MR front calipers and 320mm rotors on a MQ

MR front calipers and 320mm rotors on a MQ

Postby AlexMQ on Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:33 pm

Gday all,
First an apology if this isnt the right area to ask but it was a toss up between here and servicing.

So my 2017 mq gls manual dual cab is finally due for some front brakes due to rotors warping (not interested in getting them machined). i have done 92,000km and still have 1/3 of the original pads left so its not from racecar driving. When looking for new rotors i came across the fact that some MR trtions have a dual pistion caliper and 320mm rotors where as my MQ has 295mm and single pisiton calipers.

So i would like to ask will the better calipers bolt straight on or will i need the spindles,lines,ABS Either pump or program to tell current system whats going on,Master cylinder/brake booster and backing plates off of a MR?

Also if anyone has done this was it worth it? i dont do offroading but i like good brakes and if im doing pads and rotors anyway i might as well do a bit of an upgrade.

Thabk you for your time.
Alex.
AlexMQ

Re: MR front calipers and 320mm rotors on a MQ

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:42 am

Sounds like a really good upgrade, if it can be done.

Start by having a look at the component parts on Amayama or Partsouq. That will give you part numbers (and pricing) but from the numbers you should be able to work out what's required.

Things that come to mind, for checking, are wheels big enough to accommodate the bigger discs and calipers, does master cylinder have enough capacity for the bigger/dual piston calipers.

Once you've established if it's feasible then maybe most parts could be sourced from a wrecked MR.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to Drive Train Components