exhaust or snorkel????

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

exhaust or snorkel????

Postby djmoreton on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:40 pm

hi guys, I could do with a bit of advice. Toiling with the idea of a new exhaust for the Triton. Looked through over 65 different threads here but still not got the answer I wanted. I was told a 2.75" was optimum size for 3.2 ML Triton. Any difference / reason for going for a 3" ? Do I need to get an exhaust with a CAT, muffler or is a straight through pipe a better option. I realise that fitting a turbo - back pipe is the way to go. Why fit a CAT back, 3" as the pipe is still reduced from the turbo to the CAT. Was hearing of only minor fuel economy increases but every little bit helps, if I can get 1 lt/100km I will be happy. Like I said I am toiling with the idea of pipe or snorkel, not sure of which one first, if I can get fuel economy reduction then swmbo might let me get the next for being a good boy :)
Thanks
djmoreton

djmoreton

Re: exhaust or snorkel????

Postby dan.batto on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:55 pm

Hey mate,
Guys tend to go the 3" as it's cheaper and readily available. Yeah fuel economy may increase but to be honest I haven't noticed it much. Some have noticed better economy with a snorkel. It all comes down to what your using your tri for. If you heading out bush in river crossings etc, a snorkel will far out way an exhaust.
Personally, if you were getting a chip then maybe get the exhaust, but for my use, the snorkel was the better option, and was one my first few mods, along with good bash plates ;)
Good luck with your decision!
dan.batto

Postby djmoreton on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:04 pm

thanks dan.batto Upgraded those things that were called bash plates within 2 months of owning Triton. Buckled a set on the work ute and cost me loads. Triton used as daily driver while being set up for long touring. 2 years time, long service and heading out for the big lap. Not sure about chip yet as Triton seems to pull and handle everything I've asked of it so far. Both mods will get done before the trip but deciding on which one first.
djmoreton

Postby ag9111 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:37 pm

2.75" for the 2.5 HP MN
3" for the 3.2L ML
Unless you are chasing big horsepower gains through engine mods, an upsized exhaust will giver you no noticeable changes in power or fuel economy.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mattz on Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:14 am

Unless you're going to put in a chip, an exhaust won't give much benefit at all. Except make it sound faster. :lol:
The biggest advantage of as larger exhaust is reducing EGTs but you shouldn't have an issue with those

If you're going to do a big trip or some touring a snorkel is almost essential.....depending on where you head.

Just so you know.......removing the CAT is illegal.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby djmoreton on Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:03 am

thanks for that mattz, thought it might be dodgy taking the CAT out of the system, why put it in there if it wasnt needed. Dont want it to SOUND faster, its a diesel. Get my fix of speed when tractor pulling. Ok, snorkel it is. now el cheapo or costly, diy or fitted. looking into TJM as I thought they looked pretty cool.
djmoreton

Postby dan.batto on Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:20 am

Ahh the decisions are hard! How competent are at DIY? It's not that hard to do, except a lot of the templates are out of whack on the snorkels, it's just a matter of checking everything lines up before drilling. Put your name down for the hole saws that have been replaced by triton wreckers and have a go. It will probably save you a fair whack of $.
dan.batto

Postby Monkeyz on Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:41 am

djmoreton wrote:thanks for that mattz, thought it might be dodgy taking the CAT out of the system, why put it in there if it wasnt needed. Dont want it to SOUND faster, its a diesel. Get my fix of speed when tractor pulling. Ok, snorkel it is. now el cheapo or costly, diy or fitted. looking into TJM as I thought they looked pretty cool.

AS for snorkel, I have purchased an Ironman one and couldn't be happier with the quality (just waiting to get it fitted). I got a good deal at $260 for the kit so I reckon I got a good deal from a reputable dealer network. Some guys here have had luck with generic kits but I just get a little nervous about after sale service with them, just my little fear. From what I have read here apart from price it is the look ppl argue about Safari/Ironman/Generic tend to have that long run along the quarter panel, TJM runs internally and has a small exterior profile and I have read they can be a bitch to fit, this may have an input into your decision. as for price Safari can go get stuffed at 500+ just for the kit. I hope this is of help an not just reiterating what you already know...

Ironman
Click to view larger picture

TJM

Click to view larger picture

Mojo.. :geek:
Monkeyz

Postby mIwoo on Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:46 am

good post mojo.

looking at the "tjm" tri above.... if i had my time over again....
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby djmoreton on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:22 pm

yeah, thanks guys. I do like the TJM but have heard can be a pia to fit. As for DIY, yeah ok, but good mate very handy on the spanners so to speak. Agree, safari, not for that price. Probably will go Ironman unless others can talk me around to TJM fitting
djmoreton

Postby Damoml on Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:17 pm

I would go with the ironman snorkel again within a heart beat.
Will have alittle trouble with the template as they won't line up 100%
But I just placed it so the gap was even top of gaurd and door gap.
The snorkel itself is great value for for the money, I had a 18mm bit of chip
board hit my snorkel on the freeway.
Was doing about 90-100K's the sheet was about 500x500, saved me a gaurd n mirror atleast
Or at worst coming threw my windscreen. Didn't harm the snorkel only put a scratch on it!
Damoml

Postby Monkeyz on Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:29 pm

Damoml wrote:I would go with the ironman snorkel again within a heart beat.
Will have alittle trouble with the template as they won't line up 100%
But I just placed it so the gap was even top of gaurd and door gap.
The snorkel itself is great value for for the money, I had a 18mm bit of chip
board hit my snorkel on the freeway.
Was doing about 90-100K's the sheet was about 500x500, saved me a gaurd n mirror atleast
Or at worst coming threw my windscreen. Didn't harm the snorkel only put a scratch on it!

UMN.....WOW............Just WOW........hope you brought a lotto ticket on the way home....

Mojo.... :D
Monkeyz

Postby Damoml on Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:51 pm

I probably should have but didn't think of it lol.
All in all I thought the snorkel was going to me cracked or smashed to bits but it's still going strong :D
Damoml

Postby J Pup on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:27 am

what sort of range do people charge to install a snorkel?
J Pup

Postby macca002 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:07 pm

J Pup - The going rate where I live is around $200
macca002

Postby J Pup on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:53 pm

that doesnt sound too bad, thanks mate.
J Pup

Return to Fuel Systems