Mystery Engine Rattle

Anything Triton related

Mystery Engine Rattle

Postby Stockheim on Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:45 pm

Hi people, love my 2014 MN Triton, only had it around 5 months, bought it in immaculate condition from a one owner with 63k on the clock. Last few weeks I have noticed every now and then on cold start ups, a strange rattling sound coming from the upper front area of the engine, it goes away in 5 or 10 minutes. Took it to a mechanic today, but alas the noise would not present itself? He said it could be injector knock!! that's a major worry! I will link a Youtube clip where the noise can be clearly heard. Love to hear any suggestions. Cheers

https://youtu.be/0iSUXgPC7sA
Stockheim

Re: Mystery Engine Rattle

Postby JoanTheSpark on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:24 am

have the services being done?
have you had the plastic cover off and checked all bolts/parts on the engine are tight when engine is cold?
JoanTheSpark

Postby Stockheim on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:44 am

Thanks mate, yep tried all those things. Service was done 4k ago, nothing unusual noted. Injector performance report was normal? Thought I had found the cause of the rattle when I removed the cover after the service and an 8mm bolt that is meant to hold a pipe bracket was sitting in a nearby well!! bingo!! I thought, put it back in, but alas rattle remained. Cheers
Stockheim

Postby JoanTheSpark on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:32 pm

Hm, I would run it and (without getting into belts/fanblades) hold/push on anything I could put my hands on to see if the rattling stops when I do this.
Did they adjust valve clearance on the last service? It would mean they had the manifold and top cover of the engine removed. Lot's of bolts.
JoanTheSpark

Postby Stockheim on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:25 pm

No tappet adjustment happens next service. Might try your suggestion of applying pressure to bits while it's running though. Cheers
Stockheim

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:12 pm

Is the noise related to engine rpm? In the video it sound a bit random but would be different when you're standing next to it.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby darreljourgenson on Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:44 pm

Mate I hate to tell you but I had a similar noise in my 2011 Mn at 95,000 km, turned out to be am injector gone lean and ovaled a piston. Good news is youre probably still under warranty even as 2nd hand buyer, I got a complete new engine.

I'd say get it to a dealer asap

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
darreljourgenson

Postby Stockheim on Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:05 am

Wow Darrel - that's heavy. Did you notice any other symptoms? So far Mitsubishi are only saying bring it in, leave it for a few days and they will investigate. Did your rattle go away when it warmed up a bit? mine does. Mine is also completely random, some mornings yes, some no. Cheers and thanks for any more info.
Stockheim

Postby darreljourgenson on Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:23 pm

I never had any overheating or lights or loss of power or anything. Yeah it seemed kind of random when it was happening at first, but got worse and worse until I lost my nerve and pulled up to get it towed. Hope yours is something minor!

darreljourgenson

Postby rodeddy on Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:28 am

]Was this issue actually resolved , as I'm having have rattle now when cold...
Cheers,Rod
Last edited by rodeddy on Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
rodeddy

Postby rodeddy on Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:29 am

darreljourgenson wrote:I never had any overheating or lights or loss of power or anything. Yeah it seemed kind of random when it was happening at first, but got worse and worse until I lost my nerve and pulled up to get it towed. Hope yours is something minor!

Was this issue actually resolved , as I'm having have rattle now ?
Cheers,Rod
rodeddy

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:54 pm

rodeddy wrote:
darreljourgenson wrote:I never had any overheating or lights or loss of power or anything. Yeah it seemed kind of random when it was happening at first, but got worse and worse until I lost my nerve and pulled up to get it towed. Hope yours is something minor!

Was this issue actually resolved , as I'm having have rattle now ?
Cheers,Rod

The member you're asking hasn't been on the site since 28/12/2019.

You could try sending a PM. If he's set it up and he still has the same email then he should get a notification.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to General Discussion