Driving light wiring - MQ

Re: Driving light wiring - MQ

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:45 pm

Awesome! Thanks Rohan.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Rhamer on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:52 pm

I decided that the supplied Mitsubishi switch was poor quality and didn’t light as well as the AOB ones I had, so I decided to use an AOB one instead.

The AOB one however is wired differently internally, and so I had to modify it to be electrically the same as the Mitsubishi one.

So if anybody would like to do the same, here is what you have to do to make the AOB work on 3 wires and negatively switch.

Click to view larger picture

There are 2 tracks to cut, and 2 links to solder in.

Then the wiring that comes with the AOB switch is connected as follows.

Cut off the switch plug that comes with the loom.
Loom.->AOB
Black.->Black
Red-white.->Green & Blue
Red.->Red

The PIN numbers are different so be careful not to just plug the AOB switch into the supplied loom plug, it may well let all the smoke out.

2 other things I did whilst I was fiddling with the loom was;
Extend the switch wiring so I could put the switch over near the stability control switch and
Splice in 2 more AOB looms for center dash switches for other stuff.

Rohan
Rhamer

Wiring harness issue in 2017 MQ SE

Postby Tromac on Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:22 pm

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I've been reading and looking for answers but am at a standstill.

I have a new 2017 MQ Sports Edition with the HID lights. Purchased the Kings 7" LED driving lights and the wiring harness along with them. Initially I wired the lights using a tap into the fuse box but kept blowing the headlight fuse, the earth is connected to the main earth point in the engine bay and is a good connection. So the next step we did was to tap directly into the light green wire from the back of the left hand light. The result is the same, when the lights are on high beam and I flick the switch to the driving lights it blows the high beam fuse.

Would anyone be able to suggest what may be causing this? My friend who helped with the install seems to think that there is too many amps going through the fuse for too long and it's not dropping quick enough to open the switch.

Thanks,
Troy
Tromac

Re: Wiring harness issue in 2017 MQ SE

Postby Rhamer on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:10 am

Do you have a relay in the circuit?

The high beam tap can’t supply enough current to drive the lights directly. It should only be powering the relay coil.
The main power should be coming directly from the battery.

Rohan
Rhamer

Postby Tromac on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:42 am

Hi Rohan,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes there is a relay included in the circuit and it's connected to the battery for main power. Everything looks fine which is why I'm stumped. Well more so my mate who knows a hell of a lot more about electrical work then I do is stumped.

I tried the spare relay this morning and it didn't make a difference. Still blew the fuse.
Tromac

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:29 am

The wiring harness looks like this, right?

new-wiring-diagram-dl_4.jpg

If you are blowing fuses then either there is a fault (short) in the harness or you are connecting the wrong wire. If you've been connecting the wires marked "FUSE AND BATTERY TERMINALS" then you will get fuse blowing as you've experienced.

In that picture the bottom branch, marked "HEAD LIGHT CONNECTION" is the one that should be connected, either to the fuse box or to the wire at the back of the headlight. Connect the red wire to an add-a-fuse in the fuse box. Connect the black wire to an earth. You don't need the adaptors or the white plug on the end of that branch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Rhamer on Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:43 pm

Do you have a picture of the actual harness circuit?
What number fuse is blowing and what is it’s size?

As it happens I’m doing the same installation on my exceed right now and I have found a couple of little oddities that may be causing your troubles.

I’m using the factory harness with a few mods to better suit my needs.

Rohan
Rhamer

Postby Rhamer on Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:53 pm

I have actually done the installation now and it works as expected.

The dash lights work correctly, and the green indicator turns on when the lights are on and the switch is pressed.

But, as usual there is a trap. I wondered why the harness and switch came wired the way they did, and now I know.
The high beam circuit that is tapped into is driven both high and low. What that means is when high beam is off the circuit is pulled low and not just left floating. In turn this means the circuit will sink current and light the green indicator causing it to stay on with the switch off.

The solution is a diode in series with the switched ground output to stop current flowing when high beam is off.

I’ll do some more pictures when I get a minute.

Rohan
Rhamer

Postby Tromac on Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:29 pm

This is the loom to the lights, wired into the light green wire from the left hand high beam light. The negative goes to the main Earth point.
Another view

This is the relay

Main battery connection. The 40amp fuse is fine and hasn't blown.

Connectors on the Kings lights. I have a Narva wiring harness as well but it doesn't have the connectors to the lights to suit so I'd have to chop up the Kings harness.
Last edited by Tromac on Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tromac

Postby Tromac on Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:39 pm

Just saw this is in the wrong area, would a moderator please move to the 2015+ electrical. Also looks like it might be wired to the wrong light green cable? I just saw a post in the other topic about which wire.
Tromac

Postby Rhamer on Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:54 pm

Yep, your on the right connector, I thought it was wrong at first because I only saw part of your photo.

Also double check the connections on the back of the switch, you might have these mixed up.

Rohan
Rhamer

Postby Tromac on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:05 pm

So seeing this thread I suspect the issues with my wiring blowing fuses could be it's the wrong wire?
Tromac

Postby Rhamer on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:25 pm

The more I stare at it, the more I think you have the switch wiring mixed up and when you turn on the switch you are putting a direct short fron the headlight high beam to ground.

Does the fuse blow if the lights are off or on low beam and you operate the switch? I suspect not.

Rohan
Rhamer

Postby Tromac on Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:44 pm

Hey Rohan,

Really appreciate the thinking on this. It's driving me mad, I've been out and looked at it several times trying to rationalise where the problem could be. But I can't find it.

I checked the switch as well thinking that could be the issue. It's the one that comes with the King's wiring harness as per the image below and is connected the same way. I couldn't see anything on the switch to indicate positive and negative so I tried it with positive at the top and negative in the middle, opposite to how it was and what it shows in the image. Did the same thing, just blows the high beam fuse.

It only blows when I have the high beam on and then flick the driving lights switch. The answer to your question is no it doesn't do anything if I flick the switch with the lights off or on low.

I've given up at the moment as I'm out of 10amp fuses to replace.
Tromac

Postby Rhamer on Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:00 pm

Ok, for when you have more fuses.

Does the fuse blow if you disconnect the relay (just let the loom hang) and do the test? I think it will.

Have a look at the picture here and see if it matches https://marketing.4wdsupacentre.com.au/ ... arness.pdf

Rohan
Rhamer

Postby Rhamer on Wed May 02, 2018 6:53 pm

As promised here is the picture of the extra diode needed.

Note the track underneath the diode is cut.

It’s a bit of a fiddle, but the results are worth it, as the switch now fits in and looks factory.

Rohan
Rhamer

Postby Quinny on Wed May 02, 2018 7:02 pm

Rhamer wrote:it may well let all the smoke out.

I love that expression :lol: Done it a few times ... Great work mate ;)
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sandparkmark on Wed May 30, 2018 9:07 pm

jim80h wrote:I am wiring up my lightbar on my new GLS. A bit of investigating has uncovered a place to pick up a High beam trigger, without having to cut any wires. A close look at the fuse box near the battery reveals a terminal lug right next to the 2 high beam fuses. I have a photo, but am not sure how to post it. A small spade, or a modified normal spade terminal will go on. :mrgreen:

The terminal lug Jim is refering to. Easy pick up for high beam switching. I think it was a 3mm terminal that clips onto it. I have mine unlplugged in this pic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n4kpiwhwmrf4n ... 0.jpg?dl=0
sandparkmark

Postby dave63 on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:50 am

I just used a fuse tap on the high beam fuse in the engine compartment. I didnt even consider tapping into the high beam wire behind the light.
dave63

Postby bakthomas on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:12 am

So i read through all of this, seems like I am on the right path.
Just wanted to confirm, if I am using a piggyback adapter that is useless, I am going to hook the red wire up the the high-beam lug in the fuse box.
Where would I be connecting the black wire? just to earth?
bakthomas

Postby deadlyclown on Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:04 pm

bakthomas, yes you are on the right path. I have just finished installing 4wdsupacentre LED light bar (after using this thread).

Rang their 'help' line and was told just go to SuperCheap and they'll know what to give you. Um Autobarn said well ok, yeah you're going to have fun wiring that harness in.

I got the wiring harness, and tossed both adaptors, and attached red as per sandparkmarks picture. Then connected black to the earth bolt between headlight and fusebox.

My main reason for joining was just to post this reply.

4wdsupacentre harness is good and with just a couple of small mods (and no wire cutting) it actually went quite smoothly once I read this thread.

bakthomas, if you have any questions about the install let me know. I'm no pro but got it working and the wife likes her new light bar.
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: language
deadlyclown

Postby ra0231 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:52 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to fit a kings light bar using the 4WDsupacentre harness. The problem I'm having is the supplied wire that connects to the rear of the head light then back to the light bar harness do not fit, they are roughly the same shape and size but will not go in. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have a 2018 Black Edition Triton.

Thanks

Mark
ra0231

Postby xmanstauncher on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:00 am

Hey guys, with the genuine mitsubishi harness, can someone please tell me how to back out the terminal from the 4 way connector at step 7?
The light bar I bought has a deutsch style plug, and the harness has a different plug, what's the best (easiest) way to connect it up?

Cheers
xmanstauncher

Postby Rhamer on Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:12 pm

Typically the connectors used on the triton have 2 parts that are different colours
1 the main connector
2 the locking mechanism.

In this case the locking mechanism is the white bit. Grab it with a pair of long nose pliers and pull it out.
Then you will probably need to release each pin using a small jewellers screwdriver slid up beside the pin.
Takes a bit of practice, but once you’ve done a few, you get the hang of it.

Rohan
Rhamer

Postby xmanstauncher on Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:25 am

You're a legend Rohan, much appreciated.
xmanstauncher

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical