16 MQ Triton - no stereo on hot days

16 MQ Triton - no stereo on hot days

Postby Neverrest on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:11 pm

Hi all,

First post and it's not the best one...

I've got 4100km on my 2016 MQ Triton dual cab, and on the last 2 weeks, during hot days, when i get into the car, the radio won't power up until air-con cools down the inside of the car.

I've already been through most of the posts in the forum and i cant find any similar accounts.

With work at the moment i REALLY cant afford losing a day at the dealership... this really sucks!

Anyone heard/experienced anything similar?

Cheers,
Cris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Neverrest

Re: 16 MQ Triton - no stereo on hot days

Postby explorer.dave on Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:14 pm

Maybe put a thermometer in your cab and record the max temp, then check the temp operating range of the stereo, if it is exceeding the max temp then most likely a safety shutoff relay. If not then you may only be looking at a few hours for the dealer to swap stereo's.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ray57MQ on Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:54 am

G'day Cris, welcome to the forum and no, not off to a good start.
From my initial MQ prob's and dealing with MMA & service dept's - as a new model you will most prob get the " have not seen this prob before" or when you go it will be a 22deg day and fault can't be repeated.. :D
Suggest you ring around first a few service Dept's and ask the question before you book it in.
I was parked outdoors the other day when outside temp here was 43 for a few hrs, got in car and I reckon was around 55> and didn't notice any prob with stereo - maybe a faulty unit as mentioned before.
good luck and hope not too much drama !
Don’t take life so seriously, it isn’t permanent
Ray57MQ

Postby jerrah on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:57 pm

Have you checked the fuse as listed in my thread?

viewtopic.php?f=101&t=20126
jerrah

Postby Neverrest on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:21 pm

Gents, thanks heaps for all your help.

Definitely going to try re-seating the fuse first thing tomorrow morning!!

Regarding the 'max' temperature thing, today it was 32 in the car, stereo didn't work. I called a few dealerships from my headphones while driving to tell them of the issue. Seems none of them heard of this issue.

Neverrest

Postby explorer.dave on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:07 pm

Sounds like "excuse the pun" you may be up for a new stereo, jerrah may well be on the money though with the fuse, 32 is no where near max temp. I had the stereo in my MN swapped out for a newbie under warranty, only took them 2 hours.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby murdochs on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:01 am

hey cris, had the exact same problem. When I went to go home from work, if the car was hot, the radio would not turn on, neither did the reverse camera come on. After about 10 minutes into the trip, the radio would just come on itself. after a while, I found that it was only in the afternoons, and when the car was hot.
Took it back to mitsubishi, and they just needed to reset the fuse. Haven't had a problem since.
Sean
murdochs

Postby Neverrest on Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:22 pm

Update: ok thanks heaps to everyone for the help!
Yellow fuse box thing (2 fuses inside it) was half out of it's location.
Pushed it in and so far so good.
Next week is a warm one so that's the true test.

Fingers crossed!
Thanks again

Neverrest

Postby jerrah on Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:26 pm

Neverrest wrote:Yellow fuse box thing (2 fuses inside it) was half out of it's location.
Seems to be a common problem. Makes you wonder what else they might miss from pre-delivery...

That said the radio seems to work most of the time without being pushed all the way in, I fail to see why they wouldn't fully assemble it from the factory?
jerrah

Postby Neverrest on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:55 pm

Third hot day in a row without the radio power loss issues. Longest it's gone so far; seems it was definitely the fuse connection.

Why the hell would the fuse be misplaced? And why would this happen for more than a couple of vehicles?
Makes me wonder if they pull the fuses out of the box while shipping the cars around the globe etc..

Neverrest

Return to Electrical