Engine Over Heating & A/C Not Cold

Postby hoges on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:23 pm

I am driving a 2010 MN GLXR as a loan vehicle at the moment, due to my 2010 150 Prado injectors and injector pump succumbing to, what Toyota claim, 'dirty fuel'. What I claim is a vehicle manufactured to use fuel which is not available here (US/European market), and the filtration system is not adequate for the Aussie market. This is an un-resolved warranty or not issue at this time. I digress....

When I picked up the Triton, I noticed the a/c was not that cold, and when stationary at lights, was actually blowing warm air into the cabin. I quickly booked it in to the local Mitsu dealer for a look. A day later, the Triton over heated and boiled during some hill driving. I wasn't impressed.

Anyway, after the dealer inspected it, they found a large amount of grass seeds etc stuck between the a/c condenser and radiator. By large amount, I mean from the bottom to about 3" from the top of the radiator. When this was pointed out to me, I said I'd fix it myself. Which I did.

When standing at the front of the vehicle, it is difficult to see between the condenser and radiator as there is a cowl up against the radiator. To fix the problem, I simply removed front grille and the two 12mm bolts which hold the radiator to the radiator support panel and pushed the radiator towards the engine, which allowed me to get a garden hose into the gap and flush the crap out of there. It took about 5 minutes to get it all out. That seems to have solved the problem. The 40+ degree days in Sydney this week have been a strenuous test. It certainly hasn't overheated, and the a/c is cool, but it ain't like the Prado.

The gap between the condenser and radiator is large enough to let stuff in, but probably not enough to let stuff out, especially when the engine is running with all that suction. As the Triton is a loaner, I won't be making any modifications to this vehicle. The Prado is due for change over as soon as it's fixed, and I'll be going into a new GLXR, which you can be sure will receive some type of mod to keep the crap out. As soon as I do this, I'll post some pics.

So keep and eye on this area; while it's not simple to check, it's not hard either, but it is easy to fix. You have been warned.....
hoges

Re: Engine Over Heating & A/C Not Cold

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:27 pm

Interesting.

Wondering whether some air to the radiator is bypassing the aircon condensor and therefore not cooling it properly under some conditions?

Sometimes wonder if the aircon is faulty as its not as cold as previous vehicles. My daughter's Alto blows cool almost as soon as the aircon is turned on!

Once at highway speed the unit seems to work OK.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mattz on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:17 am

First Prado craps itself.
Then Triton loaner has problems.
Fixes problem.
Joins forum.
Posts the fix. (his/hers very first post)
Now talking about buy triton and mods.
Love it.
Hahahahaha
Oh yeh WELCOME !!!!!!!

Cheers Matt.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby mad992 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:50 am

mattz wrote:First Prado craps itself.
Fixes problem.
Joins forum.
Love it.
Hahahahaha
Oh yeh WELCOME !!!!!!!

Cheers Matt.

roger that :lol:
mad992

Postby hoges on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:25 am

mattz wrote:First Prado craps itself.
Fixes problem.
Joins forum.
Love it.
Hahahahaha
Oh yeh WELCOME !!!!!!!

Cheers Matt.

Thanks Matt (I think), great to be here.

I'm happy to help others to avoid similar situations and learn from my experience. I might argue that the over heating issue I experienced may be due to a design fault as it seems some other MN Triton drivers have experienced the same issue. This was one problem I DIDN'T have in a Toyota ;) Nothing a bit of well placed shade cloth won't fix.

I had a 2008 120 Prado before the 150. I think (thought) the Toyota's are (were) great. I turn a vehicle over every 12-15 months (that's get a new one, not put them on their roof!); government fleet. I had a Hilux w/canopy ordered as a replacement for the Prado because I felt the Prado was a bit soft in the bush and lacked luggage space, but I fell out of love with Toyota when they wanted to argue to toss on the repair of the Prado. It broke down on 9/1, and is still sitting in the workshop. While this is not a financial issue for me, it is very inconvenient from a work and personal perspective. My fleet mgr has had a terrible time dealing with Toyota on warranty issues. 2 yrs ago our fleet was 100% Toyota; today 40%. Hence, I canned the Hilux order and I'm moving with the trend.

I had the Triton as a loaner around April last year when the Prado was in for repairs (is there a trend here?), so I have had experience with them.

I will be having a number of accessories fitted to the Triton to suit. How it pans out after a few months in the field, time will tell.
hoges

Postby Joe on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:34 am

Welcome along hoges. Good to have a new convert on here :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I think it is a shame the way Toyota are heading. They have just recalled another 1.5 million vehicles world wide and I can't see how they will ever get back to there former glory. This is what happens when an innovative company rests on it's laurels and takes it's customers for granted. Built tough? Maybe once, but not anymore.
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby Homer on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:15 am

Welcome Hoges and thanks for the info.

Subi_man posted something very similar quite a long time ago, so good to have it brought back up.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:25 am

to be honest hoges this warranty/quality tune is something you will hear here as well.

also the ML/MN A/C in many cases is not as good as some cars and not even close to my other triton the MK (A/C is heaps better). although with good tints it keeps up - just, even with the smaller volume cabs compared to a prado.

good luck with the Prado - lesson learnt is a pre-fuel filter i reckon. as diesel quality is common across all of us any further infor you can provide would be helpful as it is not brand specific.

there has been some discussion that adding pre-filters to fuel systems is bad for warranty but possibly not doing it is even more costly. :shock:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hoges on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:57 pm

Well, you can't say I didn't warm them!

Two of my colleagues were suffering similar symptoms in their Triton as mine. I gave them the heads up last Wednesday.

Thursday night, one Triton boiled over and stopped. He pulled over and camped in the truck. 3 hrs later, he started up and it overheated in 5 minutes. He couldn't figure out why. Stuffed head gasket most likely was my guess, with hot gases super heating the coolant . A tow to the dealer and inspection reveals a seized engine. Bear in mind this Triton is about 3 months old. That's gunna hurt. He said he went to a car wash earlier in the week and used the high pressure hose to wash between the condenser and radiator. He didn't undo the radiator and move it back.

The other, well Friday night he was heading home and all of the sudden the vehicle wouldn't allow more than 1500 RPM. He pulled over and called Roadside Assist. 1hr later the towie hadn't arrived, so he thought he'd give it a go. Away she went, no worries. The towie arrived shortly after and followed him to town. He decided to head for home (2hrs). He only had to make it about 30ks closer to home for the vehicle to be towed to his local dealer if it happened again (R'side Assist are required to tow the vehicle to the nearest Mitsu dealer, in this case the nearest was 1hr further away from his home), so he went for it. 1 1/2hrs later (and 30ks short of his destination), same thing. He waited an hour...same story, away he went home.

When he got home and had a look, there were grass seeds etc between the condenser and radiator and were almost to the top of the radiator. That was quickly rectified using the method I described in my first post of this thread. He's yet to learn if that was the cause, or if there's more to it.

Again, heed the warning and check this. Remember, you must undo the radiator to be able to get a hose in there.

On a brighter note regarding the Prado (and why I'm here in the the first place), Toyota sent the injectors and injector pump to Denso, the manufacturer of the parts. I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota owns Denso or something like that. Anyway, Denso wanted to inspect the parts and determine if the parts failed, if the 'dirty fuel' was at fault, a combination of these or something else. Toyota called me and said that Denso had completed their inspection, and their findings were, wait for it...INCONCLUSIVE. Whatever that means? What does it mean? It means Toyota said Denso is providing the replacement parts, and Toyota will be putting the vehicle back together and I can pick it up sometime next week, no charge.

Common rail diesels and our lower standard of fuel quality makes me think this will become a more prevalent issue in the future. Anyone know of a good aftermarket fuel filter that won't effect warranty?????????
hoges

Postby CairnsGSE on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Where have these blokes been driving .Dont blame the car its the dickheads driving them
CairnsGSE

Postby hoges on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:42 pm

Where have these blokes been driving .Dont blame the car its the dickheads driving them

Nice. Maybe those winds from the cyclone are still rattlin' round in your head?

I'm not clear where I've blamed the vehicle. Yes, I did say it may be a design fault. When consideration is given to the conditions in this country Tritons may be subjected to, this suggestion may be supported (as referenced below by Homer); apparently I'm not the first Triton driver to experience this problem. By posting my experience and knowledge of the problem here, I hope to raise awareness amongst Triton drivers. I did make it clear that individuals should check their vehicles. My inference here was that it's the driver's/owner's etc responsibility.

These are work vehicles, (that's pretty clear) driven in the bush (where these guys work), apparently where these vehicles are 'designed' to be driven. I'll bet good money that any MN Triton (I can't speak for other models, I have no experience with them) driven anywhere in the bush for a while in NSW at the moment would likely experience the same thing; a build up of grass seeds and similar light, knee high plant type material between the radiator and condenser.

I was under the impression one purpose of forums like this is to share information with others. I guess I need to remind myself that any tool with access to a PC can type the first thing that comes to their feeble mind.
hoges

Postby wdw on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:38 am

Well Hoges I will surely look out for the problem you have mentioned as one can easily miss it.
Thanx for given us the info as it surely can be disasterous on the Cannning or somewhere on a farm in the outback.
wdw

Postby hoges on Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:52 pm

Tex

Thanks, I'll be mindful of that, especially when cleaning that area.

I can tell you that the 2nd problem (max 1500 revs) was diagnosed as a dirty air filter! A pre-cleaner may be a good idea. A clean air filter is probably the best one though. ;)

No news yet on the seized one.

If I find the time this w'end, I'm going to work on a fix of some type, most likely some shade cloth or similar. I'll post photos when I do.
hoges

Postby CairnsGSE on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:05 pm

gee should have replied to the dribble before but have been working in the Bush .I am on my 2nd Work triton ,ML now MN all remote area stuff, dirt tracks ,fence lines, tar ,no roads .I have hit owls ,galahs ,bush turkeys ,been through locust swarms ,beetle infestations ,spear grass ,spinafex ,guinea grass ,dust sand mud over the last 4 years and never had any radiator issuies .I too joined this site to get information on common triton problems but some of the no brainer rubbish people write I just have to comment on.If these workers knew they had to drive in long grass all the time they should have had radiator protection ,again I say its not a triton or would be any other vehicle problem its the dickhead driver .
CairnsGSE

Postby Greedy on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:02 pm

Tex wrote:I have heard of high pressure hoses bending radiator fins and causing issues.

Hey!!! :x I resemble that comment. :lol: :oops:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hoges on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:39 pm

CairnsGSE wrote:gee should have replied to the dribble before but have been working in the Bush .I am on my 2nd Work triton ,ML now MN all remote area stuff, dirt tracks ,fence lines, tar ,no roads .I have hit owls ,galahs ,bush turkeys ,been through locust swarms ,beetle infestations ,spear grass ,spinafex ,guinea grass ,dust sand mud over the last 4 years and never had any radiator issuies .I too joined this site to get information on common triton problems but some of the no brainer rubbish people write I just have to comment on.If these workers knew they had to drive in long grass all the time they should have had radiator protection ,again I say its not a triton or would be any other vehicle problem its the dickhead driver .

Firstly, I'll call bullshit on that one! Navara's, Hilux's and Prado's (these have their own separate issues) have been subjected to the same conditions with no issues.

Secondly, as I've said before and will say again for those who are slow on the uptake...this is a problem that other Triton drivers (apparently except for CairnsGXE) need to be made aware of.

I'm here all week; try the veal.
Thank you, and goodnight!!
hoges

Postby CairnsGSE on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:23 pm

all the others no problems ,then why have I had to remove radiators on some hire vehicles to clean the out . Now let me explain . If i had a vehicle that I knew was going to be driven in a tall grass enviroment for extended periods of time I would fit some sort of seed protection on the grill ( Like I have ),around the bull bar ,in front of radiator where ever. go on have the last comment
CairnsGSE

Postby snowman on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:20 am

hoges wrote:Secondly, as I've said before and will say again for those who are slow on the uptake...this is a problem that other Triton drivers (apparently except for CairnsGXE) need to be made aware of.

fair thread Hoges. particularly the advice regarding removal of the (i assume) top screws for the hose access. can you whack up any photos.

plenty of people here are new or inexperienced and, hey, even the experienced guys have learned something on here.

And CairnsGSE, seriously dude, sign up here;

http://www.angermanagement.com.au/
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby CairnsGSE on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:40 pm

gee I thought I was calm
CairnsGSE

Postby RockoWallaby on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:49 pm

Dude! Got a great idea! In fact, it's so amazing, I hurt my shoulder blades patting myself on the back after thinking of it!
Fit the prado radiator and aircon to the Triton! :lol:
Although I have to admit, NOTHING beats Toyota air!
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby Zantus on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:14 am

I only opened this thread for the first time now.

The past weekend I took off my aftermarket bash plate before my Triton goes in for it's service. I crawled around underneath and found some grass between the condensor and radiator, not much, about half a hand full. I don't drive a lot in areas with tall grass, so that bit of grass was from the last 2 years of offroad driving.

If I ever visit areas with lots of tall grass, I will definately use a seed net over the front of my Triton and would recommend it to other Triton owners as well.
Zantus

Return to Tips & Tricks