Triton as a family car and tow vehicle

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Triton as a family car and tow vehicle

Postby Uxxo on Sun May 28, 2017 11:42 pm

Hi all,
I am considering a dual cab Triton as a family car and tow vehicle. Initially I was going for an Outlander diesel or a Hyundai Santa Fe, and now I am starting to think that a dual cab with a canopy is probably a better option. I tow a boat quite regularly (approx. 5,000km/year towing) and the extra space in the tray would be handy on long trips and to carry bulky diving and fishing gear.
This would be my first dual cab, so I am a bit concerned about being too big as a daily drive (I live in Perth) and the lack of room on the second row. I need to be able to fit two booster seats and one child seat. My current car is a Ford Falcon, and the three child seats at back are not a problem, but the Falcon is 6cm wider than a Triton and has more leg room.
Does anyone use a Triton as a family car? Any suggestions?
Uxxo

Re: Triton as a family car and tow vehicle

Postby dieselweasel on Mon May 29, 2017 12:45 am

What model are you keen on? I have an ml and have one child seat in the middle. The points to secure child seating are as far as I know, just one point behind left and right passenger seat. I managed to get my boys seat into the middle by using both tie down points, the official clip on one and a stainless D shackle on the other. Yes this isn't legal but it's tightened with molegrips and is pretty much a hundred times stronger than the clip that comes with the chair. It's not a tight squeeze for one middle chair, with a booster seat on each side it would take some getting used to but the kids would have a nice view! How tall are you? I'm 6'4 and there is no way on this green and blue earth that I could drive without my seat shoved all the way back and leaning back too, I have a seat spacer on the front two legs of the drivers seat so I may be borrowing more than normal from the footwell behind me. You could always turn your tray into a child's ballpit and then they would never want to sit inside. No wait. Don't do that. What about a dress rehearsal, go to a dealers, enquire about the vehicle and just sit the chairs in the rear and then you'll get a good idea of space. Hope I provided you with some food for thought
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon May 29, 2017 7:00 am

I use my MN for this purpose. It has accommodated 2 child seats, a load of gear and towed a van. I fitted parking sensors to the rear, which makes it far more maneuverable when parking in town.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 98kellrs on Mon May 29, 2017 7:06 am

I live in Perth too and bought a 2014 Triton Dual cab with a canopy for the exact same reason as you are. So far it's been brilliant; I haven't found it too big around Perth at all. I recommend Caddy Storage in Canning Vale for Canopies, vastly superior in quality, features and price than some of the big brand names IMO.

If you can, get one that is 2014+ as these come with isofix points which make fitting a seat so simple. It's literally two clicks and it a third over the top of the seat.

My wife and I looked at all the other 4WD dual cabs and the Triton has the biggest rear seating area of any of them, so you'll have plenty of room. Most dealers will be happy to let you bring yur child seats to test though, and if not chuck me a message and you're welcome to test on mine.
98kellrs

Postby davo94 on Mon May 29, 2017 8:58 am

We have a MY17 Manual GLS and we also have a booster and two child seats. We also tow a camper trailer from time to time and we are very happy with our triton. Plenty of room for the kids across the back. We're about to ditch the booster seat as the oldest doesn't need to be in one anymore.

Great value ute for the price and very much under rated
My17 GLS Manual. Impulse Blue
davo94

Postby Uxxo on Mon May 29, 2017 7:25 pm

Thanks guys, I think that I will take my child seats to a dealer and see how they fit. I am looking at a MQ GLX or GLX+ auto, hopefully this new engine is not affected by overheating issues as the previous versions as I will be towing on a regular basis.
Uxxo

Postby Uxxo on Mon May 29, 2017 7:34 pm

98kellrs wrote:I live in Perth too and bought a 2014 Triton Dual cab with a canopy for the exact same reason as you are. So far it's been brilliant; I haven't found it too big around Perth at all. I recommend Caddy Storage in Canning Vale for Canopies, vastly superior in quality, features and price than some of the big brand names IMO.

These canopies looks good. Will definitely pay them a visit if I go ahead with a dual cab!
Uxxo

Postby Michael.Finch on Tue May 30, 2017 6:33 pm

Uxxo wrote:Thanks guys, I think that I will take my child seats to a dealer and see how they fit. I am looking at a MQ GLX or GLX+ auto, hopefully this new engine is not affected by overheating issues as the previous versions as I will be towing on a regular basis.

Totally new engine. Been out for a year and a half now and no issues yet that i've been able to find. Very happy with my new one.

:-)

Mike
Michael.Finch

Postby kouta666 on Wed May 31, 2017 2:34 pm

It's not too big mate. I've got a lift and bigger tyres. The higher view is awesome in traffic. The ability to drive over gutters and traffic islands is also handy in grid lock traffic. The bullbar keeps people away.

Though I'm in Brisbane and nearly every second car up here is a lifted dual cab :lol:
kouta666

Postby Merts on Wed May 31, 2017 3:17 pm

My previous few cars were all wagons. A 1993 Pajero, a 2003 Nissan X-trail, and then a 2006 Pajero. They were all good things and did the daily driver gig well. When I was looking to replace the last Pajero, I wanted something I could set up with drawers, fridge etc so that it was easy to just jump in it and head bush on a whim. When I looked at doing drawers and my 60 litre ARB fridge in the back of a wagon, there was bugger all room left for putting anything else in the back. That started me looking at twin cabs, and the MQ stood out for value for money.

I find it's pretty good as a daily driver, and whilst it is fairly long, I can get it in and out of carparks without too much drama. (The reversing camera helps). The ride on mine is fairly firm and can be a tad harsh on rough surfaces, but that's probably to be expected with light truck tyres and suspension set up for carrying near GVM loads and towing.

All in all, I'm happy with it, and don't regret going down this path rather than sticking with a wagon.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby braydenc on Wed May 31, 2017 3:38 pm

2 Kids and dual cab owner here to never had a issue im 6,2 so Im a little tight on leg room but other then that amazing cars
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Return to General Discussion