U1104 SAS CAN timeout/Not equipped - Will not reset

U1104 SAS CAN timeout/Not equipped - Will not reset

Postby tukadafoonday on Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:54 pm

ladies and gentleman,

got the error coming up U1104 SAS CAN timeout/Not equipped from the other morning.

This looks to be a fault with the CAN BUS not being able to be contacted. This error used to come up a bit from having the ODBII connector in; however, once the fault was reset the error would go away.

These days, the error is staying, even with no ODBII connected. Given this it is running quite rough (more vibration than normal). I believe the CAN BUS probably controls some of the things like variable geo turbo, fuel etc.

Maybe this is a loose connection to the ecu or somewhere else? Has anyone has this happen to them before and where should I start looking?

Thanks in advance.
tukadafoonday

Re: U1104 SAS CAN timeout/Not equipped - Will not reset

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:29 pm

Most of these codes are actually from the ECU scanning the canbus for attached devices. If it doesn't find every option it throws an error. The canbus is just the route the signals take between things like the ECU, the auto ECU, the RV meter, 4wd ECU and so on.

Unless you can find a canbus device that died or got disconnected, I'd look elsewhere for the running rough issue.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby tukadafoonday on Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:41 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Most of these codes are actually from the ECU scanning the canbus for attached devices. If it doesn't find every option it throws an error. The canbus is just the route the signals take between things like the ECU, the auto ECU, the RV meter, 4wd ECU and so on.

Unless you can find a canbus device that died or got disconnected, I'd look elsewhere for the running rough issue.

The car runs the same when it throws a code from having the ODBII connector installed. As soon as I usually reset it the car runs fine again. This time however, the fault does not want to reset which is strange, not to mention that it did it by itself rather than with the ODBII connector.

Not sure how I would find out what else is giving the code since the only code is the U1104. Interesting.
tukadafoonday

Postby Tony on Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:12 pm

U1104 is a soft code as looking for something not there. Is harmless and don't worry about it. 8-)

There is a possibility another code is still logged that is manufacturer specific and the generic scan tool/gauge is only seeing the soft code.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tukadafoonday on Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:16 pm

Tony wrote:U1104 is a soft code as looking for something not there. Is harmless and don't worry about it. 8-)

There is a possibility another code is still logged that is manufacturer specific and the generic scan tool/gauge is only seeing the soft code.

But the car running really rough and quite a rumbley idle can't be good, so the code behind it must be something. Better get it in there for some scanning!
tukadafoonday

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:52 pm

okay so it is saying it can't detect the steering wheel sensor. Whether that is because your model doesn't have one, or because yours is defective I don't know, but I can't think of a reason why you'd get a rough running engine from a steering wheel code. I'm also having trouble with the idea of an OBD device being plugged in that could produce a code that would make your engine run rough. How bad was this device ? :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby tukadafoonday on Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:31 pm

My bad guys.

I accidently had in my head u1104. It's actually u1109.

That would explain the steering wheel fault not making sense.
tukadafoonday

Return to Electrical