Adding A Rearview Mirror Camera - Installation Cost

Adding A Rearview Mirror Camera - Installation Cost

Postby troyboy on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi Guy's

New Triton Owner ... 1st Post ... Loving My First 4x4.

I have a question....I have searched and read other posts, but my question is more about cost of installation.

I've decided to install a rear view camera to my MN GLX-R. I'm keen on the "Parkmate RVM-043DVR" which also incorporates a front crash cam. My first priority is to get a rear view cam and the crash cam is just a bonus. I've been to see a few installers such as JB Hi-Fi, Autobarn, Strathfield & Local Auto Elec's and it seems the installation cost is larger than the cost of the camera/monitor itself.

JB have this unit for $199 (half price) at the moment (Just the monitor, no rearview cam, that's extra): (https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-audio ... am/458485/)

And Strathfield have it for $479 Installed......Yet this seems the cheap option.....

I was also after some reversing sensors, but that brings the Strathfield deal to $750 Installed and JB wont drill into the bumper so no price from them. (http://www.strathfieldonline.com.au/spe ... -31st-2014)

Does this sound about right?

I was also told from Strathfield that if I wanted sensors they can only put in two (one each side) as the cirular part of the rear bumper plays with them and there is no room for four?

What is peoples opinion on this? Is it over the top or the norm?

Cheers
Troy

PS: Loving The Forum ... The Pics & The Stories .... Learning Lots!
Former 2014 MN GLX-R Triton Owner ....Never Again!
troyboy

Re: Adding A Rearview Mirror Camera - Installation Cost

Postby mickik on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:19 am

Mate I dont know why it would be so expensive it took me just over an hour to fit myself its an easy job.
mickik
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:23 am

I've done three reverse camera installations in HiAce vans this week. Charged $320 each.

Done properly, with all wiring fully secured behind trim panels and wiring terminated with multi-pin plugs, each one takes a little over 3 hours. Triton wouldn't be all that much different, perhaps a little easier, but they have to average it out and some cars can be quite difficult.
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: HiAce, not HiLux.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby fairmontpsbf on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:27 am

Gday Troy

Like mickik, I picked one up from Repco, $130, and fitted it in an hour or so, works a treat and is great when hitching up the Jayco. Ran the cables down inside the chassis rail, used a nice length of yellow tongue assist getting a draw line through. If you so that, slip in a second AV lead, just in case you want to put a camera on the back of a van or camper etc

Mirror and camera are those imported unbranded types, they can be found on Ebay a lot cheaper, just clicks on top of the existing mirror.

Cheers

Tony
fairmontpsbf
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kitemanwest aussie on Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:15 pm

An hour eh?
I can make it from Canberra to Sydney in 16 seconds too
kitemanwest aussie

Postby troyboy on Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:35 am

Hi guys....thanks for the feedback...it gives me some more options......
troyboy

Postby cookie1 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:23 am

Troyboy, any more info on what you chose to do? I'm thinking of putting one in my 2011 challenger, the missus finds it hard to reverse!

Tony, did your camera pickup a lead from the reversing light to turn it on? Much of a challenge running the cable across the roof and down the pillar?

cheers
cookie1

Postby troyboy on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:53 am

Hey Cookie ..... Troy not Tony ;-)

I had Strathfield install the "Parkmate RVM-043DVR Premium DVR OEM Style 4.3’’ Rearview Mirror Monitor"

It is a front recording camera/monitor/mirror in one. It also allows you to hook up 1 or 2 external cameras. I obviously had one hooked up to the rear of the vehicle just above the number plate. I had to purchase a separate camera for that. I got the "Parkmate CDD-28KN" rear view camera which has night vision and parking lines. The camera is powered via the reverse lights.

It comes with an 8GB micro SD card that fills up in around 2-2.5 hours of driving. It then records over the oldest file (configurable). I'll be purchasing a 32GB card for it today. That will allow me to keep more data before its over written.
troyboy

Postby troyboy on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:55 am

cookie1 wrote:Much of a challenge running the cable across the roof and down the pillar?

The installer told me it runs under the car with the rest of the car wiring.
troyboy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:53 pm

Troy I think you'll find the Tony references were to another poster before you.

The roof/pillar cable run is pretty easy. The pillar trims pop off and for the roof lining you take off the visor and a trim clip. and maybe another screw and just peel the front bit back enough to stick the wire in. You'll find two little slots above the mirror in the lining that look like they were made for letting wire through (they probably were) so you can get the wire back out neatly without cutting the lining or anything.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby uhuforrest on Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:57 pm

Hi, can anyone provide feedback on quality of the parkmate gear fitted? Thinking of doing the same but looking for some reviews, thanks
uhuforrest
Platinum Subscriber

Postby troyboy on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:24 am

I'm happy with the unit except for one annoying feature. When the 32GB SD card fills up (after about 5-6 hours) the camera beeps 5 times (takes about 10 seconds) to tell you that the SD card is full and its overwriting the oldest files.

This is annoying because once the card is full, every time you start the car up, it beeps for 10 seconds. Might sound like a whinge, but if you heard how loud it was and you heard it every time you started your car, you would get the sh1ts too. I was hoping to find a firmware update for it but chasing Parkmate for answers has fallen on deaf ears.

What I do is when it starts beeping, I will reformat the card, gives me 5 days piece and quiet before it starts again.

Other than that .... pretty happy with it, if Parkmate fixed that issue I would give it 8.5/10 ... Can record front and back at the same time (permanent power required to rear camera), in car audio recording is good also.

Hope that helps
troyboy

Postby jman on Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:44 pm

I went for the Germid replacement mirror with reverse sensors, plus the added tyre pressure monitor hard wired. Didn't want another screen in the cabin. Went for this as it had a decent warranty and name. Great quality, all up costs a bit less than oem mirror plus sensors. Would def recommend it. Heaps of other options also.

Lots seem happy with eBay jobs for much cheaper, but have heard bad things about the wireless jobs. I just wanted it to work without problems and so far so good.
Cheers- Jman
jman

Postby tritonliz on Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:46 pm

troyboy wrote:Hi Guy's

New Triton Owner ... 1st Post ... Loving My First 4x4.

I have a question....I have searched and read other posts, but my question is more about cost of installation.

I've decided to install a rear view camera to my MN GLX-R. I'm keen on the "Parkmate RVM-043DVR" which also incorporates a front crash cam. My first priority is to get a rear view cam and the crash cam is just a bonus. I've been to see a few installers such as JB Hi-Fi, Autobarn, Strathfield & Local Auto Elec's and it seems the installation cost is larger than the cost of the camera/monitor itself.

JB have this unit for $199 (half price) at the moment (Just the monitor, no rearview cam, that's extra): (https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-audio ... am/458485/)

And Strathfield have it for $479 Installed......Yet this seems the cheap option.....

I was also after some reversing sensors, but that brings the Strathfield deal to $750 Installed and JB wont drill into the bumper so no price from them. (http://www.strathfieldonline.com.au/spe ... -31st-2014)

Does this sound about right?

I was also told from Strathfield that if I wanted sensors they can only put in two (one each side) as the cirular part of the rear bumper plays with them and there is no room for four?

What is peoples opinion on this? Is it over the top or the norm?

Cheers
Troy

PS: Loving The Forum ... The Pics & The Stories .... Learning Lots!

Did you end up getting the reverse camera fitted, if so where and were you happy with it? Asking as it is my next mod and I live in Sydney area so wondering where you got it done and what it cost? Thanks Liz.
tritonliz

Postby troyboy on Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:39 pm

Hi Liz

Got it done through Strathfield Car Radio. They come to you,so installed it in the car park at work. Took about 2 hours. Pretty happy with it, just wish the camera dint beep every time the SD card becomes full....Its annoying!

Just looked at their website and they don't seem to have any specials at the moment. It was $520 installed I think.
troyboy

Return to Electrical