Securing a Pelican Case or Steel tool box to tub?

Anything Triton related

Securing a Pelican Case or Steel tool box to tub?

Postby TheSheepKed on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:54 pm

Just wondering if anyone has secured a pelican case or steel tool box to their tub and how they did it?
My tub has a tub liner too so I'm not sure how to do it. I've thought about bolting it to one of the tie-down points or make some brackets to bolt to the steel rear window protector.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/pelican-620 ... e_p5810715
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Produc ... ist-anchor

Click to view larger picture
TheSheepKed

Re: Securing a Pelican Case or Steel tool box to tub?

Postby Ray57MQ on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:51 am

Looked at rivet nuts ?, used these in stainless steel sizes M6 to M20 on switchboards etc where unable to access rear to fit a nut & will use these again in stainless steel when I fit drawers.
Wide range and sizes available in s/steel, zinc plated and aluminium on ebay etc.
eg ; https://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome-m1 ... t_p5910353
Don’t take life so seriously, it isn’t permanent
Ray57MQ

Postby TheSheepKed on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:53 am

Thanks for the idea. I'd prefer not to drill into the tub though. Looking for a non-permanent solution but also relatively secure. Not going to have too expensive things in there, just ropes, some hand tools, clothes etc.
TheSheepKed

Postby dieselweasel on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:02 am

Where abouts on the tray do you want it to sit?
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Postby TheSheepKed on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:03 am

dieselweasel wrote:Where abouts on the tray do you want it to sit?

Happy for it to sit anywhere along the side of the tub. Preferably right at the back facing out towards the tail gate but whatever works.
TheSheepKed

Postby dieselweasel on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:52 am

Would you put four little holes in the tub liner?
dieselweasel

Postby TheSheepKed on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:08 pm

dieselweasel wrote:Would you put four little holes in the tub liner?

I guess that wouldn't hurt but I could see someone just ripping it straight out of the plastic. Tub liner doesn't feel very sturdy to me.
TheSheepKed

Postby dieselweasel on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:15 pm

Just my tuppence here, i would probably get some aluminium bar from bunnings, cut into two bits the length of the tool chest. Drill four holes, one at each end and use these as a template to drill up into the base of the chest. Then use the holey chest base to position onto your tub liner and mark the holes with a white paint pen. Get these holes drilled. Tub liner will have to come off to hold bolt steady. So you've got the hard bit done. Just bolt up through the chest with washers. Extreme option would be to cut another two bits of the bar and use these on the inside of the chest in the same position, this way it'll be pretty secure in case you do get onto those bumpy tracks or someone feels like they wanna rip it out somehow. The pressure will be spread well instead of just on the bolt holes so your tub liner wont rip. I

Its just my idea in what I'd do, there's probably a better way but we could start the ball rolling this way?

Cheers
NeilClick to view larger picture
dieselweasel

Postby TheSheepKed on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:24 pm

dieselweasel,
That's actually a really good idea. I can live with drilling the tub liner but probably not the tub itself.
I like it - the concept is similar to that of installing a roof rack cage to the roof racks.
I'll head to Bunnings and get a couple measurements.

How could we make the bolts permanently bonded to the tub liner? i.e. if I install the bolts to the tub liner, I don't want to have to remove the tub liner every time I want to move the box out since the bolts might fall out the opposite end into the area between the tub liner and the actual tub.
TheSheepKed

Postby dieselweasel on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:33 pm

Steel bar. Steel bolts and a couple of dots of weld?
dieselweasel

Postby TheSheepKed on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:41 pm

dieselweasel wrote:Steel bar. Steel bolts and a couple of dots of weld?

Don't own a welder unfortunately. I was thinking, put a nut on the upper side of the bolt so that it can't slip down and then recess that nut into some rubber feet so that the box has something to sit on too?
TheSheepKed

Postby dieselweasel on Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:00 pm

Sounds good, maybe use a tap and die set to put a thread into the bar holes, this should be an extra assurance that the bolt won't turn (as long as the holding bolt remains tight)
dieselweasel

Postby TheSheepKed on Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:24 pm

dieselweasel wrote:Sounds good, maybe use a tap and die set to put a thread into the bar holes, this should be an extra assurance that the bolt won't turn (as long as the holding bolt remains tight)

So I've come up with a better idea that requires no drilling.
The box sits pretty flush against the side of the tub near a tie down point. If I install one of these U brackets by bolting it onto the box (Loc-Tite etc.), I can put a padlock through both the tie down point and the bracket.
Not 100% secure and I'd need some rubber matting under the box to prevent slip but it's a pretty neat option.
Thoughts?

TheSheepKed

Postby snakesoup on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:09 pm

Why dont you want to drill holes in the tub?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby TheSheepKed on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:16 pm

snakesoup wrote:Why dont you want to drill holes in the tub?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Just prefer not to in case we sell it in the future and the next owner isn't keen on holes in their tub. Also just want it to be easily removed when I need more space in the tub so not a permanent fixture. Just enough that someone walking by can't grab it and run.
TheSheepKed

Postby dieselweasel on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:25 pm

Tricky one.... Im not sure what you mean about the padlock thing, i can't visualise what you're saying. I'm not totally sure of other options without a few cheeky holes in metal
dieselweasel

Postby TheSheepKed on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:42 pm

dieselweasel wrote:Tricky one.... Im not sure what you mean about the padlock thing, i can't visualise what you're saying. I'm not totally sure of other options without a few cheeky holes in metal

This is the best I can do in terms of drawing. I am terrible at it. But basically it's like putting a tie down point on the back of the box and then lining both of the hoops together in a line and putting a padlock through both so they're stuck together.
If you make a circle with your thumb and index finger with your left and right hand and then place the circles on top of one another and then padlock that, that's what I'm going for.
TheSheepKed

Postby Ray57MQ on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:17 pm

TheSheepKed wrote:Thanks for the idea. I'd prefer not to drill into the tub though. Looking for a non-permanent solution but also relatively secure. Not going to have too expensive things in there, just ropes, some hand tools, clothes etc.

With the rivet nuts, when you remove whatever to sell the vehicle, the rivet nuts only sit up couple a mm - just insert low profile screws/bolts to fill thread, painted colour of the liner hardly noticeable - lot better than a hole.
Otherwise, in my XR6 ute I sat a sheet of marine ply in it over the liner - cut the ply to suit around wheel arches and pallet inserts and then screwed/bolted tool boxes to marine ply.
Bloody heavy but waterproof, put thieves off and the weight of this replaced the sandbags i had there to assist with the ride.
Don’t take life so seriously, it isn’t permanent
Ray57MQ

Postby dieselweasel on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:01 pm

I getcha now, i didnt realise the mn had middle tie down points, my ML just has one in each corner but i spose with the oversized tray, more is good. Are you going to be using the u clamps pictured below?

You could use that for the middle tie down point on the left top of the chest and if you fit another on the right hand side, you could just bungee cord thst one to the rear tie down point so it won't move about as you zoom about.Click to view larger picture
dieselweasel

Postby TheSheepKed on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:19 pm

dieselweasel wrote:I getcha now, i didnt realise the mn had middle tie down points, my ML just has one in each corner but i spose with the oversized tray, more is good. Are you going to be using the u clamps pictured below?

You could use that for the middle tie down point on the left top of the chest and if you fit another on the right hand side, you could just bungee cord thst one to the rear tie down point so it won't move about as you zoom about.Click to view larger picture

Good idea, minimise movement.
I was thinking of using the U-clamps I posted above in the picture but those also look pretty good. Means the attachment is on the inside rather than the outside i.e. can't unscrew it from the outside.
TheSheepKed

Postby TheSheepKed on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:54 am

dieselweasel, Thinking I might just strip the whole tub liner. Bit scared to see what it looks like underneath. Also have no idea how to take it out since the frame for the soft cover is riveted over the top of the edge of the tub liner. The tub liner is loose behind the frame but it would mean I would have to bend it or something?
TheSheepKed

Postby TheSheepKed on Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:27 pm

I'm struggling to get the tub liner out. It's under lip design and I've tried prying it from the middle using a long stick but it just won't come out
TheSheepKed

Postby dieselweasel on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:59 pm

I dont have a tub liner, i have no idea how they fit or removal or anything, I'm sure someone on here will pipe up about liner removal but the footy might delay things a bit
dieselweasel

Postby TheSheepKed on Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:08 pm

All good. I managed to get it out somehow - basically brute force and a lot of frustration.
Here's your original idea put into action. I decided a side tool box was unsightly and wasn't big enough anyway.
It took a couple of hours but it seems sturdy and unless someone plans on removing my tub liner, it's just as secure as bolting it to the base.

Here are some pictures.
Before
3/8 inch holes drilled into steel strips
TheSheepKed

Postby Duck on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:43 pm

Loks good, I have spent to much time thinking about how to makes
things removable for when I want. But find on e its in/on I never remove it.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Next

Return to General Discussion