Recovery points wont fit MN with Ironman bullbar

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Recovery points wont fit MN with Ironman bullbar

Postby tritonglxr2012 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi,
Guys I'm looking for some feedback around recovery points I had my 2.5 Inch lift installed by Ironman last week and while they were at it I asked them to install two recovery points. When I went to pick the car up the sales rep advised me that they could not install the recovery points due to how the Ironman bull bars are mounted to the Chassis there isnt room to mount the points. Has anyone else had this issue? and if so are there any other options to upgrade or am i stuck with the crap factory points?
tritonglxr2012

Re: Recovery points wont fit MN with Ironman bullbar

Postby Geoff3DMN on Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:30 am

Yes I had the same issue when I ordered some recovery points to be fitted to my MN.

I was told that the mounting for the Ironman bar extends back along the chassis and over the mounting point for the recovery points. I was also told it was not possible to modify the bar for use with the recovery points without seriously weakening the bar mounting.

The only offered 'solution' was to replace the bar with a bar of a different type so at this point I'm still without front recovery points.
Geoff3DMN
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 98kellrs on Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:48 am

Yeah that was the main reason I eventually chose not to get the Ironman bar, I paid a little more and got a TJM outback which comes with rated recovery points built in.
98kellrs

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:18 am

There is probably a lesson here in fully researching a purchase before committing to it. Certainly there are documented instances of this and related issues on this forum, easily found with a simple search.

That said, the perceived need to have "rated" recovery points is a nonsense. The Triton comes with factory fitted tow points which have been tested for recovery and found to be more than adequate - provided proper procedures and techniques are used.

At this point the best advice i could give to OP would be to invest in some training (club or otherwise) to learn how to use the tow points fitted to the vehicle.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Geoff3DMN on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:57 am

NowForThe5th wrote:The Triton comes with factory fitted tow points which have been tested for recovery and found to be more than adequate - provided proper procedures and techniques are used.

Oh yeah I know, I've had to use them a few times but that's not the reason I wanted the after market ones.

I just think the bright red recovery points look good :lol:
Geoff3DMN
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Merts on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:04 am

Geoff3DMN wrote:I just think the bright red recovery points look good :lol:

Paint the factory ones. :)
In all seriousness, that's what I did. Not for looks, but so that anyone hooking a snatch strap up can easily identify them.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tritonglxr2012 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:31 pm

Cool, Thanks heaps for the feedback guys! I guess you get what you pay for in some respects to this gear and a little more research before i bought it would have helped. Not to worry its a learning experience for the next mod.
Thanks again.
tritonglxr2012

Postby Stuart77 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:41 am

NowForThe5th wrote:That said, the perceived need to have "rated" recovery points is a nonsense. The Triton comes with factory fitted tow points which have been tested for recovery and found to be more than adequate - provided proper procedures and techniques are used.

Just out of interest, are you talking about the factory tie-down loops? If so, where do you come by that info? I don't doubt what you are saying at all but it seems that every piece of advice you read advises against using the factory tie-down loops as they aren't rated.
Cheers
Stuart77

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:09 pm

Here is a Youtube video where Mitsubishi engineers supervised test recoveries. There is another, better quality and longer version there somewhere if you want to search for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPXixsvjDjY

Front tow points on the Pajero are the same as the Triton and you can see from the video that they took over 3 tonnes force with no effect.

Correct procedures are always essential and best practice would use a bridle to equalise forces but I've done plenty of recoveries without one. Just like everything else off road, if you go at it like a bull at a gate then you'll end up in strife. People have been doing recoveries with Pajeros and Tritons for a very long time and without issue.

I can't say about other makes (well, I can, but I won't) but the myth that is perpetuated about needing "rated" tow points is, in the case of Pajero and Triton (including Challenger and Sport) is just that - a myth. Sells lots more "rated" tow points though.

Oh, and by the way, ask your "rated" recovery point supplier to supply you with written proof of the rating. They can't and they won't. So it's all bullshit. :(
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Stuart77 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:08 pm

Thanks for the vid, much appreciated.
Stuart77

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:06 am

Those welded points v some bolt on affair should be self evident.

As previously stated, I'm concerned that some of those bolt on tow points actually cross over the crumple zones on the chassis. While you may not think it makes much difference in a bingle, the insurance assessor may see it as an instant 'out clause'.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Triton14 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:34 pm

98kellrs wrote:Yeah that was the main reason I eventually chose not to get the Ironman bar, I paid a little more and got a TJM outback which comes with rated recovery points built in.

Are you sure the outback bar from TJM comes with recovery points for the MN??

It does not state thats the case on their website!

Other outback bars for other model cars do but not for the MN??
Triton14

Postby Triton14 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:43 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:There is probably a lesson here in fully researching a purchase before committing to it. Certainly there are documented instances of this and related issues on this forum, easily found with a simple search.

That said, the perceived need to have "rated" recovery points is a nonsense. The Triton comes with factory fitted tow points which have been tested for recovery and found to be more than adequate - provided proper procedures and techniques are used.

At this point the best advice i could give to OP would be to invest in some training (club or otherwise) to learn how to use the tow points fitted to the vehicle.

I think you had better read up a bit more!

"tow point" vs recovery points(rated) can nowhere near take the loads required in an actual real recovery.

If your half way down your tyres in mud even in a vehicle without ant additional weight you have increased the moving mass but about 30% so a 2 tonne vehicle would feel more like 3 tonne, the deeper you go the heavier the initial recovery mass to a point where the weight being pulled could be double the vehicle weight!

No "tow point" is boing to be able to come anywhere near that, even in the 1st instance I mentioned.
Triton14

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:31 pm

Triton14 wrote:"tow point" vs recovery points(rated) can nowhere near take the loads required in an actual real recovery.

Thanks for your timely response. The wonders of computer generated graphics, eh? Looked like real recovery to me, up to the axles in sand and below the ridge of the dune. Do you think that the Mitsubishi engineers were faked too?
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby peter9231 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:07 pm

It was filmed in the same place NASA filmed the moon landing. :D
peter9231
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bluey_Zarsoff on Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:49 pm

An Oldie post,, but we just fitted Roadsafe recovery points to an old beat up MN bush basher with a Rock Armor Deluxe Bull bar which is similar to the Ironman & ARB Deluxe bars & exactly the same as the Dobinson's Classic Black bar & a few others.
This bull bar was held on with only two M10 bolts into the chassis on each side as well as having two big U-bolts on each side that went over & under the chassis rail & then they go through the Bull bar mount. I am amazed this bull bar has not been pulled straight off the chassis while using the winch because it is a really poor design & only really for show.

We got rid of the slippy U-Bolts and put 2x M12 HT bolts & spacers through the chassis on each side in their place (had to drill new holes but). We then welded what was once just "a bolted on" winch cradle to each chassis mount on each side which made it a strong one piece mount instead of just two flimsy brackets. And then we welded in a long piece of flat 5mm thick steel across the back of the cradle that spans from each mount point so we could put another 3x M12 HT bolts in the front cross chassis rail.
It is now way stronger & more stable than it was before, & no way will it pivot or pull off the front now. It still has the crush cans in the mount too.

The Roadsafe recovery points now fit exactly where the U-bolts were mounted originally, and they fitted perfectly like they were supposed to.
EDIT: Almost forgot, the bar had some 3mm thick flat metal slides on the front bottom of each mount & we had to trim these by half their length with a cutting disk. Don't even know what they were for because they were not very strong
Bluey_Zarsoff

Return to General Discussion