how to get wiring through firewall MQ

how to get wiring through firewall MQ

Postby adam_kayla on Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:09 am

Hello All

Trying to find a route fro my UHF aerial and cannot see any spare firewall bungs.

Where did you poke through?
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Amended title to better reflect content.
adam_kayla

Re: firewall

Postby red dragin on Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:27 am

Missed the MQ part :oops:
2015 MN Triton Dual Cab 4x4 GLX

The wife is always complaining about it being too long.
They need to make bigger car parks :D
red dragin

Re: how to get wiring through firewall MQ

Postby adam_kayla on Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:18 pm

sorry i don't follow?
adam_kayla

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:44 pm

He replied with something relevant to ML/MN, then realised his mistake and changed it to an apology.

Easy mistake to make since your thread title was just "firewall" and the reason why I changed it.

I think the MQ has a similar setup to the earlier model with a big grommet on the left hand side of he firewall. Have a search for "firewall grommet" or something similar, then check if yours is similar.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby adam_kayla on Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:34 pm

Ah cheers mate

yes I ended up using the main grommet on the left.

Cheers
adam_kayla

Postby red dragin on Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:07 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:He replied with something relevant to ML/MN, then realised his mistake and changed it to an apology.

Yep. Give that man a medal. :D
2015 MN Triton Dual Cab 4x4 GLX

The wife is always complaining about it being too long.
They need to make bigger car parks :D
red dragin

Postby SinWolf on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:00 pm

Remove passenger front wheel arch inner cover... The main grommet is in there, and the grommet even has "spares" for additional cables :)
SinWolf

Postby milhous2 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:40 pm

I'm trying the passenger side on the weekend. Behind the glove box do you need to remove the trim on the other side? Any tips to getting the inner wheel arch cover off and doing this neatly would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
milhous2

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:27 am

The trim that could be removed to make it easier is the lower pillar trim.

It is pretty hard to access the grommet to cut the nipples to allow wires but there is a top and bottom nipple.

I only undid I believe one screw from the inner wheel arch and was able to manipulate the wires through from the top in through the grommet, easiest going from the engine bay into the vehicle, spray some lube on the cable to minimise the size hole in the grommet to keep out dust and water in the long term.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby milhous2 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:57 pm

Thanks. I've never removed the wheel arch before so this shall be interesting. Any photos showing which screws would be helpful. No problems on the glove box side can pull all that out easily. It does appear to be the best run for cables straight from the battery.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
milhous2

Firewall Grommets

Postby timmelb on Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:46 pm

Hi All. Firstly, great forum. So many helpful people with great info.
I've got a 2019 MR Triton and I can't find the firewall grommets to run the cables for a light bar. I've look & looked and just can't see them. Any hints? I had thought the two open circles on passenger side - but these are metal & hence would require drilling, which indicates to me they aren't grommets. Any location help is appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers. Tim
timmelb

Re: Firewall Grommets

Postby Nick Bagus on Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:47 am

timmelb wrote:Hi All. Firstly, great forum. So many helpful people with great info.
I've got a 2019 MR Triton and I can't find the firewall grommets to run the cables for a light bar. I've look & looked and just can't see them. Any hints? I had thought the two open circles on passenger side - but these are metal & hence would require drilling, which indicates to me they aren't grommets. Any location help is appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers. Tim

Hey Tim,

On the drivers side of the engine bay (left side if you're looking at the engine bay) there should be a round rubber hole that has already got some cabling running into it. That's your main grommet. Using a screwdriver or sharp knife, poke a little hole and then using some form of lubrication (once you've run your cabling neatly around the engine bay) you should be able to push your cable straight through the hole and then locate it in the drivers foot well behind the pedals. Hope that helps!

Having said all that, this is for an MQ, and I am making the assumption Mitsubishi haven't changed anything for the MR...
Nick Bagus

MQ firewall grommets/UHF install

Postby The Newmans on Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:00 pm

Hi all,
Iv tried having a quick search of the forum but unfortunately I wasn’t able to find anything regarding this for the MQ. Iv just ordered a UHF radio to install and had a quick scope of things tiday in regards to installation.
The battery is passenger side, I want to put the antenna on the passenger side and mount the head unit on the passenger side. Naturally I pulled the glove box out and popped the bonnet but was only able to see cables running through the front quarter panel and coming out through a rubber bonnet on the side if the car behind the glovebox.
I’d just like to confirm this is the only boot on the passenger side and if so, is there a trick to getting my couple of cables down there?
The Newmans

Re: MQ firewall grommets/UHF install

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:06 pm

I usually use 5 core trailer cable, put some tight fitting heat shrink on the end then shrink it so there's no sharp edges. Then lube it up with some Vaseline and push it through. The extra lines come in handy for all the other things that you think of later.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Re: MQ firewall grommets/UHF install

Postby andelect on Mon May 01, 2023 10:47 am

Below is copied content from previous posts regarding bulkhead gromments MQ

Remove passenger front wheel arch inner cover... The main grommet is in there, and the grommet even has "spares" for additional cables.

On the drivers side of the engine bay (left side if you're looking at the engine bay) there should be a round rubber hole that has already got some cabling running into it. That's your main grommet. Using a screwdriver or sharp knife, poke a little hole and then using some form of lubrication (once you've run your cabling neatly around the engine bay) you should be able to push your cable straight through the hole and then locate it in the drivers foot well behind the pedals.
andelect

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon May 01, 2023 5:19 pm

Topics merged so we can keep it all together.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Return to Electrical