EGR issues with new motor?

Postby jerrah on Sun May 15, 2016 9:17 pm

I understand the 2.5L in the MN has a reputation of clogging the EGR and requiring regular cleaning of the intake manifold.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this with the new alloy MQ motors?
jerrah

Re: EGR issues with new motor?

Postby ag9111 on Sun May 15, 2016 9:23 pm

Its the 3.2 in the ml that is the problem
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aquagen on Mon May 16, 2016 7:55 am

ag9111 wrote:Its the 3.2 in the ml that is the problem

It's actually pretty much any common rail diesel that's running an egr system. Definitely not just a mitsi problem. And yes the Mq suffers from gunking up. There's a picture on here somewhere of a from memory 5000k pipework that had started to cake up
aquagen

Postby Tony on Mon May 16, 2016 11:10 am

4N15 get an extra dose of soot as open EGR at idle during warm up and in cooler climate.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jerrah on Mon May 16, 2016 4:47 pm

Tony wrote:4N15 get an extra dose of soot as open EGR at idle during warm up and in cooler climate.
I assume the EGR is on the exhaust manifold side of the DPF so doesn't benefit from that either. I've been "aware" of the issue for some time but it sounds like it would be a massive issue for a large number of vehicles on the road as they get older.

By 100,000km the EGR on my MK 2.8TD was completely clogged with soot but it had no sensors to detect anything or throw codes.
jerrah

Postby variflex on Mon May 16, 2016 5:48 pm

The more I read on this forum the more I love my ML
variflex

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue May 17, 2016 3:19 am

variflex wrote:The more I read on this forum the more I love my ML

ML's also suffer from the carbon issue, just like any common rail Diesel with an EGR.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby leonbee on Tue May 17, 2016 6:05 pm

:arrow: Get a manifold clean with the valve adjustment services every 30 clicks.
leonbee

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed May 18, 2016 3:19 am

leonbee wrote::arrow: Get a manifold clean with the valve adjustment services every 30 clicks.

Or close the EGR via the usual method.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Karl on Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:43 pm

Hello all I'm new here.

Trying to decide which ute to get in a couple of months time so going around this site trying to get information on the Triton.

I have done some research on the egr issues. Some sites block them off and other sites say you need to drive them at least for 80Km per hour for 30 min at least to clean the egr e.g. Nissan X trail.

Also that a catch can will help to keep it clean as well as the inter cooler.

Cheers
Karl
Karl

Postby murwullambah on Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:02 pm

Karl wrote:Hello all I'm new here.

Trying to decide which ute to get in a couple of months time so going around this site trying to get information on the Triton.

I have done some research on the egr issues. Some sites block them off and other sites say you need to drive them at least for 80Km per hour for 30 min at least to clean the egr e.g. Nissan X trail.

Also that a catch can will help to keep it clean as well as the inter cooler.

Cheers
Karl

I think you are getting mixed up mate, DPF needs burning off not EGR
murwullambah

Postby mudslinger on Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:04 am

Buy the car, run it in for a few thousand then get a custom tune and get them to turn the egr off effectively,throw acatch can on for safe measure and yr right.
mudslinger

Postby Karl on Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:28 pm

I use to own a Jackaroo diesel with the 4JX1 until it got a major oil leak that I thought would cost to much repair.

When I was on the Jackaroo forum a lot of the people were talking about egr blocking etc. The way they said to fix the clog in the inlet manifold was either to block the egr or put in a catch can, so the oil etc coming from the exhaust side can be collected before it gets to the egr. Since I no longer have a 4WD diesel :( I didn't look into it too much.

But I am looking around for a new to me 4WD in the near future. Thinking of a triton hence joined the site.

So I have been researching more modern diesels (mine was a 2000 model) and have seen the term DPF. DPF is for the Euro 5 compliance?, is that the one that also requires adblue? DPF is short for dust particulate filter and that it cleans itself whilst your driving. Thats the limit of my knowledge.

I am looking at what goodies to put in the new car when I get it and its seams a catch is recommended for keeping the egr clean and not blocking up the inlet manifold.

http://www.berrimadiesel.com/home/q-a-egr-clogged/

Q – I’m a tradie and recently bought a used MN 2.5L turbo diesel common-rail Triton for work. I had an issue within the first few weeks with the intake piping and EGR valve getting clogged up with soot which tripped a few fault codes and occasionally put the vehicle into limp mode. I had it fixed under warranty, but I’m worried it might happen again and I’ll be up for the repair bill next time. Is there anything I can do to prevent this reoccurring?

A – EGR technology is up for debate but no one wants to do it publicly for fear of government prosecution. Its doomed and as mechanics we see the bad end of this technology through many problems including engine damage. It cannot be blocked of legally. It cannot be successfully blocked off in your engine without engine warning lights coming on. Installing an oil fumes catch can ‘may’ keep the inlet manifold slightly less oily and not allow the carbons to stick as much. There are inlet manifold sprays that are designed to dissolve these soft carbons you could try every 10,000km.
Karl

Postby snakesoup on Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:12 pm

DPF. diesel particulate filter

all the egr info is here for you mate, short answer is use Tony's egr resister mod and problem is solved, your thread may be deleted as this subject is already well covered on the forum
edit :sorry mate I just realised your qstn was tacked onto the end of this thread, but research it mate, it's all here
snakesoup

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:38 pm

MN do not have a DPF

To solve the problem "soot" problem on a MN fit one of these
http://chiptuning.com.au/products-page/egr_module/
or
http://www.4wdsupplies.com.au/windboost ... ton-06-on/
or
PM user "Tony" for one
L200Shogun