GLX vs GLS: Is a Centre Diff Lock Redundant with E-Lockers?

Anything Triton 2016+ related

GLX vs GLS: Is a Centre Diff Lock Redundant with E-Lockers?

Postby ROBTON on Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:47 pm

Looking to buy an MQ and hoping you can help.

The only thing appealing to me about the GLS is the centre locking differential. Is this feature redundant if my aim is to put front and rear e-lockers on anyway?
ROBTON

Re: GLX vs GLS: Is a Cetre Diff Lock Useless with Lockers?

Postby ag9111 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:57 pm

No
the centre diff locks allow 50:50 front to rear torque delivery. The centre diff lock allows running in 4H on hard surfaces.
You still need cross axle diff locks to delivery torque across the axle left to right. This allows better traction in the slippery stuff and should not be activated on hard surfaces.
they perform completely different functions
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Re: GLX vs GLS: Is a Centre Diff Lock Redundant with E-Locke

Postby ROBTON on Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:01 pm

So with the GLX it's not possilbe to run 4H on hard surfaces?
ROBTON

Postby moses on Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:03 pm

Correct

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ROBTON on Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:05 pm

And how much of a difference you think this would make offroad? Being able to lock the centre 50/50? What's the distribution like on the GLX? 60R/40F?
ROBTON

Postby Dilligara on Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:10 pm

No difference off road, massive difference in wet bitumen etc, anytime traction is marginal eg wet Bitumen any gravel road etc, its straight into 4H open centre diff, It was the single thing that pushed me to the triton
Andrew - White MY17 Auto.
Dilligara

Postby ag9111 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:59 pm

Super select is the most underrated feature of the Triton.
Once you feel the extra stability it provides in marginal traction you are hooked.

the glx is permanent 50:50. I dont know the ratio with the super select unlocked

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:14 pm

The only thing that would enhance the super select would be the ability to run the centre diff open in low range.

Has anyone investigated whether the range and locking of the transfer could be operated independently in the mq?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby striker99 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:33 pm

Dilligara wrote:No difference off road, massive difference in wet bitumen etc, anytime traction is marginal eg wet Bitumen any gravel road etc, its straight into 4H open centre diff, It was the single thing that pushed me to the triton

I agree completely, I live in an area with dodgy roads and horrendous weather events at times, was the main feature that drew me to getting a Triton in particular the GLS model.
striker99

Postby ROBTON on Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:19 pm

It seems as though my only advantage would be that I could drive on hard surfaces with 4H.

Probably best for me to stick with the GLX and put those saved dollars towards something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ROBTON

Postby Perthcoms on Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:02 pm

I got the gls auto for 37k drive away when they were trying to get 36500 for a glx plus both brand new worth seeing what you can get the gls for
Perthcoms

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:23 am

If you can afford it, the all wheel drive is worth every cent on ute style vehicle.

The vehicle is hardly upset when hitting large puddles of water on the bitumen and

more predictable in lots of situations.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:47 am

RHKTriton wrote:The only thing that would enhance the super select would be the ability to run the centre diff open in low range.

Has anyone investigated whether the range and locking of the transfer could be operated independently in the mq?

My personal opinion is that the whole 'super select' setup is a bit of a gimmick. AWD is great but why even bother making RWD an option?

RWD in turbo-diesels fitted with TC can be dangerous. More than a few people have found themselves stranded half-way through an intersection because they booted it to beat the traffic, had 'super selected' 2WD and found the TC shutting the engine down on them.

They should take a layer of complexity out of it and banish the 2WD option. The idea that it saves tyre wear and fuel running in 2WD is ridiculous. It doesn't by any measurable amount.

If Mits then made it possible to use low-range in AWD (centre diff open) then overnight they'd have caught up with where other manufacturers were 20 years ago and could call it AWESOME SELECT.

And AWESOME SELECT would be super ;)
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ROBTON on Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:25 am

Steane wrote:If Mits then made it possible to use low-range in AWD (centre diff open) then overnight they'd have caught up with where other manufacturers were 20 years ago

Could you provide some examples of vehicles with this system?
ROBTON

Postby Steane on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:17 am

ROBTON wrote:
Steane wrote:If Mits then made it possible to use low-range in AWD (centre diff open) then overnight they'd have caught up with where other manufacturers were 20 years ago

Could you provide some examples of vehicles with this system?

Defenders and some Discovery models since 1992
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ROBTON on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:21 am

I've always coveted the Land Rovers, but I'm told you need to have a pretty decent wallet to own one if something was to go wrong.

What would you use low-range in AWD for? What would be its practical benefits?
ROBTON

Postby Steane on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:30 am

ROBTON wrote:I've always coveted the Land Rovers, but I'm told you need to have a pretty decent wallet to own one if something was to go wrong.

What would you use low-range in AWD for? What would be its practical benefits?

Anything on hard surfaces that benefits from low gearing and additional torque. Towing, reversing trailers and boats up steep drives etc. Saves clutches and transmissions.

Nothing goes wrong with Land Rovers... :P
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:36 pm

I find it amusing that those that have never had super select dont see its worth.
Its a funny feeling but after going from RWD to AWD in the heavy rain, the vehicle just seems to settle and become stable. So much so that Michelle was driving one day in the rain. I put it into AWD and she commented on how different it felt.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jacobie on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:42 pm

Not really sure about or have much knowloedge on the super select. But I have a 2013 MN GLX-R with it and when the centre diff is "Locked" (4LLC) I can get further then my mate in a MN GLX and my mate with a Lux with an LSD, so I can personally see the benefit and worth of it.

The GLX as soon as it lifts a wheel will spin and go nowhere, my lux mate will eventually get through and for me with TC on it goes really well.

So I gather the GLX's have changed now if they always have a 50:50 in torque comapred to the mn GLX?
2013 MN GLX-R

Build Thread: Jacobie's 2013 MN GLX-R
Jacobie

Postby snowman on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:57 pm

ag9111 wrote:I find it amusing that those that have never had super select dont see its worth.
Its a funny feeling but after going from RWD to AWD in the heavy rain, the vehicle just seems to settle and become stable. So much so that Michelle was driving one day in the rain. I put it into AWD and she commented on how different it felt.

Amen brother. :|
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:36 pm

snowman wrote:
ag9111 wrote:I find it amusing that those that have never had super select dont see its worth.

Amen brother. :|

Hallelujah!

Hang on...

I've got a Paj with Super Select and I cannot see the point to ever running it in RWD. What is gained by doing this besides being able to 'select' AWD at some stage for kicks.

All the drive components up front are still rotating, no wear is being saved, there is just no torque being put through to the front in 2H.

I see plenty of value in AWD especially in a vehicle fitted with traction control, but I can't for the life of me see any point to being able to select RWD when AWD is available in a 4X4 or SUV.

Forget the saving fuel and tyre wear myths, that's a barely measurable benefit at best. Selectable 2H when AWD is available is a gimmick.

This bloke agrees with me - https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/mitsubishis-super-select-4x4-system-explained/
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:37 pm

The comments by myself and Garth are not so much about your pessimism of 2wd but the benefits of AWD which I thought was more the tone of the thread.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:10 pm

My fuel economy jumps by about 1.5 km/100 in AWD, otherwise I would run it all the time.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hewy hacket on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:44 pm

Hang on...I've got a Paj with Super Select and I cannot see the point to ever running it in RWD. What is gained by doing this besides being able to 'select' AWD at some stage for kicks.

circle work just is'nt the same with AWD
The grass is only greener where you water it.
hewy hacket

Postby veom on Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:59 am

I have super select in my ML. I use the AWD drive mode in the wet and when towing, otherwise I'll have it in RWD. I think it makes the car a fair bit safer in the wet, I don't have traction control so maybe that's why I like it as well.

When going offroad I normally just leave the centre diff unlocked, until I feel like I really need it. I remember reading somewhere in AWD mode it keeps about 30% of the power at the front and 70% at the rear, but it does fluctuate. Maybe someone else can confirm?
veom

Next

Return to General Discussion