Buying a Triton soon

Anything Triton related

Buying a Triton soon

Postby Clemzstar on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:41 pm

Hi all,

Newbie to the Ute family and was thinking of getting a hilux or a triton.

Just wanting to know if i can get some opinions/tips/comments from the experts here before i put my money on the table for this. I already have 2014 Mazda 3 which i use for work so this is purely for fun and towing my boat ...

so with whatever money i have left, i came down to this ...
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/detai ... 28&sdmvc=1

What do you guys reckon? I planned to go down this weekend to have a look but not too sure what to look out for really ...

Thanks all, apologies if i posted at the wrong place
Clemzstar

Re: Buying a Triton soon

Postby al coholic on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:00 pm

You won't get anywhere near the same vintage Hilux for that money ;)

The GLX is adequate, if you can find a GLX-R it comes with "super select" which basically gives you AWD anytime you want as well as your normal high and low range. It's the most under rated feature on Mitsubishi's...and the Triton's are the only dual cab 4wd with that fitted ;) The auto box in the GLX-R is a 5 speed which is a quite a bit better than the 4 speed
Obviously GLX-R's will command a bit more coin than a GLX however.

There are some fairly common issues which can all be found by searching the forum, nothing that would be a deal breaker IMO. Carbon build up in the manifold would be the most common, it's something that alot of modern diesel 4x4's suffer to some degree.

Good luck 8-)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby fraz91 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:06 pm

That GLX is a 2WD, no transfer case lever (just a heads up in case you hadn't realised :) )

As Alco said, the GLX's are good base platforms, with the GL-R having a little more luxury and the GLX-R a few more features again. ;)

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby al coholic on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:21 pm

:oops: Good pick up Fraz....

Well if it's a 2wd youre after, you can disregard my comments about Super Select as its irrelevant :lol: :lol:
I always just assume everyone is talking about 4x4's as 99% of them are ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Clemzstar on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:47 pm

Its really more for towing and a bit of off road haha very mild type. hopefully this can suffice.
Clemzstar

Postby fraz91 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:35 am

The 2wd was given the low-power version of the 4D56 motor (100kW, 314Nm) as opposed to the 4D56HP in the 4WD (131kW, 350Nm auto/400Nm Manual). Just something else to consider :)

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby snowman on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:20 am

al coholic wrote:You won't get anywhere near the same vintage Hilux for that money ;)

The GLX is adequate, if you can find a GLX-R it comes with "super select" which basically gives you AWD anytime you want as well as your normal high and low range. It's the most under rated feature on Mitsubishi's...and the Triton's are the only dual cab 4wd with that fitted ;) The auto box in the GLX-R is a 5 speed which is a quite a bit better than the 4 speed
Obviously GLX-R's will command a bit more coin than a GLX however.

There are some fairly common issues which can all be found by searching the forum, nothing that would be a deal breaker IMO. Carbon build up in the manifold would be the most common, it's something that alot of modern diesel 4x4's suffer to some degree.

Good luck 8-)

I thought i was the only one who banged on about this. So very true Alco. :D :D :D
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Clemzstar on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:14 am

fraz91 wrote:The 2wd was given the low-power version of the 4D56 motor (100kW, 314Nm) as opposed to the 4D56HP in the 4WD (131kW, 350Nm auto/400Nm Manual). Just something else to consider :)

Thanks mate. But for that price under 15k, that 2wd looks alright, 2010 and mileage isnt that high either. I might look around more for a 4x4 ver. But not sure how much more it will cost really ... Did saw some that are 2007 and 170k mileage for 17-18 odd. Im at the gold coast btw.

Maybe if you guys can link me some potentials from gumtree/carsales I can have a look haha.

Thanks again all.
Clemzstar

Postby Clemzstar on Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:57 am

Went to view this car on the weekend and the car, though mechanically sound, is in pretty bad shape for the cosmetic department haha so the missus decided to keep on searching ...

Anyway just want to know,

any problems or things I should look out for if its a 2007 ML GLX-R with around 170,000km?

Should be no issue towing a 1 Ton Bayliner on a boat ramp?
Clemzstar

Postby nonnymouse on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:35 pm

Don't get petrol! Biggest mistake we made in regards to ours! It drinks about 20L/100km

Other than that it's an all round great drive
nonnymouse

Postby nonnymouse on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:41 pm

No should be no issue at all. We were able to over take multiple caravans while we were towing a 6m boat loaded with holiday gear at 100 km/hr up hill with much ease very recently.
nonnymouse

Postby Clemzstar on Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:38 pm

Thanks Nonnymouse.

I am intending to get a Diesel! haha which is good as i see alot on gumtree/carsales are mostly diesel.
Just waiting for the right one to pop up :)
Clemzstar

Postby triton-2011 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:48 pm

Cant go wrong with a triton mate, ive had an 07 hilux duel cab, and now own a 2011 triton GLXR duel cab... Best decision i ever made, although it wasn't cheap it did already have a few great extras, the 5 speed auto is very smooth and is also sports shift, which is great when off-road. Personally i have noticed a bit of turbo lag, but you get use to it after abit and doesn't in anyway hinder the performance or ability of the vehicle. Also in regards to fuel usage.. believe it or not it is better than my 05 camry sportivo (4cyl) which is surprising but fantastic.
triton-2011

Postby har05l on Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:52 pm

This is a bit over 15k but it's fitted out nicely and doesn't look like it's been abused (factory RDL also 8-) )

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... 51&sdmvc=1
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Clemzstar on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:02 pm

Thanks for the link Har05l

Forgot to mention 1 very important thing ... the missus wants to drive as well and she wants it auto :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If only i can just get it manual, theres tons cheaper than auto unfortunately!
Clemzstar

Postby har05l on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:14 pm

Teach her how to drive a manual :twisted:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Return to General Discussion