Rear Shocks
Greasable shackles
Shackle bushes and bolts
Fitted and wheel alignment
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Re: MQ lift kits.

Postby Tasc4life on Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:16 pm

I have recently had an Ironman kit installed on my MQ.
Cost: $2000

This included;
- foam cell front struts and constant load springs.
- foam cell rear shocks and performance 'b' springs (medium load)
- great able shackles and pins (not standard in kit but git thrown in)
- bushes kit for everything

Their suspension rating guide can be found here;
http://www.ironman4x4.com/spring-selection
(hope link works)

Originally I was a little frustrated with the lift! Almost to the point I wished I kept the old gear to put back in, but most of my issues seemed to be 'more tolerable' (definitely not gone) when the desired weight was added.

The b spring is light to medium load, and initially my use was not only unloaded, but I put on an alloy tray (supposed to weigh less than factory body).

On delivery It had a very nose down arse up look, and was told the front gained 35mm lift and the rear the full 50mm. When I measured them though, the measurements on the front were exactly the same as when stock however I did have a Bullbar, winch and side steps ect added with the suspension. The fitting mob said both their before and after measurements were taken after the bar work was added to give an accurate reading.

This annoyed me initially, but seemed reasonable I guess, even though I had the constant load in to accommodate the weight (and try keep lift). The rear springs were stiff as a board too, and bounced around like crazy!

Then the dreaded shudder! This seemed to get worse after a good run towing a van down south and initially I thought it was the fact it was worn in that made it worse. I soon realized that when I filled up the tank, that it was the lesser weight (from empty tank) that made it more prominent when driving!

I have recently installed a canopy weighing in about 100 which has improved the shudder a heap, however the empty tank still makes it worse. When it had all Jacks and side rails in the rear it was almost shudder free.

As a plus, the added counter weight at the rear caused the front to raise 10mm and dropped the rear about the same. It still noticeably raised in the rear, but with the installation of some more things I reckon it will be spot on.

All in all, I wasn't overly happy, but am now much more happy (and not wanting to rip it out). Moral of the story, when picking what to get, make sure you set it up with what you want out of the vehicle! I wanted to carry weight, just nothing ridiculous which is why I went the b spring. Once I sort out the shudder thing I reaching the Ironman kit will serve me well!
Tasc4life

Postby RG76 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:29 pm

I was looking at the spacer and the shims, my diff points upwards now and the tail shaft has moved about 10mm out of the centre bearing. The shudder I have is very light and is only felt between 15-20k's but it's enough to annoy me. Has anyone tried fitting a tail shaft spacer kit yet?
RG76

Postby Tasc4life on Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:16 pm

RG76 wrote:I was looking at the spacer and the shims, my diff points upwards now and the tail shaft has moved about 10mm out of the centre bearing. The shudder I have is very light and is only felt between 15-20k's but it's enough to annoy me. Has anyone tried fitting a tail shaft spacer kit yet?

I haven't purchased one yet, but looks no at the kits online including the shims, just not sure I want to do it yet. Might take it in and see what kind of angles it got at the moment, then buy to suit.

Have you loaded the rear up yet to see if it changes you vibrations RG76?
Tasc4life

Postby schilgsy on Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:14 am

Looking at the TJM kit online they recommend a centre bearing lowering kit, as they call it. It doesn't come in the kit but can be purchased separately.
Am going to try to get to my local store today to get more info, will post any details if I get there.
schilgsy

Postby Tasc4life on Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:45 am

schilgsy wrote:Looking at the TJM kit online they recommend a centre bearing lowering kit, as they call it. It doesn't come in the kit but can be purchased separately.
Am going to try to get to my local store today to get more info, will post any details if I get there.

I'll have to have a look at those, I can't see how the centre bearing g on the Mq can be lowered. I posted this up in the centre bearing thread, but got no replies. Is this the same centre bearing that is on the MN??
Click to view larger picture
Tasc4life

Postby RG76 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:14 am

Tasc4life wrote:
RG76 wrote:I was looking at the spacer and the shims, my diff points upwards now and the tail shaft has moved about 10mm out of the centre bearing. The shudder I have is very light and is only felt between 15-20k's but it's enough to annoy me. Has anyone tried fitting a tail shaft spacer kit yet?

I haven't purchased one yet, but looks no at the kits online including the shims, just not sure I want to do it yet. Might take it in and see what kind of angles it got at the moment, then buy to suit.

Have you loaded the rear up yet to see if it changes you vibrations RG76?

I've been driving around with 60kgs of sand in the very back of the tray for the last few days but haven't noticed an overall change in the vibration. I really think the diff needs to roll forward so that its more level and a tail shaft spacer also be installed.

Lowering the centre bearing is not an option as per your picture above, the bearing sit on top of the cross member so there is not room for movement. :(
RG76

Postby RG76 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:20 am

BTW my TJM kit came with a cash back offer hence the price, not sure if they're still offering it at the moment :?: :?: :?:
RG76

Postby Tasc4life on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:07 am

RG76 wrote:BTW my TJM kit came with a cash back offer hence the price, not sure if they're still offering it at the moment :?: :?: :?:

Yeah I didn't think it could be changed. The shims and tails haft spacer may be the only option.

I'll have to take it somewhere and get the angles measured to see which degree shim to get!
Tasc4life

Postby schilgsy on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:27 am

My ML diesel auto had a single piece tailshaft and the manuals had a 2 piece. Is it the same with the MQ or are they all 2 piece now?
schilgsy

Postby RG76 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:00 am

TJM have just released a centre bearing spacer for the MQ. Not sure how it works with the current set up but I have my dealer getting more details for me.

Just found that they manufacture a new cradle for the centre bearing and drop it down 7mm, $210 supply/fitted.
RG76

Postby Dunga71 on Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:47 pm

Mine in this thurs for the OME kit,pics to follow on my build page,im guessing its a Tailshaft spacer your all talking about,common with previous models with 2 piece tail shafts,will see how my lift goes and wether I get the shudder or not
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Postby RG76 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:56 am

No not the tail shaft spacer, it's the centre bearing. They've made a cradle to drop it another 7mm, there is approx 10mm of clearance to the cross member at the moment. I've got one on order and should have it fitted by the end of the week, they've assured me it resolves the 1st gear shudder.
RG76

Postby RG76 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:57 am

Got the new CB cradle installed at TJM today and it seems to have resolved the shudder, although I am running muddies it seems to have gone. The new cradle basically sits the CB right on top of the cross member with only a 1-2mm gap. Will see if I can notice anything when I put the road going tyres on this weekend but so far it looks promising. :D
RG76

Postby Tasc4life on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:15 pm

RG76 wrote:Got the new CB cradle installed at TJM today and it seems to have resolved the shudder, although I am running muddies it seems to have gone. The new cradle basically sits the CB right on top of the cross member with only a 1-2mm gap. Will see if I can notice anything when I put the road going tyres on this weekend but so far it looks promising. :D

Do you have any pictures mate, I'm keen to get one them but my local tjm hasn't been able to get any info to me pic wise. The didn't know anything about it being available for the Mq
Tasc4life

Postby Tasc4life on Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:25 pm

Tasc4life wrote:
RG76 wrote:Got the new CB cradle installed at TJM today

Do you have any pictures mate, I'm keen to get one them but my local tjm hasn't been able to get any info to me pic wise.

Disregard, he sent them through today.

For anyone interested, this is the TJM centre bearing spacer;

Another item they list for the MQ is a rebound bumpstop. Not sure if it's to replace factory and is shorter or softer to assist with travel or its a replacement similar to genuine?? The guy didn't know either which I found funny, he didn't even know it existed..

The image I received isn't the best but by the looks of it, it's the little flattened bright yellow piece ;)
Click to view larger picture not sure if this is what installing their suspension causes, or whether this is at full drop? But would changing bumpstop to something like this possibly cause the CV's some dramas??
Tasc4life

Postby rsv4dan on Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:16 pm

Tasc4life wrote:
Tasc4life wrote:

Do you have any pictures mate, I'm keen to get one them but my local tjm hasn't been able to get any info to me pic wise.

Which tjm sold you this? i have contacted tjm and they cant tell me anything about it
rsv4dan

Postby Tasc4life on Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:49 am

rsv4dan wrote:
Tasc4life wrote:
Tasc4life wrote:[quote="RG76"]Got the new CB cradle installed at TJM today

Which tjm sold you this? i have contacted tjm and they cant tell me anything about it[/quote]
I haven't purchased one yet, I just enquired. I spoke with the Wollongong NSW store. Initially he knew nothing of them but had a look on their system and saw the two things. They are $100 each to buy
Tasc4life

Postby coughy on Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:35 am

Tasc4life wrote:
Tasc4life wrote:

Another item they list for the MQ is a rebound bumpstop. Not sure if it's to replace factory and is shorter or softer to assist with travel or its a replacement similar to genuine?? The guy didn't know either which I found funny, he didn't even know it existed..

The image I received isn't the best but by the looks of it, it's the little flattened bright yellow piece ;)
Click to view larger picture not sure if this is what installing their suspension causes, or whether this is at full drop? But would changing bumpstop to something like this possibly cause the CV's some dramas??

yes and no
it makes the cv shaft go on a big angle
i was always told to keep the shafts close to flat with a little angle
not a heap like that will do puts more strain on the cv and will cause premature breakage
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RG76 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:40 am

TJM Southside Carlton, ask for David.
RG76

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:52 am

Almost no suspension travel (down) left there. Pointless "upgrade" imho except for looks of height.

L200Shogun

Postby Sandstorm76 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:53 pm

Ok. Narrowed my shock absorber choices down for my MQ exceed suspension lift to Bilstein or Ultimate. I'd like to hear feedback to help me choose. What are your thoughts? Interested to hear from those who may have used both. Thanks
Sandstorm76

Postby schilgsy on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:26 pm

TJM suspension upgrade fitted today. Click photos to enlarge.
schilgsy

Postby RG76 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:12 pm

Looks good, I don't mind the PB Challenger wheels either ;)
RG76

Postby triton_guru on Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:38 pm

For the centre bearing just chop the mounts and lower them until the centre vearing is a few mm off of the cross member. I took the same approach with my ml years ago
triton_guru

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension