Wrong spare wheel type on MQ GLX+

Wrong spare wheel type on MQ GLX+

Postby mini on Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:39 am

Hi Users, My query / request is for 2017 MQ Triton Dual cab GLX+ owners only. Could those who bought a MQ GLX+ dual cab get down on your hands and knees and have a look to see if you have a Steel or Alloy wheel as a spare. I bought my GLX+ new from my local dealer and have just come to see that my under slung spare wheel is a black steel rim wheel. The glossy brochure (which I still have) tells me on Page 14 that my model comes with a 16" Alloy for the 4 road wheels AND the spare, the two higher models being the GLS and EXCEED have 17" alloys for their spare. All lower models have the steel wheels. NO, I have not approached the selling dealer yet, just waiting to hear what every else has got first. My MQ is a late 1997 MQ Manual GLX+. Thanks for looking guys/gals
mini

Re: Wrong spare wheel type on MQ GLX+

Postby no_more_fg_falcon on Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:01 pm

Hi

I've never paid much thought to it, but my early 2018 build MQ GLX+ has the same wheel set as yours. 4x 16" alloys, and a 16" steel rim as the spare. Purchased brand new mid 2018 and I've not used the spare yet.

EDIT: Just realised that your post asked for 2017 owners only. My bad.
2018 MQ GLX+ / 6MT / Bridgestone AT D697 / TJM: Tradesman bullbar | Rear Step Bar | XGS suspension
no_more_fg_falcon

Postby gartam on Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:08 pm

Mine is a 17 and came with a steel spare from new.
gartam

Postby aids84 on Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:50 am

Typically all Tritons with 16" wheels came with a steel spare. They never made a 17" steely so the only option was to give them alloy spares.

Might be worth talking with the dealer, especially if you have a good relationship with them and get your servicing done with them. They might have a set or two of standard alloys kicking around somewhere, some dealers like to dress up their older stock with aftermarket rims and stuff to get them moving.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mini on Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:45 am

no_more_fg_falcon wrote:Hi

I've never paid much thought to it, but my early 2018 build MQ GLX+ has the same wheel set as yours. 4x 16" alloys, and a 16" steel rim as the spare. Purchased brand new mid 2018 and I've not used the spare yet.

EDIT: Just realised that your post asked for 2017 owners only. My bad.

No, it meant GLX+ only, the year does not matter, can we use the same nuts do you know.? BTW, I used to have a ML GLX-R and my MQ is so much more economical. (1.3 litres / 100 better off)
mini

Postby mini on Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:48 am

aids84 wrote:Typically all Tritons with 16" wheels came with a steel spare. They never made a 17" steely so the only option was to give them alloy spares.

Might be worth talking with the dealer, especially if you have a good relationship with them and get your servicing done with them. They might have a set or two of standard alloys kicking around somewhere, some dealers like to dress up their older stock with aftermarket rims and stuff to get them moving.

Yes, will talk to my dealer, I would like to rotate the spare in with the rest but a stand out black would spoil its other wise good looks
mini

Return to Tyres & Wheels