Mq dual battery setup?

Mq dual battery setup?

Postby Deano197 on Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:53 am

Has anyone done a dual battery setup on mq dual cab well body triton? What's your setup and any problems with the smart alternator? Cheers in advance.
Deano197

Re: Mq dual battery setup?

Postby Dunga71 on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:05 pm

No smart alternator and no problems with mine wired the same way as I did in my MN also have a hot wire running to the 12 pin trailer plug and had no dramas with that either
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Postby Rohandmel on Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:52 pm

I am just awaiting the arrival of my MQ and had a query. Does a second battery fit under the bonnet or am I going to be mounting it in the tray? Cheers
Rohandmel

Postby Merts on Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:11 pm

You can fit a 10" plus a 12" under the bonnet on a new tray. Best bet is to get a 10" high capacity starting battery and use the factory one as your auxiliary. When it eventually dies replace it with a deep cycle.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Rohandmel on Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:30 am

Thanks Merts much appreciated mate!!
Rohandmel

Postby UN4GIVN on Mon May 16, 2016 10:51 pm

Hey merts who makes the tray to fit the second battery tray to fit under the bonnet?
UN4GIVN

Postby Merts on Tue May 17, 2016 5:08 am

I will check with my mechanic and get back to you. I've actually decided to put a 120AH full river AGM in the tray next to the drawers rather than under the bonnet. This means I've still got the larger capacity starting battery for the winch, and the dc-dc charger and aux battery are much closer to my on board compressor (also in the tray) and the battery in my camper.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Merts on Tue May 17, 2016 6:58 am

UN4GIVN wrote:Hey merts who makes the tray to fit the second battery tray to fit under the bonnet?

Piranha was the one we were going to use.
http://www.piranhaoffroad.com.au/produc ... mitsubishi

I really think putting it in the tray (if you are also fitting drawers) is the best option.
Obviously if you aren't fitting drawers, under the bonnet is best.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gazman152 on Fri May 20, 2016 6:50 pm

What's the space like behind the seat in an MQ? Best spot in my opinion for a battery in the MN. Best with sealed AGM within cab. Battery stays cooler and it's one less thing in the tray.
gazman152

Postby Rustyau on Sat May 28, 2016 7:45 pm

gazman152 wrote:What's the space like behind the seat in an MQ? Best spot in my opinion for a battery in the MN. Best with sealed AGM within cab. Battery stays cooler and it's one less thing in the tray.

Like this idea. Has anyone tried to put a 120ah behind the rear seat?
Rustyau

Postby taurus577 on Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:25 pm

Im going with this setup with the box mounted in the tray, basically plug and play;

http://www.australiandirect.com.au/buy/ ... 20/1543543

You really need to use a DC-DC charger as you won't get a full charge using a VSR
taurus577

Postby striker99 on Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:43 pm

Rustyau wrote:
gazman152 wrote:What's the space like behind the seat in an MQ? Best spot in my opinion for a battery in the MN. Best with sealed AGM within cab. Battery stays cooler and it's one less thing in the tray.

Like this idea. Has anyone tried to put a 120ah behind the rear seat?

I like this idea also, I had hoped to be able to run 2 fridges for long trips (Waeco CF40 fridge in rear) and a smallish ~20L freezer. At this stage i've settled on a dual battery tray with a 63AH Exide Extreme battery 10" long which i already had for a second battery, it runs the Waeco fine for approx 48 hours if only running it as a fridge, but with 2 fridges no chance.... A second/Third battery behind the rear seats may be a good option.
striker99

Postby tomgwilson8 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:19 pm

Hey guys, sorry I'm new to this so I'm not sure how to post the question. I noticed Dunga71 said that there is not smart alternator on the triton mq. I'm going to install some LED driving lights this week but I cant find anywhere to say if this will cause sensors to be tripped when I tap the remote wire on the wiring harness into the high beam wire. have you guys installed driving lights on the MQ triton and did you have any issues? any advice would be great :D
tomgwilson8

Postby Thanatos on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:59 pm

tomgwilson8 wrote:Hey guys, sorry I'm new to this so I'm not sure how to post the question. I noticed Dunga71 said that there is not smart alternator on the triton mq. I'm going to install some LED driving lights this week but I cant find anywhere to say if this will cause sensors to be tripped when I tap the remote wire on the wiring harness into the high beam wire. have you guys installed driving lights on the MQ triton and did you have any issues? any advice would be great :D

Hi Tom,

Check this thread out viewtopic.php?f=101&t=19156

I wired up some LED spotlights and used the high beam switching wire in the photos in that thread to operate them with the high beam. Has not caused any issues for me and works perfectly.
There are two types of people in this world; those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Thanatos

Postby tomgwilson8 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:00 am

Thanks heaps thanatos. saved me a massive headache
tomgwilson8

Postby striker99 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:00 pm

This is the setup I went with; the battery Tray
is made by off-road armoury I think it was. Using the original main battery to run the fridge, and a smaller 630cca battery I already had for the starter.

Click to view larger picture
striker99

Postby matt76 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:49 pm

taurus577 wrote:Im going with this setup with the box mounted in the tray, basically plug and play;

http://www.australiandirect.com.au/buy/ ... 20/1543543

You really need to use a DC-DC charger as you won't get a full charge using a VSR

Did you end up getting one of these mate? I'm struggling to find too much feedback or reviews on them, the product looks good though.
matt76

Postby Staggs on Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:07 pm

I just bought a very similar setup to what taurus linked, hopefully get it this week.

I bought this http://www.australiandirect.com.au/buy/ ... ry/1507404 and will have it setup in the tub. I already have a Redarc BCDC1225 that I will mount on the box instead of the Projecta unit taurus linked.

I have run 6B&S cable (with a 50amp circuit breaker under bonnet) to the tub and mounted a 50amp anderson plug just under the top lip of the edge of the tub. Plan is to have the battery removeable so i can leave the fridge at camp with the battery hooked up to solar and run it indefinitely or leave it in the car if so desired.
Staggs

Postby matt76 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:34 am

Awesome let us know what you think of it.
Cheers
matt76

Postby Staggs on Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:11 pm

I used the battery setup last week on a camping trip and it worked perfectly.

Once at camp I setup the battery out of the car with a 40L engel plugged in 24/7, camp lights at night and had it charging phones and ipads during the day. It was setup with an old 100w solar panel charging it up during the day and it didn't drop below 12.5v the entire week (~80% full). That being said the weather was fairly cool (maxxed out low 20's during the day) and the fridge was in permanent shade so it wasn't having to work that hard anyway.

When plugged into the car on the drive up and back the BCDC did its thing and bulk charged off the alternator and isolated when the car was off.

If the weather was hotter I'd want a larger solar panel (~150W) as the 100W I was using was taking until early afternoon most days before the BCDC made it to float mode (100% full).
Staggs

Dual battery advice

Postby Dasa on Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:54 am

Gents,

Just need a little advice as I'm a novice with this type of stuff, I purchase a MQ Exceed with a dual battery setup - second battery located in the tub and I have the Redarc BCDC 1220 installed servicing a Century N70ZZHD MF sealed battery. My question is I would like to run a 60L Waeco ( or equivalent )fridge/freezer and Led lighting down the track backed up with a 160 watt solar kit and possibly a geny as an emergency backup for weekend or extended trips, is this battery OK for now or should I be looking at a AGM deep cycle change over now ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Dasa

Re: Dual battery advice

Postby kxboss on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:21 pm

The n70 non sealed runs my 60 litre everkool for at least three days more from memory at -10
kxboss

Re: Dual battery advice

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:20 am

Those N70 batteries are fine for your purpose. They have the capacity to run your fridge for a long time between charging, however, if you keep it topped off with your solar rig, it will keep the battery healthy. IMHO, the weekend trips would be fine without the solar setup, as the battery has enough capacity to run the fridge, just monitor the voltage. The trick is not to never let the battery run flat, and you will get years out of it.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Proof on Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Hey Guys,
Looking at dual batteries for my new MQ, I am thinking of going with striker99s idea but I have few questions ,
Has anyone used this DC to DC Charger http://www.intervolt.com/product/in-veh ... y-charger/
if so have you been through any deep water? and how did it perform.
Replacing the start battery with a smaller one in order to run a larger Aux battery effect anything ? given that when you winch the car should be running.
Is heat shielding the batteries necessary?

My ideal outcome will be a complete under bonnet solution as I need the tub to remain as a tub

Cheers
Ben
Proof

Postby jerrah on Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:47 pm

Proof wrote:Has anyone used this DC to DC Charger
It looks like an interesting unit. It's rated to IP67 so should be ok with water crossings. I have the ctek D205s and it's been fine.
jerrah

Next

Return to Electrical