MQ GLS Triton and an illuminator light bar

MQ GLS Triton and an illuminator light bar

Postby anthonyw on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi guys,

I have been searching and searching to find the answer to my question.

I bought the 20'' slim LED light bar from 4wd Supacentre today with the wiring kit. The kit comes with H3 and H4 piggyback plugs, but the Triton doesn't use these plugs.
I want to connect the light to my high beams, but not sure how to go about it. Should I find the high beam wire and tap into it? Or can I go directly to the fuse box and use a fuse piggyback and wire it into there, then run the black cable to the chassis?
Should I set it on fire and claim an insurance job and buy one with a light bar already installed? It is probably simple, but want to double check.

The harness comes with a relay, fuse at the battery, rocker switch ect. just where to connect it?

Cheers

Anthony
anthonyw

Re: MQ GLS Triton and an illuminator light bar

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:49 pm

MQ GLS has the 25W HID system using a bixenon projector. This has just one bulb, in each light, and high beam is actuated by moving a flap from in front of the reflector to expose the full beam.

So, you're looking for the wire that carries the voltage, when high beam is selected, to activate the solenoid that moves the flap or shield. Look up the online manual and find the right colour then tap into that and use it to activate your relay. The rest of the harness can be used, as is.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby aquagen on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:37 am

viewtopic.php?f=101&t=19156&hilit=Spot+light+wiring&start=25

I haven't tried this, I used the factory harness
aquagen

Postby anthonyw on Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:32 am

Thanks guys!

I am confident I can sort this now.
I think I will pick up the spare fuse input that is described in the link.

I have installed a UHF and getting through into the cabin wasn't an issue. I used the grommet on the drivers side that has the main wiring loom and bonnet release cable running through it.
I used a very thin flat blade screw driver on the RHS (as you look at it from the bonnet) which is free. It has a small tab which I used, the used a thing piece of wire to run from the cabin to the engine bay to tape onto the aerial, and cable lube and it slid straight through. Nice and neat.

I think I will use the aerial cable to tie the switch cables into and use the same opening.

I will update once I have finished the install!

Thanks again
anthonyw

Postby anthonyw on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:23 pm

So I am all done now.

For anyone who was like me and was a little bit hesitant, but has the skills. Didn't have to cut any of the cars wires which is a big plus!

Mounted the Relay on the battery box side using an existing bolt that holds the fuse box

Click to view larger picture

Ran the cable through the grommet on the drivers side, that has the main wiring loom and bonnet release. There is provision for extra cables which wasn't utilised, so used that.

I bought a switch to suit the MQ cutout from Air on Board. I stopped in there yesterday and grabbed one for $25.
There is 4 wires.
Red - 12v
Black - Earth
Green - Relay
Blue - to tap into the dash illumination, which I didn't use.

I needed to solder a 1A diode to the green wire, picked that up from Jaycar, then heat shrinked all of the connections and tied it up neatly under the dash.

Ran the red cable at the start of the loom to the high beam spot in the fuse box, which was mentioned in the above link which worked a treat and the black to an earth point in the engine bay, checked the continuity and its spot on.

Tested and it all works as it should do!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
anthonyw

Postby Logzy on Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:14 pm

I have the HID headlights too.
Im wondering why you added the 1W diode to the switch. I know the AOL instructions say to for negatively switch vehicles however because your tapping into the positive (of the hid hi beam coil) then you are essentially wiring the light bar circuit as a positively switched circuit,therefore no diode required according to the AOL instructions.

I'm asking because I'm doing the same this week, light bar and AOL switch.
Logzy

Postby mikejams on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:59 am

Can someone just confirm the wire that you fit to the fuse is the wire that is designed to fit to the positive battery terminal?
mikejams

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:12 am

NO! Read my post in the other thread, last night.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby mikejams on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:18 am

Ok cheers mate! Trying to avoid asking you a million questions!
mikejams

Postby mtb247 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:13 am

this thread answers all my questions, thanks anthonyw!
mtb247

Postby a9entjones on Sun May 27, 2018 2:06 pm

Hi.....I'm about to do the same as Anthony with exactly the same gear. The picture referring to the high beam pick-up in the fuse box is no longer hosted, so I'm hoping that one of you can confirm the connection? Both fuse 3 and 4 are listed as high beam in my engine bay fuse box....I am assuming that there is one for each side maybe? Did you just use a fuse tap to pick up power from the fuse 3 position? I'm good with the rest....
Cheers!
a9entjones

Postby sandparkmark on Wed May 30, 2018 8:35 pm

Where the 2 high beam fuses are under the bonnet, inline with them is another visible piece of metal that is connected to the fuses. U can put a terminal on it (3mm I think) and use it as a switching point. Works fine on my exceed..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmnnsunrbfbl6 ... p.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2gv61v1s44r57 ... d.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmkcrn7vg83fc ... .jpeg?dl=0
sandparkmark

Return to Electrical