2010 MN GLR double cab - roof leak

Anything Triton related

2010 MN GLR double cab - roof leak

Postby JoanTheSpark on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:51 am

It's raining in my area a lot lately and all of a sudden that Triton has got water on the passenger side carpets, and not just a bit, more the kind you expect for missing to close a window. :evil:

The problem turns out to be the sealant they put in between the roof panel and passenger side panel before they weld them together at points.
At the back, where the cover strip trim ends in that screwed on plastic piece, there is a hole for the screw.
The hole is not the problem, but the area around it must have somehow managed to make the sealant prone to cracking where the water comes down there. The right side also has a crack, but no water on the inside (yet).

Click to view larger picture

So the water flows along the trim and finally meets that crack and some of it then winds up on the inside.
You'll only notice this at the bottom, where the seatbelt is fixed in that corner by removing the carpet a bit.
For a full view of the action you have to remove the plastic covers in that corner.
From there the water naturally flows downhill along the sill till it's in the front. Everything in there gets soaked wet and a bit later rusty. :cry:

The syringe was for testing if the water really gets in through that crack.. and yes it does. I put my thumb underneath the crack and let the water sip onto it and nothing into the screw hole to the right of it. The puddle is what made it to the inside.

Click to view larger picture

Now I'm looking for some flexible, low viscosity sealant that is waterproof, that wicks/creeps into those voids and then cures flexible to close them.
Self leveling seam sealer seems the way to go at the moment. 3M, Wurth, Norton or Evercoat have those for like $50 for 200 ml. Way more than I need to fix this though.. :-(

Anyone any other bright ideas or experience with the seam sealer stuff?
JoanTheSpark

Re: 2010 MN GLR double cab - roof leak

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:17 am

Those panels are spot welded together and then the seam sealer is applied to the outside. It seems that on yours there just wasn't quite enough seam sealer at that point where it's failed.

Clean it up and reapply seam sealer to the outside of the joint.

While you're there, replace the gasket under the plastic plug. If you can't get a gasket then a bead of urethane under the lip of the plug will work.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby bayura on Mon May 06, 2019 8:43 pm

Hey. Write how you solved the problem. Did this procedure help you? I have the same problem with my car Triton 2008.
bayura

Postby JoanTheSpark on Mon May 06, 2019 11:24 pm

I solved that particular spot with some black polyurethane sealant for boats/etc from SC.
Cleaned the old white stuff out and put new stuff in generously. Worked well and was not visible, even without painting over it in car color.
But the car kept sitting in the sun (heat/cold cycles each day, midday/afternoon sun right onto that corner) and the leak is now located where the rear window meets that seem of the roof and side sheet on that side of the car.
I can hold a hose with a drip of water there on the window and get water inside.

Right now I have a heavy duty tarp over the top 20 cm of the car while the wet-sesaon winds down.
I'll have to cut the rear window out and do a proper sealing job down the road it seems as with the window in it's not doable properly.
And while I'm waiting on better weather for that I also started to build a carport, to keep the car out of the heat stress in future (and any other cars).

So yeah, if your's is leaking up there, no problem, solvable.
Just keep the car from being heat/cold cycled, as that seems to weaken the seals all over the place and you will have to repair more of them down the road.
JoanTheSpark

Return to General Discussion