be keen to hear your findings!

Josephcullen

Postby Greytriton on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:04 pm

Ok full assessment and testing is completed. Some dissspointment also

The cable was tested from pin to pin
Pin 1 - Straight through
Pin 2 - Straight through
Pin 3 - Straight through
Pin 4,5 - Connected together at the loom end with a 14.99k resistor
Pin 4 at sensor end - Not Connected
Pin 5 at Sensor end - Not Connected

The cable does its task correctly of electronically disabling the EGR function as can be observed on my scan gauge.

The disappointing road test:

No cable installed - 60-80kmh full throttle flat road - Initial spike 26-27psi boost tapering to a solid 24psi holding.

Cable installed - 60-80kmh full throttle flat road - Initial spike 23 psi boost settling at 19-20psi max.
A loss of 4psi and I can feel it.

Click to view larger picture

Greytriton

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:37 pm

Nice little analysis there greytriton.

People think these things are simple to whip up but as the vehicles get more complex the scope for unexpected consequences increases.

I know Tony was testing for months before he arrived at a method he was happy with. And many engine lights were triggered in that process. :lol:

Cowboy Dave

Postby Greytriton on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:49 pm

Well we can presume all methods in defeating the EGR in this method weather it be one brand or another is a glorified resistor.

Again proven here no dispute as I've provided the hard evidence. I could achieve the same result as done on my ML with a resistor from Jaycar. Sure not as nice as the nice patch lead but same result.

I'm not willing to put up with a 4psi boost reduction for the sake of a non limp home occasional light I can clear. My EGR is fully plate blocked.
Greytriton

Postby snakesoup on Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:11 pm

very interesting observation mate, I wonder if it's the same on the mn's, mine is double blanked and never limped, I also have the resister mod as well !! I may look at removing at after seeing this, may not get the same result as MQ but who knows, would be good to test it !
snakesoup

Postby andelect on Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:29 pm

Greytriton.
Great test and comments.
I have the crisp module installed, and have noticed a very slight reduction in "foot to the floor" power compared to having an EGR block plate with hole.
Very interesting on Turbo pressure. I rarely put the foot down, but have on a few times thought I was imagining if I had more power when I first got the vehicle when putting the throttle down. Now I know.
From my perspective the fuel economy is better, and tad better reduction in turbo lag, very much the same as having the EGR plate (with hole). I will retain the module, just to have that EGR fully not operating is the main aim at the moment. If I was towing, and consistently having heavy loads requiring more power, I would certainly review using electronic module instead of plate.
Wonder how SPV module will test out?
andelect

Postby nat1971 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:33 pm

hi all ....look just asking as i have heard that MQ's use the EGR as a route for turbo blowoff,,, in other words if you are blocking the EGR pathway this will impede the turbo from dumping pressure, leading to another problem...were as getting the right (and of course more costly) performance tunes allows for the EGR to open when the turbo requires.....anyone got any info on this....
nat1971

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:36 pm

Several on a MQ page on Facebook claim the cable makes no performance difference.

The DIY version seems to be (I have seen no logic on how this resister value was chosen, like most things I learn on Facebook I view with skepticism)
7ohm resistor soldered in to the white wire from the air flow sensor

L200Shogun

Postby murwullambah on Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:36 pm

Greytriton wrote:Well we can presume all methods in defeating the EGR in this method weather it be one brand or another is a glorified resistor.

Again proven here no dispute as I've provided the hard evidence. I could achieve the same result as done on my ML with a resistor from Jaycar. Sure not as nice as the nice patch lead but same result.

I'm not willing to put up with a 4psi boost reduction for the sake of a non limp home occasional light I can clear. My EGR is fully plate blocked.

Thanks for your info Greytriton, very interesting, i have also fully blocked EGR just out of interest how often do you get engine check light and does it seem a consistent time span when it happens, also can the same result be achieved as the crisp mod with a simple inline resistor as mentioned.
murwullambah

Postby Greytriton on Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:40 am

Well this confirms my finding exactly. This is the first time checking the real schematic and it concurred.

Resistor across pins 4 yellow and 5 white

Greytriton

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:52 am

Greytriton wrote:Ok full assessment and testing is completed. Some dissspointment also

The cable was tested from pin to pin
Pin 1 - Straight through
Pin 2 - Straight through
Pin 3 - Straight through
Pin 4,5 - Connected together at the loom end with a 14.99k resistor
Pin 4 at sensor end - Not Connected
Pin 5 at Sensor end - Not Connected

The cable does its task correctly of electronically disabling the EGR function as can be observed on my scan gauge.

The disappointing road test:

No cable installed - 60-80kmh full throttle flat road - Initial spike 26-27psi boost tapering to a solid 24psi holding.

Cable installed - 60-80kmh full throttle flat road - Initial spike 23 psi boost settling at 19-20psi max.
A loss of 4psi and I can feel it.

Good findings there. Somewhat disappointing to see the product wasn't thought through very well.
Have you had a word with Crispmods about your findings, as they don't mention the boost loss in their blurb?

I wonder how they arrived at the resistor value? Was it a random choice?
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greytriton on Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:31 pm

I'm not interested in bagging anyone's product. It's an exceptionally well made lead with perfect plugs.

It works perfectly at closing the EGR valve as described.

If it were not for the boost control being affected it would still be on my Ute.

Now to work out why it does this.
Greytriton

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:23 pm

Unfortunately they haven't researched the whole thing enough and they've taken too simplistic an approach. Fortunately you've removed yours before any more drastic side effects could emerge.

The resistor mod referred to above is also not a viable solution as I understand it.

Cowboy Dave

Postby YJM Alex on Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:18 am

Interesting
YJM Alex

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion