MQ Triton GLX - are fog blanks removeable ?

MQ Triton GLX - are fog blanks removeable ?

Postby Jackaroo on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:19 am

Greetings all -

Got a new MQ GLX with no fog lamps .
Considering putting something LED in there to act as daytime running and fog. save getting 2 sets of lamps.

- has anyone done this - ie used for both ?
- is there a mounting point somewhere in there -- Jaycar has some options for led lights 12v
- does the round blank come out or the whole square fog blank ?
- does the bumper have to be removed ???

thx...
Jackaroo

Re: MQ Triton GLX - are fog blanks removeable ?

Postby WUNSIE on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:45 pm

The blanks are only held in by them selves (moulded clips) Simply pull to remove the whole section then you can see how the inners are fixed off
WUNSIE

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:40 pm

Fog lights and DRLs have completely different beam patterns. A fog light throws a narrow, wide beam while a DRL has a beam pattern quite similar to that of a high beam, but at much reduced intensity. A single light can't perform both functions.

The blanks remove simply, as posted above, and there will be mountings in the back of the bar. Mountings are, almost always, proprietary. This is to try to force people to buy the genuine part, since it's the only one that fits. If you're good at fabrication you may be able to make an adaptor plate but, from experience, I can tell you that's not always a simple task, especially without an original one to use as a template.

If you live in an area that is subject to heavy fogs then fitting the genuine fogs is probably the easiest solution. For the other 90% of Australia where real fogs are uncommon then that would just be a waste of money. If you decide to go for DRLs then be careful that what you buy is designed for that purpose and meets the relevant specifications, i.e. the ADRs. Nothing I've seen at Jaycar meets the requirement so one of those, basically a flood or driving light, will just make you the most unpopular person on the road as you blind everyone else with glare.

You could fit lights without removing the bar but it only takes about 10 minutes and makes the job much easier.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby aybe on Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:51 pm

Also fog lights are activated with a switch.DRL's no switch they are to come on with ign/acc power then off when you turn on parkers/headlights.I went with Narva DRL's in my bulbar because they are in use every day.If you have no intention of getting a bulbar a very neat solution I think is posted here somewhere on an MN.Fit the foglights then above a row of single button DRL's.
aybe

Return to Electrical